16 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hello,

I have searched for related questions and was unable to find anything.

The I-134 I am using shows an expiration date of 7/31/2023 which I downloaded from USCIS site last night.

I will be using this form for the pending K-1 interview in the upcoming months

Two questions:

1) The form auto updates the name placed in Part 2 #1 with the name in Part 3 #1. My understanding is that the Beneficiary is listed in Part 2 #1, where I list my name as the USC Petitioner in Part 3 #1. However the form automation does not allow the two areas to have unique names. Is anyone else seeing this? Any work around?

image.png.0eb5e8b93a81904360c101cf2dc29f7d.png

image.png.ce52da620dfc617f536462a0c83fca0b.png

2) Part 2 #12: I have heard two schools of thought. One is to leave the "From" blank and select "No End Date", the other is to estimate the "From" date and include the estimated date.

Any input/thoughts from those successful using this new version of the form (Embassy is Manila, Philippines)

image.png.e60ac62ace5a7b4d9db78ba322441840.png

Thank you all for your time and help.

-Kurt

Timeline
1 hour ago, Misscloud said:

1. do u use acrobat PDF ? or other ?

2. no end date since its K1 she will wait in US doing AOS in the future

PDF form

what about the “From” date?

thanks!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline
5 hours ago, Kurt and Kristina said:

in the upcoming months

More like a year or two probably.

FROM F1 TO AOS

October 17, 2019 AOS receipt date 

December 09, 2019: Biometric appointment

January 15, 2020 RFE received

January 30, 2020  RFE response sent

Feb 7: EAD approved and interview scheduled

March 18, 2020 Interview cancelled

April 14th 2020: RFE received

April 29, 2020 Approved without interview

May 1, 2020 Card in hand

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

February 1, 2022 package sent

March 28, 2022 Fingerprints reused

July 18, 2023 approval

July 20, 2023 Card in hand

N400 

January 30,2023: Online filing

February 4th, 2023: Biometric appointment

June 15th, 2023: Case actively being reviewed

July 11th, 2023: Interview scheduled.

August 30th, 2023: Interview!

August 31st, 2023: Oath ceremony scheduled.

Sept 19th, 2023: Officially a US citizen!

Timeline
34 minutes ago, Rocio0010 said:

More like a year or two probably.

And why would you say that?

Also, I appreciate the input regarding the I-134. Thank you.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline
1 hour ago, Kurt and Kristina said:

And why would you say that?

Also, I appreciate the input regarding the I-134. Thank you.

I say that because k1s are taking on average a year. 
You might want to consider getting married and filing for a CR1 instead. So many advantages. 
For example, a K1 is more expensive because your (then) wife will have to file for adjustment of status. Currently the fees are $1,225 but they are increasing them soon. Surely before your fiancée adjusts her status. all that to become a permanent resident, which she would be right after landing if you guys filed for a Cr1. 
Also, with a k1 your fiancée won’t be able to work or travel internationally for 8-9 months. 

About your questions, I would hand write the form. After all, if I’m not mistaken, you will mail that in, correct? 

And the dates, you can certainly write N/A

FROM F1 TO AOS

October 17, 2019 AOS receipt date 

December 09, 2019: Biometric appointment

January 15, 2020 RFE received

January 30, 2020  RFE response sent

Feb 7: EAD approved and interview scheduled

March 18, 2020 Interview cancelled

April 14th 2020: RFE received

April 29, 2020 Approved without interview

May 1, 2020 Card in hand

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

February 1, 2022 package sent

March 28, 2022 Fingerprints reused

July 18, 2023 approval

July 20, 2023 Card in hand

N400 

January 30,2023: Online filing

February 4th, 2023: Biometric appointment

June 15th, 2023: Case actively being reviewed

July 11th, 2023: Interview scheduled.

August 30th, 2023: Interview!

August 31st, 2023: Oath ceremony scheduled.

Sept 19th, 2023: Officially a US citizen!

Timeline
47 minutes ago, Rocio0010 said:

You might want to consider getting married and filing for a CR1 instead. So many advantages. 
For example, a K1 is more expensive because your (then) wife will have to file for adjustment of status. Currently the fees are $1,225 but they are increasing them soon. Surely before your fiancée adjusts her status. all that to become a permanent resident, which she would be right after landing if you guys filed for a Cr1. 
Also, with a k1 your fiancée won’t be able to work or travel internationally for 8-9 months. 

About your questions, I would hand write the form. After all, if I’m not mistaken, you will mail that in, correct? 

And the dates, you can certainly write N/A

Thank you for the I-134 answer. 
Regarding CR-1 vs K-1, you are correct, but having an I-129f NOA2 date of 3/27/23, it would be foolish to start over ergo months rather than years.

If I would have known then, what I know now….

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
11 hours ago, Rocio0010 said:

OP filed in 2/2022.  Their I-129F was approved Monday.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline
21 hours ago, Kurt and Kristina said:

PDF form

Also a February filer here and got curious about your issues since I will also need to do that in the following months.

Downloaded the same form right now from USCIS, I used Adobe Acrobat PDF (original, valid Adobe Cloud subscription), and the problem persists. The two fields are linked, and shouldn't be since part 3 is basically only if you're not the beneficiary, imo. So at least now you know it's not the software/app you're using, but the form.

Not sure if you can complete everything but the name and then print the form and complete those by hand and then scan it if sending electronically(?). Will wait for more experienced users here to advise on it, I'm not on that stage yet.

February 2022 I-129F K1 Case Status Spreadsheet can be found here.
NVC Timelines spreadsheet can be found here.
NOA1:
Feb 22nd, 2022 | NOA2: May 12th, 2023 (444 days) | NVC Received: July 3rd, 2023 (52 days) | Case number: Aug 2nd, 2023 (82 days) | In Transit: Aug 15th, 2023 (95 days)  | Ready: Aug 17th, 2023 | Medical: Sep 22nd, 2023 | Interview: Sep 26th, 2023

Timeline
32 minutes ago, Bh_sarah said:

Downloaded the same form right now from USCIS, I used Adobe Acrobat PDF (original, valid Adobe Cloud subscription), and the problem persists. The two fields are linked, and shouldn't be since part 3 is basically only if you're not the beneficiary, imo. So at least now you know it's not the software/app you're using, but the form.

First off, I remember you from the Feb filers thread and wanted to thank you for maintaining that while we all waited. Really appreciate that!

I spoke to a lawyer about this and he stated that many of the USCIS forms has issues and recommended just handwriting (in blue ink) the impacted areas. Also, if your income is sufficient to meet the guidelines for support, no need to put in checking and other assets as those assets and associated values need to be proven through appraisals. My approach to all of this is to put together a check list of all actions and forms necessary with dates and use that as my NVC to Embassy to Interview master sheet. I just don't want any delays if possible. It is so sad to know how long this paid for service takes as each receipt number represents two people who just want to start their lives.

I appreciate your reply, thank you.

Timeline
14 minutes ago, Kurt and Kristina said:

First off, I remember you from the Feb filers thread and wanted to thank you for maintaining that while we all waited. Really appreciate that!

I spoke to a lawyer about this and he stated that many of the USCIS forms has issues and recommended just handwriting (in blue ink) the impacted areas. Also, if your income is sufficient to meet the guidelines for support, no need to put in checking and other assets as those assets and associated values need to be proven through appraisals. My approach to all of this is to put together a check list of all actions and forms necessary with dates and use that as my NVC to Embassy to Interview master sheet. I just don't want any delays if possible. It is so sad to know how long this paid for service takes as each receipt number represents two people who just want to start their lives.

I appreciate your reply, thank you.

Oh, no problem at all, I confess I am a little of a control freak and would hate being left in the dark waiting for NOA2 haha I'm glad it helped somehow! Congratulations on your approval!

And awesome advice, I think that would be my first thought too to circumvent this issue, to handwrite the problematic fields. And great tip about the assets, I think they changed the I-134 form last year so there's still a lot of mixed info about it when you search for it. I am also pro-active and I know the NVC wait will be another pain, so a checklist for all you need is a perfect idea. Anything to shorten the wait, it's already dreadful to have our lives on pause. I feel the same way. 

NOA1:
Feb 22nd, 2022 | NOA2: May 12th, 2023 (444 days) | NVC Received: July 3rd, 2023 (52 days) | Case number: Aug 2nd, 2023 (82 days) | In Transit: Aug 15th, 2023 (95 days)  | Ready: Aug 17th, 2023 | Medical: Sep 22nd, 2023 | Interview: Sep 26th, 2023

Timeline
21 minutes ago, Bh_sarah said:

Oh, no problem at all, I confess I am a little of a control freak and would hate being left in the dark waiting for NOA2 haha I'm glad it helped somehow! Congratulations on your approval!

And awesome advice, I think that would be my first thought too to circumvent this issue, to handwrite the problematic fields. And great tip about the assets, I think they changed the I-134 form last year so there's still a lot of mixed info about it when you search for it. I am also pro-active and I know the NVC wait will be another pain, so a checklist for all you need is a perfect idea. Anything to shorten the wait, it's already dreadful to have our lives on pause. I feel the same way. 

I am a control freak as well (with a dash of OCD :D )  Thanks on the NOA2, the hired help (USCIS) seem to be processing a lot as of late, so it is my sincere hope you have yours soon. While I know we have different embassy's, if there is anything I can help with, or you want to talk through something, let me know.

Thanks again!

-Kurt

Timeline
1 hour ago, Kurt and Kristina said:

I am a control freak as well (with a dash of OCD :D )  Thanks on the NOA2, the hired help (USCIS) seem to be processing a lot as of late, so it is my sincere hope you have yours soon. While I know we have different embassy's, if there is anything I can help with, or you want to talk through something, let me know.

Thanks again!

-Kurt

Haha, yep, the whole thing about not knowing when makes me crazy though, but the time will come. Appreciate your kind words!! Hope it all goes smoothly now with NVC and the embassy!

NOA1:

Timeline

First & foremost, I believe the form you are using has now been superseded. As noted here:

Declaration of Financial Support | USCIS

01/04/23. Starting March 6, 2023, we will only accept the 01/04/23 edition. Until then, you can also use the 10/18/22 edition. You can find the edition date at the bottom of the page on the form and instructions.

I filled out the version you did & have to re-fill it out once I found out that the form was updated. As far as the issue with the linked fields, the way I worked around it was to simply fill out the form completely. As noted, the beneficiary's name will populate into the linked fields on the petitioner's page (page 4). After I filled out the form, I simply printed out the entire form except for the page with the linked field (page 4). Then I went back into the form & entered my name (petitioner) into the field for the beneficiary on page 1 & printed off only page 4. I then placed page 4 into the rest of the form & signed it. In my case I also scanned it as I needed to send it to my fiancé in the Philippines so that she could print it & add it to our case folder for our future interview.

One other thing of note...if you read through the instructions on how to fill out the I-134 form, at the bottom of page 2 it clearly states:

How To Fill Out Form I-134

1. Type or print legibly in black ink.

I'm sure the lawyer you met with meant well...and while it makes sense to use an ink that will stand out against the black text used on the form...I don't think I would risk using blue ink when the instructions clearly tell you not to.

<><   <><   <><   <><   <><    <><   <><   <><   <><   <><   <><  <><   <><   <><   <><   <><    <><   <><   <><   <><   <><   <><  <><   <><   <><   <><   <><
Kawika & Michelle

Together since June 10th, 2020.

Cebu, Philippines to Katy, TX.

Facebook group for Filipinas & their partners who are living in or will be moving to Texas...

www.facebook.com/groups/texasfilipinacouples/

Timeline
19 minutes ago, Kawika said:

First & foremost, I believe the form you are using has now been superseded. As noted here:

Declaration of Financial Support | USCIS

I filled out the version you did & have to re-fill it out once I found out that the form was updated. As far as the issue with the linked fields, the way I worked around it was to simply fill out the form completely. As noted, the beneficiary's name will populate into the linked fields on the petitioner's page (page 4). After I filled out the form, I simply printed out the entire form except for the page with the linked field (page 4). Then I went back into the form & entered my name (petitioner) into the field for the beneficiary on page 1 & printed off only page 4. I then placed page 4 into the rest of the form & signed it. In my case I also scanned it as I needed to send it to my fiancé in the Philippines so that she could print it & add it to our case folder for our future interview.

One other thing of note...if you read through the instructions on how to fill out the I-134 form, at the bottom of page 2 it clearly states:

I'm sure the lawyer you met with meant well...and while it makes sense to use an ink that will stand out against the black text used on the form...I don't think I would risk using blue ink when the instructions clearly tell you not to.

THANK YOU!  Your fix is brilliant!  As for the black ink, I missed that, but now not necessary with your fix... and now that you say it, I think the lawyer said to sign it in blue ink.. :)

My main concern with this form is the expiration date (7/31/23). I could see me filling it out and being ready and the next version asks for other/more data...

Great info.. hope this helps others!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.