Crabbypatty

Adjustment of status for spouses child

12 posts in this topic

Hey, 

we are filing adjustment of status from esta for myself and my child  ( 3 years old). 

i couldn’t find much Information on how exactly to file for my child. Uscis page said we need to file form I-130 as well as I-485. does anyone have experience with filing for a child and are there checklist on which forms to file for children especially? Is it really just those two forms?

we will mail my application together with my child’s and separate them with a clear folder, that’s the info I got from here so far. 

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Crabbypatty

File same forms for child as for you: I-130, I-485, I-765, I-131 , I-864 and do medicals ( I-693). There is no extra filing fee for the I-765/I-131 at this time and it is advantageous. You sign your name on all forms for child / applicant . Example Crabby Patti, mother

Use the same supporting documentation for both packets , make sure each packet has its own complete copy of documentation, then you keep a copy of each set as filed. 

You seal each packet in its own envelope, then place both envelopes in one flat rate  priority mail / medium box . On box write Attn Mailroom Supervisor: Family of Two DO NOT SEPARATE.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
50 minutes ago, Crabbypatty said:

are there checklist on which forms to file for children especially? Is it really just those two forms

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Presumably the father is ok with the child immigrating and you have the necessary permission 

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

4 hours ago, Family said:

File same forms for child as for you: I-130, I-485, I-765, I-131 , I-864 and do medicals ( I-693). There is no extra filing fee for the I-765/I-131 at this time and it is advantageous. You sign your name on all forms for child / applicant . Example Crabby Patti, mother

Use the same supporting documentation for both packets , make sure each packet has its own complete copy of documentation, then you keep a copy of each set as filed. 

You seal each packet in its own envelope, then place both envelopes in one flat rate  priority mail / medium box . On box write Attn Mailroom Supervisor: Family of Two DO NOT SEPARATE.

Thank you! Very helpful especially the info about how to exactly package the two different applications. Will definitely do that 

On 4/13/2023 at 7:09 PM, Crabbypatty said:

Thank you! Very helpful especially the info about how to exactly package the two different applications. Will definitely do that 

Quick question: are you sure about form I-765 for my child? As it’s a work permit it doesn’t make sense, or am I missing anything? I-130a I don’t have to fill out for my child either, correct?  Thanks in advance! 

On 4/13/2023 at 2:47 PM, Family said:

Quick question: are you sure about form I-765 for my child? As it’s a work permit it doesn’t make sense, or am I missing anything? I-130a I don’t have to fill out for my child either, correct?  Thanks in advance! 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
6 hours ago, Crabbypatty said:

Quick question: are you sure about form I-765 for my child?

yes

As it’s a work permit it doesn’t make sense,

Where it makes sense for a child to work is situation specific (but when I turn on the TV I see kids working all the time) . An EAD is proof of authorized presence. EAD holders are able eligible to get SSNs. Dependents with SSNs can be claimed on their parents’ tax returns. People with SSNs have an easier time getting health insurance, opening bank accounts, being listed as beneficiaries of financial accounts, getting state ID and drivers licenses, etc. 

I-130a I don’t have to fill out for my child either, correct?  

Correct

3 hours ago, Mike E said:

yes

Where it makes sense for a child to work is situation specific (but when I turn on the TV I see kids working all the time) . An EAD is proof of authorized presence. EAD holders are able eligible to get SSNs. Dependents with SSNs can be claimed on their parents’ tax returns. People with SSNs have an easier time getting health insurance, opening bank accounts, being listed as beneficiaries of financial accounts, getting state ID and drivers licenses, etc. 

Correct

Ok that makes sense. So it’s more for getting the ssn so that my child can be on the tax returns etc. cause my child is only three I was just wondering but what you’re saying does make sense now, thank you for the information! 

3 hours ago, Family said:

No I-130 A for the child. 
I-765 is not required but it can serve as a useful identification for status and obtaining a Social Security card in case AOS is delayed 

Thank you! 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/13/2023 at 3:38 PM, Boiler said:

Presumably the father is ok with the child immigrating and you have the necessary permission 

The father is not in the child’s life and I have sole custody. He’s not even on the birth certificate. How do I proof „necessary permission“ to uscis in that case? 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

That seems to vary according to the country concerned, for example Philippines I know is not a problem. The Mother has all the rights in this situation.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.