Verrou

Unrestricted SSN card at SSA office after GC in hand

56 posts in this topic

Awww I’m sorry it is a hassle for you after all this waiting you’ve done on your visa journey. 

Interestingly I also went today to have my SSN unrestricted and await it in the mail. All I needed to show was my GC.

I hope it’s resolved soon for you!

@root_root_user I did check and it said “returned to agency” whatever that means 

@TedsGirl if you got it without hassle according to @OldUser u must wake up at 5 am, drove for 3 hours and wait in line for 1 hour LOL …jk 😬

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

TBH, I haven’t updated mine. Mine says with work authorization only, but my GC is work authorization. I will do it after my naturalization ceremony, which seems to be a semi common thing, whether it’s right or wrong, it just is. 

The SSA really are the lowest common denominator of government agencies. 

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 Visa spreadsheet: follow directions at top of page for data to be added

Just now, mam521 said:

TBH, I haven’t updated mine. Mine says with work authorization only, but my GC is work authorization. I will do it after my naturalization ceremony, which seems to be a semi common thing, whether it’s right or wrong, it just is. 

The SSA really are the lowest common denominator of government agencies. 

I guess it's OK if you're about to get naturalized. One of the reasons why people get unrestricted SS card is when they have a conditional GC which is only valid for 2 years. Many employers don't understand how it works and put a lot of stress on LPRs, asking for extension letters etc. Also, in case if GC is lost, it removes any anxiety with changing jobs. But if you're close to being a citizen, it doesn't matter anymore.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
Just now, OldUser said:

I guess it's OK if you're about to get naturalized. One of the reasons why people get unrestricted SS card is when they have a conditional GC which is only valid for 2 years. Many employers don't understand how it works and put a lot of stress on LPRs, asking for extension letters etc. Also, in case if GC is lost, it removes any anxiety with changing jobs. But if you're close to being a citizen, it doesn't matter anymore.

I understand that. Just like everything immi, everyone has their reasons for doing what they do. 

The unfortunate reality is the SSA is about as educated as a lot of HR personnel. Interestingly, there is guidance directly from USCIS with some instructions on how to fill out the I-9 with an extension letter. The info might be useful to others who’ve recently been issued those long extensions. 

https://www.uscis.gov/i-9-central/form-i-9-related-news/form-i-751-and-i-829-48-month-extension

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 Visa spreadsheet: follow directions at top of page for data to be added

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: India
Timeline
44 minutes ago, Misscloud said:

@root_root_user I did check and it said “returned to agency” whatever that means 

That should be good then. Returned to agency typically means they did the verification and SSN should be arriving in one to two weeks. For me the case status changed to "returned to agency" after a month and then I received the SSN card in about a week. Hope you get yours soon!

i talked with someone who has similar issue. she went to SSA office on 4/5 and she already got her GC last october. same issue. she checked her SAVE and both of us has 3 data pull from SSA office when we looked on the website. all 3 of mine " returned to agency" while hers 2 are "returned to agency" and 1 is "under reviews" 

Edited by Misscloud

I hope everything will resolve itself for you, and definitely best of luck at the DMV (I have faint memories of waiting in my local DMV for an entire afternoon while they were doing their checks on everything - and that was with an appointment and way more than 10 business days past). 

My experience has been that the 10 business days are the absolute minimum necessary, so to be on the safe side, I would just give it at least that. If - for whatever reason - they still don’t have a record of you and send you away after that, be sure that you know what the rules, laws, and current guidelines for the specific department you’re dealing with are. Now, I’m just an N of 1, and my initial immigration “hurdles” were all pre-COVID. 

Best of luck to you! 

Edited by CMJuilland

ROC: 

12/30/2019 package sent to Texas Lockbox via USPS 

12/31/2019 package arrived at Texas Lockbox 

01/02/2020 package signed for

01/04/2020 $680 charged on credit card

01/06/2020 text message and email with case number received

01/09/2020 extension letter received; notice date: 01/03/2020

02/22/2020 biometrics appointment letter received 

03/06/2020 biometrics appointment 

08/09/2021 I-751 approved

08/16/2021 Green Card received

Naturalization:

12/29/2020 application filed online and receipt number received 

01/04/2021 hard copy NOA1 received 

02/27/2021 electronic biometric reuse letter received

09/19/2021 interview scheduled - electronic notice received 

09/27/2021 hard copy interview notice received (issue date: 09/21/2021)

10/27/2021 interview (10.40am), approved

11/06/2021 oath ceremony (7.30am) 

I AM A U.S. CITIZEN!!!!! 

Passport:

11/08/2021 appointment at USPS (2.00pm)

11/16/2021 money order cashed, passport “in process” (locator 69)

12/02/2021 approved and shipped

12/04/2021 passport book delivered

12/13/2021 passport card and NC delivered 

15 minutes ago, Mike E said:

The reason to get an unrestricted SS card is that it is a valid I-9 list C document that never expires.

It all fun and games when you have your unexpired gc. It becomes a nightmare when the gc and the job are lost, and USCIS says it has no available appointments for an ADIT stamp. I have posted replies to people in this situation dozens of times. Those who have an unrestricted gc have a good day. Those who have a restricted gc have a bad day.

If you don’t work or plan to work or need to work, then you do not need a new SS card. My wife is in all 3 categories, and I still woke her up at 6 am to get her SS card unrestricted. Because I am a monster who prepares for the worst case scenario. 

i asked same question on Reddit and got roasted. they adamant no matter if u gave list B + list C, as LPR u still need to show the GC because of the alien number? is that correct ?i highlight that u can use list A OR list B+list C and got downvoted 😁

but i always wanna be prepare. my immigration journey never smooth sailing from the beginning, better have umbrella before it rain

Edited by Misscloud

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
2 minutes ago, Misscloud said:

i asked same question on Reddit and got roasted. they adamant no matter if u gave list B + list C, as LPR u still need to show the GC because of the alien number? is that correct ?i highlight that u can use list A OR list B+list C and got downvoted 😁

What you were told on reddit was incorrect.

By law you cannot be compelled to show your I-551 if you have other I-9 documents.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
14 minutes ago, Misscloud said:

Typical Reddit.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

The SSA office gave us the worst time when we tried to get my husband's Social Security card after he came here on a K1. First trip we're told "you're here too soon, come back in a week or so" (wasn't true, we should have been able to get it right then). I mention that we will be married in a week, and ask if it will be a problem. We were told "Nope, all good".  We go back 10 days later, and we're told "We can't process this because you're married now" (false). My husband ended up having to wait to get his EAD/AP card to get the SSN. We didn't bother getting the unrestricted card. Citizenship interview is next month so shouldn't matter after that. 

@Misscloud I hope it works out soon! SSA is notorious for telling you something different each time you speak to a new person. 

As a side note about documents for employment verification, it's a slight pet peeve of mine when employers ask specifically for a copy of your driver's license + social security card. It's just one combination of documents that are acceptable, out of many. I've used my passport a couple of times and both times the HR person was thrown off by it. Also, (unexpired) green cards and EAD cards are Class A documents - but I've seen so many employers treat them like a driver's license and ask for the SSN as well. 

K1 to AOS                                                                                   AOS/EAD/AP                                                                      N-400

03/01/2018 - I-129F Mailed                                              06/19/2019 - NOA1 Date                                              01/27/2023 - N-400 Filed Online

03/08/2018 - NOA1 Date                                                    07/11/2019 - Biometrics Appt                                   02/23/2023 - Biometrics Appt
09/14/2018 - NOA2 Date                                                    12/13/2019 - EAD/AP Approved                               04/03/2023 - Interview Scheduled

10/16/2018 - NVC Received                                              12/17/2019 - Interview Scheduled                          05/10/2023 - Interview - APPROVED!

10/21/2018 - Packet 3 Received                                      01/29/2020 - Interview - APPROVED!                  OFFICIALLY A U.S. CITIZEN! 

12/30/2018 - Packet 3 Sent                                               02/04/2020 - Green Card Received! 

01/06/2019 - Packet 4 Received                                     ROC - I-751

01/29/2019 - Interview - APPROVED!                           11/02/2021 - Mailed ROC Packet

02/05/2019 - Visa Received                                             11/04/2021 - NOA1 Date

05/17/2019 - U.S. Arrival                                                     01/19/2022 - Biometrics Waived

05/24/2019 - Married ❤️                                                    02/04/2023 - Transferred to New Office

06/14/2019 - Mailed AOS Packet                                    05/10/2023 - APPROVED!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.