Zen77

Chances of getting a k1 fiance visa after only one meeting in person

70 posts in this topic

Me and my fiancé are in the process of applying for a k1 visa after meeting only once in person for a few days on vacation in a different country (not any of our home countries)

that was 6 months ago

now we're hearing a few opinions here and there that says it might not be enough and we should meet more times

especially dealing with the US embassy Tunis

even professional ones saying they could be "scrutinizing" with our case

Even though the age gap is only 3 years and the relationship has been going for almost 4 years and the only reason we didn't see each other earlier was obviously COVID

Do we really have to worry that it would come in the way of getting the visa? Or is it enough to meet one time, we don't wanna waste more time planning more trips and going back and forth we both already decided we should get together.

Thank you. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
19 minutes ago, Zen77 said:

Do we really have to worry that it would come in the way of getting the visa?

Yes you should worry.

Why aren’t you continuing to meet?

27 minutes ago, Zen77 said:

Me and my fiancé are in the process of applying for a k1 visa after meeting only once in person for a few days on vacation in a different country (not any of our home countries)

that was 6 months ago

now we're hearing a few opinions here and there that says it might not be enough and we should meet more times

Even though the age gap is only 3 years and the relationship has been going for almost 4 years and the only reason we didn't see each other earlier was obviously COVID

Do we really have to worry that it would come in the way of getting the visa? Or is it enough to meet one time, we don't wanna waste more time planning more trips and going back and forth we both already decided we should get together.

Thank you. 

I would definitely meet again… maybe a few more times.

40 minutes ago, Zen77 said:

that was 6 months ago

Thank you. 

The processing time for K1 visa is over 1 year. 
You have time to meet again before the interview. And you should want to meet again before interview. 
Don’t just think of approval chances. Think about what is best for your relationship. 
ETA I would also meet at least once more before you file. 
And several more times while you wait for interview. 

Edited by ROK2USA

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
36 minutes ago, Zen77 said:

that was 6 months ago

Thank you. 

Spending more time together before applying is beneficial for multiple reasons.  This is especially important if there is a significant age difference, different religion, etc.  Best practice is to meet multiple times.  

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

You will need to front load your application for Tunis.

That is, even though the I-129F does not require relationship evidence other than meeting at least once in 2 years, the evidence from it is what the CO may use to pre-judge your fiance's application.

Also, they may disregard any additional evidence your fiance has collected between the I-129F filing and the interview.

While spending more time together before submitting your petition, you may want to marry and file for a spouse visa instead.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Bahamas
Timeline

My fiance and I only met once before filing for our K1 visa and it was no problem for us. We also spent the equivalent of 8 more weeks together after that and before the interview. A lot of things seem to depend on the specific embassy, though.

Timeline
1 minute ago, Crazy Cat said:

Different situation, different consulates....very important.

It's interesting me how it can be so different depending on the place.

Timeline
7 minutes ago, powerpuff said:

This is key and that’s something OP doesn’t want to do because they “don’t want to waste time planning trips” which frankly is a bizarre statement to me considering K1 process takes 18-24 months these days and also that excuse doesn’t fly with US immigration. 

True, that part is odd. We would get frustrated after being apart for a few months. Hell, we were going to meet again before the interview because we didn't know when it was going to be, but then it got scheduled, luckily.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
24 minutes ago, DarkBlood999 said:

My fiance and I only met once before filing for our K1 visa and it was no problem for us.

so you once before I-129F was approved. Not unusual.

24 minutes ago, DarkBlood999 said:

We also spent the equivalent of 8 more weeks together after that and before the interview. A lot of things seem to depend on the specific embassy, though.

Hence your K-1 was approved. After meeting multiple times. I do not see how your experience rebuts my advice.

Timeline
Just now, Mike E said:

so you once before I-129F was approved. Not unusual.

Hence your K-1 was approved. After meeting multiple times. I do not see how your experience rebuts my advice.

I wasn't trying to do that. I was simply posting what I did.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

No one here would say realionship is not real or that the embassy would or would not approve it (not for certain) but we look at what happens with high fraud countries like yours and mine

USCIS acutallly puts out stats on this and from the site

# 5 reason for denial

5.  a short courting period before the filing of the K-1 petition (e.g., mail order brides, spur-of-the-moment proposals after a first visit)

https://visarefusal.com/inadmissibility/k-1-visa-

refusals/#:~:text=According%20to%20those%20statistics%2C%20approximately,initial%20denial%2C%20some%20do%20not.

Love does not conquer all. As further proof: the Department of State refusal statistics for fiancées/fiancés. According to those statistics, approximately 20,000 K-1 fiancées/fiancés every year are denied visas when they go to their interviews at the embassy. This is nearly 40% of the total number of K-1 visa applicants. And while eventually many of them are able to overcome the initial denial, some do not.

and talking online,  texting, phone calls are small part of courting but if it was the biggest part , then i am courting over 200 on Facebook ,  what's app,  etc

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.