tw2mn

Letter from employer (cr1) HELP (merged)

33 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Taiwan
Timeline

Yes there are multiple threads on this already but all very very outdated. Wondering if things have changed / there is a more clear answer now. Thanks all. 

So, as the title says, on the i-864, write N/A or leave spaces blank?

Thanks everyone!

Edited by tw2mn

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

"N/A" is the the best practice for the sections that allow it.

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
35 minutes ago, tw2mn said:

Yes there are multiple threads on this already but all very very outdated. Wondering if things have changed / there is a more clear answer now. Thanks all. 

So, as the title says, on the i-864, write N/A or leave spaces blank?

Thanks everyone!

"N/A", "none", or "0" (as appropriate) are the preferred entries for non-applicable form fields.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline

For those of you working overseas (not a US company), will you / did you attach anything to your i-864 for showing taxes that resembles a W2? 

It says directly in the instructions to not submit any tax returns from a foreign government (continues to a specific situation not relevant to the Q). Yet it also says that if you don't use a tax return transcript, that you must provide everything with your taxes, including a W2.

Is it obvious to NVC that I don't have a W2 in this situation, or should I write a note at the end of the i-864 about it, OR was I actually supposed to do a W2 (hopefully not!!!)? 

Timeline

For the i-864

I have my 2022 and 2021 tax returns as well as the IRS tax return transcripts. 

For 2020 I have an unresolved issue. I amended my taxes for that year and thought they were done. However, just found out that since I didn't reply to a 5071C  letter (verifying identity)the IRS sent me, it is considered incomplete.

They resent me the form and I will send it out to fix the problem but it will take around 6 months. I have my tax return from 2020 along with the amended form. But I can't get the tax return transcript online since it is not complete. 

Any suggestions?

I'm considering the following options

- Send in only the 2022 tax transcript (in this case if I got an RFE, would it be during the interview or before the interview? I'm still not clear on that / if it could delay things). 

- Send in IRS tax return transcripts for 2021 and 2022, and my tax return and amended tax return info for 2020. Then possibly write a note in the back of the i-864 stating the specific situation. 

- Send all years the same - tax return paper work / not IRS transcripts (maybe the consistency of the forms would not raise a red flag that 2020 is technically not complete). 

Sorry that was a long question. Hopefully someone has time to provide feedback. thanks everyone. 

Timeline

Only the 2022 transcript is required.  If you want to also submit 2020 & 2021, then just send what you have for each year (either the transcript or tax return package).

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline
8 hours ago, tw2mn said:

Yet it also says that if you don't use a tax return transcript, that you must provide everything with your taxes, including a W2.

Just submit the items you submitted with your taxes.  There is no requirement to provide a foreign source document when reporting foreign income to the IRS on a 1040.   You can't provide a W-2 that you don't have.

~~ Related unanswered thread removed. Please keep all related questions in one thread ~~

On 5/17/2023 at 4:19 AM, tw2mn said:

On the PDF version, when you mark the box that your mailing address is the same your physical address, it blocks out the spaces for the physical address so you can't type in them. Has anyone else had this issue?

Is it better to just print the i-864 when done then fill in any additional spaces like this? I don't know if that would be ok to both type and write on the same form. I don't really want to write out the whole form as I feel that a typed version is more clear. 

Also on this note, do you need to print out the form anyways, then scan and upload the i-864? I'm assuming so since a signature is required.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

****** four similar threads merged.  Please keep similar/ related topics together so all the information is present for others to help, and so as not to clutter the forums *****

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Timeline
16 hours ago, Crazy Cat said:

Only the 2022 transcript is required

I considered only sending in 2022. Most simple solution really. I'm assuming that leads most people to get an RFE though. In that case, the case would be delayed right? Or do they just ask the applicant to bring in that type of info to the interview? 

Thanks so much for the reply. 

Timeline
10 hours ago, powerpuff said:
10 hours ago, powerpuff said:

~~ Related unanswered thread removed. Please keep all related questions in one thread ~~

On 5/17/2023 at 4:19 PM, tw2mn said:

On the PDF version, when you mark the box that your mailing address is the same your physical address, it blocks out the spaces for the physical address so you can't type in them. Has anyone else had this issue?

Is it better to just print the i-864 when done then fill in any additional spaces like this? I don't know if that would be ok to both type and write on the same form. I don't really want to write out the whole form as I feel that a typed version is more clear. 

Also on this note, do you need to print out the form anyways, then scan and upload the i-864? I'm assuming so since a signature is required.

I'm actually not clear on how this question related to the W2 question. I know that was a pretty particular / likely insignificant question but I tend to over think some of this stuff on the forms and want to make sure I get it right. 

Timeline
10 hours ago, Penguin_ie said:

****** four similar threads merged.  Please keep similar/ related topics together so all the information is present for others to help, and so as not to clutter the forums *****

got it, sorry to bog down the forums.

Timeline
8 hours ago, tw2mn said:

I considered only sending in 2022. Most simple solution really. I'm assuming that leads most people to get an RFE though. In that case, the case would be delayed right? Or do they just ask the applicant to bring in that type of info to the interview? 

Thanks so much for the reply. 

No.  People who submit only most recent year don't usually get RFEs.  I don't know why submitting just 2022 tax documentation would delay your case.  You still must enter the income information from all 3 years on the I-864. 

Timeline
1 hour ago, Crazy Cat said:

No.  People who submit only most recent year don't usually get RFEs.  I don't know why submitting just 2022 tax documentation would delay your case.  You still must enter the income information from all 3 years on the I-864. 

Alright sounds good. I'll probably just do the 1 year then as to not complicate things. Thanks for the feedback!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.