ElGrandeDoodel

IR-1/CR-1 issued and in my passport, can I enter the US under an ESTA?

4 posts in this topic

Hi VJ folks, would appreciate your thoughts on the following.

• I've had my IR-1/CR-1 (London consulate) interview scheduled for 20 April with medical in early April.
  • All being well I should have a visa issued and in my passport at some point in May.
  • Our second wedding anniversary is in early September.
  • My plan is to enter the US and endorse the visa mid September, after our second wedding anniversary, so I get the IR-1 with 10 year green card.

If possible, I'd like to go to the US in May/June once my visa has been issued but enter the US under my ESTA without endorsing the visa.

Is that possible? Is there a risk CBP will refuse entry, or refuse entry under the ESTA and instead force me to enter under the visa?

Thanks!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Once you have your CR1/IR1 visa, your first entry to the US will be on that visa.

If for some reason CBP do not notice that you have a CR1 and you do get entry on ESTA, I do not know how that will be handled.  Your CR1 may be voided.  

This is an unusual issue and I defer to others' with more knowledge.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Not possible.  Once a visa is issued, that visa must be used to enter the USA.  Even if you had a visitor visa, they would cancel that visa before issuing the CR-1 visa.  You could reschedule your interview for a date after your anniversary.  Seems best outcome would be for your spouse to come to your country for your anniversary.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.