josh tree

n-400 early file & state residency

20 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Hey, N400 filing guideline states you need to wait 3 months after moving to another state, but you want to file 2 months early just because. 

Have fun arguing interpretation of CFR title 8 and taking USCIS to court.  You do you.  Respect.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

Maybe you have the extra $700 and want to give it a try, then by all means. They’d be happy to take your money. 
The reason why you may not be getting any testimonies here is because most of the posters here in VJ -and especially in the N400 sub forum - have dealt with USCIS long enough to know that they make mistakes or they interpret their own rules however they want to, and you’re not going to win. I am not a kamikaze so I’d wait. But you do you.

FROM F1 TO AOS

October 17, 2019 AOS receipt date 

December 09, 2019: Biometric appointment

January 15, 2020 RFE received

January 30, 2020  RFE response sent

Feb 7: EAD approved and interview scheduled

March 18, 2020 Interview cancelled

April 14th 2020: RFE received

April 29, 2020 Approved without interview

May 1, 2020 Card in hand

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

February 1, 2022 package sent

March 28, 2022 Fingerprints reused

July 18, 2023 approval

July 20, 2023 Card in hand

N400 

January 30,2023: Online filing

February 4th, 2023: Biometric appointment

June 15th, 2023: Case actively being reviewed

July 11th, 2023: Interview scheduled.

August 30th, 2023: Interview!

August 31st, 2023: Oath ceremony scheduled.

Sept 19th, 2023: Officially a US citizen!

7 hours ago, Mike E said:

Because you moved between states in the last 3 months, you aren't eligible to file N-400. When you have 3 months of residency in WA you will be eligible.

https://www.uscis.gov/citizenship-resource-center/learn-about-citizenship/naturalization-eligibility

Exactly this! I’d wait as the residency rule is clear and wouldn’t prepare to argue out interpretations. I’ve been a US citizen 2 months now and honestly doesn’t feel any different and I forget most times I’m a citizen too LOL- it’s no revelation I promise! I feel blessed yes of course but if I was in your case I’d wait it out for 2 months vs. potentially wasting money in risking a denial due to residency. Honestly I still feel like a LPR even though I’m a US citizen now lol. Please act smart as I’d hate you to get denied and lose your hard earned money. Good luck too on the final end of your journey!!!! 🙌

Edited by Vegas i-751

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

5 years minus 3 months or 5 years...at this point, why does waiting the extra time to remove any doubt make that much of a difference?  It's splitting hairs, honestly.  As was noted previously, you don't want ambiguity to give USCIS the upper hand.  

Personally, I'd wait.  It's not worth the $700 and the time to be told "sorry, you applied too early".  

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 Visa spreadsheet: follow directions at top of page for data to be added

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

You never know how fast they could process it. A K1 couple I Married, the one is a government employee and currently works in Canada. Because of this they didn't have to wait the 3 years to file for citizenship, They are in Calgary, so their closest local office was Montana. They got the interview notice 3 weeks after filing online, and had the 1st interview only 7 weeks after filing. They too were under the impression they had at least 3-4 months minimum to study before the interview. Well, with only about 3 weeks to study, she didn't pass the first interview, got tripped up on the N400 questions, and now they have their second interview March 30. I'm sure they will pass this time around, but they filed in January of this year, had first interview the end of February, and now the second the end of March. So they will have had not 1, but 2 interviews in under 3 months. Too bad you didn't move to Montana, they have nothing to do there it appears, and you get interviews within 8 weeks of filing there.

To add, my wifes N400 interview is next Thursday the 16th here in Las Vegas,NV. We only waited 3 months for the interview notice because we filed N400 in November, had notice in February for the March Interview date, so even in Vegas they are processing N400's really quick.

Edited by Loren Y

Here on a K1? Need married and a Certificate in hand within a few hours? I'm here to help. Come to Vegas and I'll marry you Vegas style!!   Visa Journey members are always FREE for my services. I know the costs involved in this whole game of immigration, and if I can save you some money I will!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.