dle3452

Marriage in Philippines

27 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
20 hours ago, Mountainside said:

Yes.  Because, and ONLY because I could prove I was both a US and Philippine domiciliary, we were able to file directly in Manila.  It was a huge time-saver for us.  See pages 5-6 of the Form I-864 Instructions for pertinent domicile conditions.  Feel free to PM me if you wish.

Hi, I have been making the house payment here since jan 2020, it was part of our agreement so she could come home and get the annulment. The house is in her kids name, she is buying it for them. I have receipts and bank statements that show withdraws at philippine ATMs to make the payments.  I looked at form I-864 and it is talking about tax records which I dont have any deductions for either of my homes.  

I am not very familar how visajourney works, how do I PM you?

Timeline
19 hours ago, top_secret said:

That no longer needs to be notarized by the Embassy.  ANY notary in the Philippines can notarize it.  The relevant Philippine rule is here.  https://psa.gov.ph/sites/default/files/MC NO. 2021-04 Local or Philippine Notarization of Affidavits in lieu of Certificates of Legal Capacity to Contract Marriages.pdf It covers all nationalities but it includes a US Citizen specific example on page 3.

Thank you for the information, I had a copy of the Affidavit in Lieu of letter, I liked the one you sent me better, I was able to fill it out on the computer and print it.  We will visit the stastics center next week and I will find out for sure where I need to have it notarized.

Thanks for your advice, much appreciated

Dan & Juliana

On 4/6/2023 at 7:44 AM, Mountainside said:

Yes.  Because, and ONLY because I could prove I was both a US and Philippine domiciliary, we were able to file directly in Manila.  It was a huge time-saver for us.  See pages 5-6 of the Form I-864 Instructions for pertinent domicile conditions.  Feel free to PM me if you wish.

Unfortunately direct consulate filing doesn't exist anymore for anyone 

5 hours ago, IWander said:

Unfortunately direct consulate filing doesn't exist anymore for anyone

I'm sorry now that I that I troubled the OP with a war story about an avenue that no longer exists.  Thank you for setting things straight.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
10 minutes ago, Mountainside said:

I'm sorry now that I that I troubled the OP with a war story about an avenue that no longer exists.  Thank you for setting things straight.

For exceptional circumstances, it does exist at the discretion of every consulate.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline
On 4/9/2023 at 9:12 PM, Mountainside said:

Since we will be in Manila tomorrow, we will stop by the embassy and inquire about it.  All the can tell me is no.

Hi, I am not sure if I have any more info that is useful since other posters have already given good answers and advice.

I married my wife in the Philippines in May 2014. I did fill out the contact to legally marry and made an appointment at the us embassy in manila to get it notarize, that is the reason you go to the embassy, but I read another post you can go to other notarize places in the Philippines that might be better I do not know. When I did it you had to go to embassy

after you get that notarize you can go to the civil building, we went to the one in Manila as that is where my wife was living at the time.

They go over your info and depending on age of your fiancé there. There are requirements I just do not remember exactly. But bring extra money.as they will drop the extra requirement.

Then it took about 10 days to get the Marriage license, after you getit,t you can marry anywhere in the philippines. I was little worry as I had 15 days in the philippines

We got the Marriage license and flew to Bohol from Manila. We got married at her parents' house. The mayor of the town they live in officiated the wedding

Just make sure your trip there is at least 15 days to be able to get Marriage license in time. Also, ask for rush on NSO marriage License as that is what they require for I-30 visa. I did not and got aRFE return for evidence I sent in the local Marriage certificate instead of the NSO as that is what I had when I submitted info for I-30. I   had to request a copy from the NSO in the Philippines for a copy of the Marriage certificate

Congratulation on your future wedding

best wishes 

Edited by j&ana

ROC
Service Center : Nebraska Service Center
Consulate : Manila, Philippines
Marriage (if applicable): 2014-05-20
I-130 Sent : 2014-10-06
I-130 NOA1 : 2014-10-09
I-130 RFE for NSO copy of marriage certificate: 2014-11-03
I-130 RFE Sent : 2014-11-18
I-130 Approved : 2014-12-07
NVC Received : 2014-12-23
NVC case number: 2015-02-04
Received DS-261 / AOS Bill : 2015-02-04
Pay AOS Bill : 2015-02-05
Submit DS-261 : 2015-02-05
Sent AOS Package : 2015-02-09
Sent IV Package : 2015-02-09
Scan date : 2015-02-10
Receive IV Bill : 2015-03-03
Pay IV Bill : 2015-03-06
Submit DS-260: 2015-3-12
Case Completed at NVC : 2015-03-20
Receive Instruction and Interview appointment letter: 2015-3-27
Medical complete: 2015-04-08
Interview Date : 2015-05-08
Interview Result : Approved
Visa Received : 2015-05-13

Date of US Entry : 2015-06-09

Date of Social Security card receive : 06-2015

Date of Green Card received 07-2015

Date of ROC FILE 05-19-2017

I-751 NOA Date 05-26-2017

http://jerryjja.wix.com/filipinasaswa?_ga=1.194674661.91538870.1441656248

2 hours ago, j&ana said:

Hi, I am not sure if I have any more info that is useful since other posters have already given good answers and advice.

I married my wife in the Philippines in May 2014. I did fill out the contact to legally marry and made an appointment at the us embassy in manila to get it notarize, that is the reason you go to the embassy, but I read another post you can go to other notarize places in the Philippines that might be better I do not know. When I did it you had to go to embassy

after you get that notarize you can go to the civil building, we went to the one in Manila as that is where my wife was living at the time.

They go over your info and depending on age of your fiancé there. There are requirements I just do not remember exactly. But bring extra money.as they will drop the extra requirement.

Then it took about 10 days to get the Marriage license, after you getit,t you can marry anywhere in the philippines. I was little worry as I had 15 days in the philippines

We got the Marriage license and flew to Bohol from Manila. We got married at her parents' house. The mayor of the town they live in officiated the wedding

Just make sure your trip there is at least 15 days to be able to get Marriage license in time. Also, ask for rush on NSO marriage License as that is what they require for I-30 visa. I did not and got aRFE return for evidence I sent in the local Marriage certificate instead of the NSO as that is what I had when I submitted info for I-30. I   had to request a copy from the NSO in the Philippines for a copy of the Marriage certificate

best wishes 

NSO doesn't exist anymore.  A marriage certificate from PSA is the required document now.

@dle3452  Not sure where you are, but the embassy has outreaches where you can get notary services and other services.  I did my "Affidavit in lieu of Certificate of Legal Capacity to Contract Marriage For American Citizens" at an outreach, in 2015.  They provide the form and the cost is $50.

As other said, maybe you don't need the U.S. notary anymore, but I wanted to mention it.  There is an outreach in Iloilo this week.

https://ph.usembassy.gov/message-for-u-s-citizens-remote-services-in-iloilo-city-on-april-14-2023/

The U.S. Embassy’s American Citizen Services (ACS) team will visit Iloilo City on April 14 to provide services to U.S. citizens including:

• Notary services,
  • Acceptance of Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) applications, and
  • Acceptance of U.S. passport applications.  Please note that many passport renewals can be submitted by mail—visit https://ph.usembassy.gov/passports/ for details.  While all applicants are welcome to attend, personal appearances are only required for:
    • Applications by minors under age 18 (both parents must also appear, if possible),
    • Replacement of lost or stolen passports,
    • First-time passport applications, or the first application after age 16, and
    • Applications to renew a passport issued more than 15 years ago.

The Embassy has received confirmation that the Philippines Bureau of Immigration will attend this event.

Spouse

Nov. 29th, 2020: I-130 submitted online, NOA 1 Nov. 30th, 2020

Feb. 19th, 2021: Case Is Being Actively Reviewed By USCIS

Feb. 19th, 2021: I-130 Approved 😊

Feb. 25th, 2021: Welcome letter from NVC

Mar. 9th, 2021:  Received Hard Copy NOA 2 I-797 in mail

October, 2021: One Year Postponement of Move, Visa Completion On Hold

Feb. 4th, 2022: Submitted DS 260

Stepdaughter

Dec. 9th, 2020: Case Is Being Actively Reviewed By USCIS

5 hours ago, dle3452 said:

Since we will be in Manila tomorrow, we will stop by the embassy and inquire about it.  All the can tell me is no.

Another option you will have after filing all the visa paperwork is to request an expedite.  One of the reasons that they might approve an expedite is if you are having to pay the costs of maintaining two residences, and it sounded like that might be your case.

I used to do some trout fishing up in the Bridgeport area.  Beautiful area!  They might still have snow in the mountains when you get there, after all the heavy snow this year.  I skied Lake Tahoe on July 4th one year!

Spouse

Stepdaughter

Dec. 9th, 2020: Case Is Being Actively Reviewed By USCIS

Timeline
On 4/11/2023 at 10:31 AM, j&ana said:

best wishes 

We went to the statistics center yesterday for the annulment decree, they said to return on April 21st.  On the affidavit, I can have it notarized anywhere now and the annulment doesnt need to be publicized as her lawyer kept telling us that it was needed. 

Thanks for all your info and advice.

Dan and Juliana

Timeline

I have been the camp host at Honeymoon Flat since 2016, I'm not going to be able to make it this year for opener.  They arent sure when it is going to open due to all the snow.  My goal for coming here is to get married, I cant believe how long and the hassle it is to get the final annulment document,  We went to the statistic center yesterday to check on it and was told to come back on April 21st to pick it up.  After that we can start the marriage process, I hope its no as complicated and time consuming as the annulment.  Once we get married I can get back to my camphost job.  Luckily, my 5th wheel is parked in Smith Valley NV 55 miles north off 395.  If youre ever in the area, stop in sometime and say hi.  

Thanks for the advice.

Dan and Juliana

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.