snm2212

Only EB1/EB2 update on NVC (DQ, IL)

850 posts in this topic

13 hours ago, NiJOS7 said:

Hello everyone just curious question, how you guys are moving, I mean with or without job? Is there any suggestions if you moved or movingwith job in hand.  I am trying since 1 month by adding US number and address but no response.  Even I am adding that I am permanent residence and does not require sponsorship.  No success. Please give your thoughts.  

I am moving without a job in hand, but I have only recently completed an expatriate assignment and therefore moving with plenty savings that’ll last for 1-2 years! As @appleblossom keep recommending, it’s very important to move with plenty savings, I’m recommending moving with at least a year’s salary ‘due to expensive accommodation, private medical, car, etc. Cost of living is quite scary right now.

Adding US number and address and adding your permanent resident status does not really make a difference since they can tell you’re outside the US from your computer’s IP address, and even applications via LinkedIn the recruiters and hiring managers can tell you’re applying from outside the US.

Best thing is to contact your network in the US in addition to submitting your applications. My previous employer has the HQ in the US so we are discussing open positions in the US office. 

It’s not easy securing a job offer whilst you’re still outside the US, most recruiters and hiring managers want you to be in the US with your perm resid status before they can offer you anything. May be they are also trying to avoid responsibility for your relocation, not sure, it almost looks as if they don’t believe you are a perm resident, lol.

Finally, keep all hope alive, network, network, keep applying, and may be after the elections, things will get better. Also, location in the US matters a lot. Where do you plan to live in the US? If you’re into tech, software, AI etc (San Francisco), if you’re into oil and gas, energy then Texas, Colorado, Delaware, North Dakota, New Mexico, Oklahoma. If you’re into Pharma then go to states that are pharma hub like Boston, New Jersey etc. if you’re into Agriculture etc, go to Bakersfield in California. Location matters a lot. Be flexible, don’t try to force yourself to live in a particular location. Go to where you’ll have loads of opportunities and where your area of expertise is highly sought after. Best wishes!

8 hours ago, Jumboeggs said:

What did they ask you about during the interview?(ie non document-wise)

I was asked the following 5 questions by a really nice lady:

- Tell me about your educational qualifications for this visa category, and your area of expertise.

- Do you plan to continue work in your area of expertise in the US?

- Is this your first marriage?

- Are these 2 boys your only kids?

- Apart from the U.K. and ‘xx’ where else have you lived?

I have compiled below questions based on other people’s experiences:

- What are your plans after you land in the US?

- Do you have a job offer in the US?

- What do you do for a job?

- Will you continue on the same field once you move to the US?

- Why do you have the skills for this visa?

- Where did you get your Ph.D.? What year did you get your Ph.D? What was your Ph.D thesis?

- Where do you plan to stay in the US?

- Do you plan to work in the academia or industry in the US?

- How will you support yourself when you enter the US?

- What is your extraordinary ability ?

- How long have you been in your profession?

- Tell me about yourself

Filed: EB-1 Visa Country: Luxembourg
Timeline
On 10/5/2024 at 10:18 PM, appleblossom said:

I moved with a job (transfer with current employer) and full expat package. But most US employers won't consider you without you being in the country, even if you do have PR. What do you do and whereabouts are you moving to?

A lot of people have put job hiring on hold until the election, so it may improve after that. 

It's surprised me how expensive life in the US is, so even if you do find a job, bring a lot more savings than you think you'll need!

Good luck. 

Thanks for your response. At present i am Sr. Scientist and my area of expertise is in semiconductors and sensors. I have more than 10 years of experience academic mainly and i am moving to Wisconsin becuase my brother-in-law stays there. So staying for 6 months is not a problem but it looks to get a job is difficult. Anyway my application is going on. 

Timeline
On 10/6/2024 at 6:47 AM, DDON said:

I am moving without a job in hand, but I have only recently completed an expatriate assignment and therefore moving with plenty savings that’ll last for 1-2 years! As @appleblossom keep recommending, it’s very important to move with plenty savings, I’m recommending moving with at least a year’s salary ‘due to expensive accommodation, private medical, car, etc. Cost of living is quite scary right now.

Adding US number and address and adding your permanent resident status does not really make a difference since they can tell you’re outside the US from your computer’s IP address, and even applications via LinkedIn the recruiters and hiring managers can tell you’re applying from outside the US.

Best thing is to contact your network in the US in addition to submitting your applications. My previous employer has the HQ in the US so we are discussing open positions in the US office. 

It’s not easy securing a job offer whilst you’re still outside the US, most recruiters and hiring managers want you to be in the US with your perm resid status before they can offer you anything. May be they are also trying to avoid responsibility for your relocation, not sure, it almost looks as if they don’t believe you are a perm resident, lol.

Finally, keep all hope alive, network, network, keep applying, and may be after the elections, things will get better. Also, location in the US matters a lot. Where do you plan to live in the US? If you’re into tech, software, AI etc (San Francisco), if you’re into oil and gas, energy then Texas, Colorado, Delaware, North Dakota, New Mexico, Oklahoma. If you’re into Pharma then go to states that are pharma hub like Boston, New Jersey etc. if you’re into Agriculture etc, go to Bakersfield in California. Location matters a lot. Be flexible, don’t try to force yourself to live in a particular location. Go to where you’ll have loads of opportunities and where your area of expertise is highly sought after. Best wishes!

Thank you for the detailed info. Appreciate it. Yes, I am aware about the zone for semiconductor industries in which i have expertise. Mainly Texas and California but i am trying everywhere even small companies. My initial location would be Wisconsin where my brother-in-law is living. Once i get the job will move. My wife is getting lot of calls and her interviews are going on. 

@NiJOS7  I will give you a job hunting tip which will easily land you a job in the US even before your move.

use Google queries. You can be extremely specific to filter through all the noise and doing so ensures a couple of things:

• the job is posted on the company careers site
  • the job is still active

This way you can find thousand of roles on the company's website which must be related to your job title. Lets say you are looking for a Product Manager role which can be remote associate to senior-level roles. In my experience, these roles are commonly posted as Product Manager or Product Owner.

Just goto google.com and type the following:

site:myworkdayjobs.com | site:jobs.lever.co | site:boards.greenhouse.io | site:icims.com (associate product OR product OR senior product) AND (manager OR owner) AND remote

This query will return the following remote roles at any company that uses these hiring platforms:

• Associate Product Manager
  • Associate Product Owner
  • Product Manager
  • Product Owner
  • Senior Product Manager
  • Senior Product Owner

Not alot of people know this and not alot of people may have applied for these roles so you will have greater chance to lock an interview and get hired. If you have any questions related to running these queries, DM me, thanks

Edited by pebb1ee

Timeline
48 minutes ago, pebb1ee said:

@NiJOS7  I will give you a job hunting tip which will easily land you a job in the US even before your move.

use Google queries. You can be extremely specific to filter through all the noise and doing so ensures a couple of things:

• the job is posted on the company careers site
  • the job is still active

This way you can find thousand of roles on the company's website which must be related to your job title. Lets say you are looking for a Product Manager role which can be remote associate to senior-level roles. In my experience, these roles are commonly posted as Product Manager or Product Owner.

Just goto google.com and type the following:

This query will return the following remote roles at any company that uses these hiring platforms:

• Associate Product Manager
  • Associate Product Owner
  • Product Manager
  • Product Owner
  • Senior Product Manager
  • Senior Product Owner

Not alot of people know this and not alot of people may have applied for these roles so you will have greater chance to lock an interview and get hired. If you have any questions related to running these queries, DM me, thanks

Superb. Send you PM

Thanks to @pebb1ee @NiJOS7@appleblossom @DDON for the discussion on the job market.

I have tried to apply in my field(research in public health). However, it seems that at present, I am a visa requiring candidate(as I just got my i140 approved for EB1a), and the process is more limited (plus any visa sponsorship fees would probably come from their grant money, which they don't want). I do have a verbal offer(via WhatsApp, he just mentioned, "Come work for me," to which I replied, "Unfortunately, I am still waiting for my green card to be processed"). Does that even count when asked during the consular processing? The PI of that team is not willing to put the offer on paper(I understand that).

Edited by Jumboeggs

6 hours ago, Jumboeggs said:

Thanks to @pebb1ee @NiJOS7@appleblossom @DDON for the discussion on the job market.

I have tried to apply in my field(research in public health). However, it seems that at present, I am a visa requiring candidate(as I just got my i140 approved for EB1a), and the process is more limited (plus any visa sponsorship fees would probably come from their grant money, which they don't want). I do have a verbal offer(via WhatsApp, he just mentioned, "Come work for me," to which I replied, "Unfortunately, I am still waiting for my green card to be processed"). Does that even count when asked during the consular processing? The PI of that team is not willing to put the offer on paper(I understand that).

@Jumboeggs you do not need to have a job offer before your interview for IV for your approved i140, please don’t worry too much about it. If asked during your interview, you could just tell the CO you’ll start applying for jobs and also network once you receive your visa and arrive in the US. At my interview appointment, the gentleman that checked my original docs before my actual interview, asked me if I am employed and I replied him “not at the moment”, and he said “no problems”. The CO who interviewed me didn’t even ask me if I have a job offer, so pls don’t stress yourself too much.

Try to relax and focus on your consular processing stage now that your i140 has been approved for EB-1A. I believe you’ll be ok, it’s natural to be anxious about all these things, but in the end you’ll be ok.

9 minutes ago, DDON said:

@Jumboeggs you do not need to have a job offer before your interview for IV for your approved i140, please don’t worry too much about it. If asked during your interview, you could just tell the CO you’ll start applying for jobs and also network once you receive your visa and arrive in the US. At my interview appointment, the gentleman that checked my original docs before my actual interview, asked me if I am employed and I replied him “not at the moment”, and he said “no problems”. The CO who interviewed me didn’t even ask me if I have a job offer, so pls don’t stress yourself too much.

Try to relax and focus on your consular processing stage now that your i140 has been approved for EB-1A. I believe you’ll be ok, it’s natural to be anxious about all these things, but in the end you’ll be ok.

@Jumboeggs i had my interview a couple of weeks ago. They didn't even ask about my job. I think it's common to not have a job and my lawyer told me before it definitely wouldn't be a problem if they asked and I say I'm job hunting

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.