MiloPinkman

Do I need to file taxes for 2022? Very confused

6 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I am Canadian. become US resident from Sep 2022 (CR1) and haven't worked on US soil in 2022.

I called my accountant and she said I dont need to because I had not worked in states yet and been here less than 6 months. So she is suggesting file separately and let me file mine in Canada for 2022. And from 2023, I can file for full year.

I thought I still have to file $0 in US by law. But the accountant seemed confident that I don't need to. So just here for second opinion.

Thanks,

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
7 minutes ago, MiloPinkman said:

am Canadian. become US resident from Sep 2022 (CR1) and haven't worked on US soil in 2022.

LPRs should always file IRS tax returns.

I do not see why you need an accontant.

Edited by Mike E

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

spouse files as MFJ in US making that a $25,900 instead of $12, 950  deduction on the income

and i would guess u have SS # by now and can put it on return

so spouse uses form 2555 to exclude foreign monies earned as Canada has tax treaty with US

On your canadian income,  pay the taxes to Canada

Edited by JeanneAdil

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
13 minutes ago, MiloPinkman said:

Can you please suggest how to do it?

Turbotax, freetaxusa, taxact,…

If the concern is declaring your Canadian income, declare it, and then claim the foreign income tax credit. Presumably you got a T-4 from your Canadian employer, and paid Canadian taxes in 2022 on your earned income.

The result is that you will pay the higher of the two tax rates on your Canadian income: CRA vs IRS. Surely CRA is higher.

Even if not, a joint tax return with your spouse will reduce the overall tax burden on your family and more than make up for it. 

This way your naturalization process is smoother and you won’t be among the thousands posting 3-5  years from now: “N-400 asked me if I have ever failed to file a tax return; what do I do?”

If at any time in 2022 you had foreign bank or brokerage holdings exceeding $10,000 USD, you must also file FBAR

Edited by Mike E

On 3/12/2023 at 11:35 PM, MiloPinkman said:

I am Canadian. become US resident from Sep 2022 (CR1) and haven't worked on US soil in 2022.

I called my accountant and she said I dont need to because I had not worked in states yet and been here less than 6 months. So she is suggesting file separately and let me file mine in Canada for 2022. And from 2023, I can file for full year.

I thought I still have to file $0 in US by law. But the accountant seemed confident that I don't need to. So just here for second opinion.

Thanks,

You need a different accountant as you are a resident for tax purposes and rarely is filing separately advantageous 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.