snm2212

Only EB1/EB2 update on NVC (DQ, IL)

873 posts in this topic

On 10/6/2024 at 5:47 AM, DDON said:

I am moving without a job in hand, but I have only recently completed an expatriate assignment and therefore moving with plenty savings that’ll last for 1-2 years! As @appleblossom keep recommending, it’s very important to move with plenty savings, I’m recommending moving with at least a year’s salary ‘due to expensive accommodation, private medical, car, etc. Cost of living is quite scary right now.

Adding US number and address and adding your permanent resident status does not really make a difference since they can tell you’re outside the US from your computer’s IP address, and even applications via LinkedIn the recruiters and hiring managers can tell you’re applying from outside the US.

Best thing is to contact your network in the US in addition to submitting your applications. My previous employer has the HQ in the US so we are discussing open positions in the US office. 

It’s not easy securing a job offer whilst you’re still outside the US, most recruiters and hiring managers want you to be in the US with your perm resid status before they can offer you anything. May be they are also trying to avoid responsibility for your relocation, not sure, it almost looks as if they don’t believe you are a perm resident, lol.

Finally, keep all hope alive, network, network, keep applying, and may be after the elections, things will get better. Also, location in the US matters a lot. Where do you plan to live in the US? If you’re into tech, software, AI etc (San Francisco), if you’re into oil and gas, energy then Texas, Colorado, Delaware, North Dakota, New Mexico, Oklahoma. If you’re into Pharma then go to states that are pharma hub like Boston, New Jersey etc. if you’re into Agriculture etc, go to Bakersfield in California. Location matters a lot. Be flexible, don’t try to force yourself to live in a particular location. Go to where you’ll have loads of opportunities and where your area of expertise is highly sought after. Best wishes!

100 percent! But I want to add that - you can change your LinkedIn location to the US state you want to move to and indicate that you are open to work, also use a US address and cell number on your resume. This is what I did even before I was DQ'd and had multiple interviews even before I arrived the US. The job market is not the best, but there are lots of incredible opportunities and these days everyone interviews online and will only ask you to come in-person at the very final stage - if needed. Goodluck!

17 hours ago, dabursot2 said:

Hi all,

After a month in AP my visa has been issued.

I just want to say this forum is amazingly useful to follow up the entire visa process, I am sure we can all agree that it can be brutally excrutiating.

Thanks all for the advice, wise words, tips, and best of luck on this process.

Congrats!!!

Was the one month in AP because of the quota being exhausted(ie waiting for new FY)? Or were you from a country that usually does more background check?

35 minutes ago, Jumboeggs said:

Congrats!!!

Was the one month in AP because of the quota being exhausted(ie waiting for new FY)? Or were you from a country that usually does more background check?

Thanks,

My interview was on the 04-Sept, and was put in AP, I think someone in the consulate put it in the backburner because of the visa quota being out for the FY and they only picked it up after I sent an email on the 09-Oct asking about the status of my application since I sent everything they needed.

After that email it was issued in 2 days.

Good luck to all.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.