Luis M

Birth Certificate EB cat

11 posts in this topic

Does anyone know if birth certificates from Venezuela expire for the consular process through NVC?

I have a birth certificate that is several years old and getting an updated could prove difficult.

Thanks

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I assume Venezuela does things differently as usual birth certificates are for life

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

18 minutes ago, Boiler said:

I assume Venezuela does things differently as usual birth certificates are for life

Many countries around the world have changed formats and paper throughout the years. It is possible that a specific embassy/ consulate requires the "newest" format rather than a really old one. 

It is likely that the OP mistakenly used the term "expired".

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Formats do change there were no Computers when I was born now my original is still valid so the questions is what does the US recognise.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

3 minutes ago, Boiler said:

Formats do change there were no Computers when I was born now my original is still valid so the questions is what does the US recognise.

Exactly this!, haven't been able to find is the US accepts older birth certificates or if there is a minimum issue date for such document.

Mine is no longer valid, and I couldn't have used it for immigration purposes - I think they created the office issuing official documents in 1994 😕

Just a nice souvenir to keep.

Just check the reciprocity schedule for your country:

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/Visa-Reciprocity-and-Civil-Documents-by-Country.html

Edited by Lemonslice

10 hours ago, Lemonslice said:

Mine is no longer valid, and I couldn't have used it for immigration purposes - I think they created the office issuing official documents in 1994 😕

Just a nice souvenir to keep.

Just check the reciprocity schedule for your country:

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/Visa-Reciprocity-and-Civil-Documents-by-Country.html

Thanks, I did as you suggested, unfortunately the reciprocity schedule does not make any mention of time validity of documents and on top of that Venezuela has no US embassy due to diplomatic issues  more than 5 years ago.

I guess I'll need to see how to get a new one without having to travel into the country.

Edited by Luis M
Mispelling

3 hours ago, Luis M said:

Thanks, I did as you suggested, unfortunately the reciprocity schedule does not make any mention of time validity of documents and on top of that Venezuela has no US embassy due to diplomatic issues  more than 5 years ago.

I guess I'll need to see how to get a new one without having to travel into the country.

If there's no date stated, then any date is good, as long as it's been issued by the right office/authority (as listed in the reciprocity schedule). 

55 minutes ago, Lemonslice said:

If there's no date stated, then any date is good, as long as it's been issued by the right office/authority (as listed in the reciprocity schedule). 

I submit with what I have and try to work out how to get a new one in the meantime.

Thanks 👍🏻 

*** Removed duplicate (split) thread in a different sub-forum ***

On 4/1/2023 at 3:02 PM, Luis M said:

Does anyone know if birth certificates from Venezuela expire for the consular process through NVC?

For US immigration purposes, birth certificates do not expire, as long as they are from the correct issuing authority listed on the DOS Reciprocity page for the birth country.

From the DOS manual -- https://fam.state.gov/fam/09FAM/09FAM050404.html

9 FAM 504.4-4(A)  (U) Basic Document Requirements

[...]

c.  (U) Validity of Application and Supporting Documents:

[...]

(3)  (U) Supporting Documents:  Typically, civil documents such as birth, marriage, death, and divorce certificates are not subject to change and do not expire.

5 hours ago, Chancy said:

*** Removed duplicate (split) thread in a different sub-forum ***

For US immigration purposes, birth certificates do not expire, as long as they are from the correct issuing authority listed on the DOS Reciprocity page for the birth country.

From the DOS manual -- https://fam.state.gov/fam/09FAM/09FAM050404.html

9 FAM 504.4-4(A)  (U) Basic Document Requirements

[...]

c.  (U) Validity of Application and Supporting Documents:

[...]

(3)  (U) Supporting Documents:  Typically, civil documents such as birth, marriage, death, and divorce certificates are not subject to change and do not expire.

Thanks @Chancy, this is very helpful, I was not able to find this info anywhere.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.