W1ndy

CFO procedure and requirements - general question

12 posts in this topic

Filed: F-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi all,

I am 22, and the beneficiary is 23 from The Philippines. We haven't done the I-129F yet, but I know that CFO is something that beneficiaries from The Philippines have to deal with when getting a K-1 Visa. However, I cannot find a concrete explanation of the expectations and requirements from the CFO, especially for people below 25 y/o. Can anyone that has gone through this process explain what is required, and what are reasons for application denial?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

***Thread moved to the Philippines Regional Forum****

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

30 minutes ago, W1ndy said:

Hi all,

I am 22, and the beneficiary is 23 from The Philippines. We haven't done the I-129F yet, but I know that CFO is something that beneficiaries from The Philippines have to deal with when getting a K-1 Visa. However, I cannot find a concrete explanation of the expectations and requirements from the CFO, especially for people below 25 y/o. Can anyone that has gone through this process explain what is required, and what are reasons for application denial?

Do a search for "CFO" in the upper right search box.

Most results seem random hit-or-miss depending on the CFO officer, not based on any particular criteria for passing.

The CFO sticker is designed to protect the filipina from abusive foreigners to human trafficking, and it is purely at the discretion of the CFO officer to grant the sticker or not.

Some have suggested if the filipina shows strong self-confidence to the CFO, then that shows she can stand up for herself and have better chance for approval.

What seems consistent is if the filipina fails with one CFO, she needs to keep applying with another CFO until she passes. So persistence is the key, and it is very possible the departure flight needs to be delayed until she passes.

There have even been stories of filipina with the CFO sticker but were denied boarding by the airline.

My K1 beneficiary had a CFO interview and the officer just said to come back next time. Next available spot was 3 weeks later. She kept calling for a different CFO and was eventually granted a sticker by another CFO officer a few days later.

1 hour ago, W1ndy said:

However, I cannot find a concrete explanation of the expectations and requirements from the CFO, especially for people below 25 y/o.

I take it that you are new to Philippine culture and customs. First warning, there is nothing consistent and everything is up for interpretation. All CFO officers are different and 1 may approve while another would give you a hard time. Don't sweat it too much. In the end I don't recall anyone saying that they were denied, the bigger question is how many hoops will they make you jump through first. I think you want to know which hoops and how many you will need to jump through. That all depends on the person doing the interview. You haven't even filed so you have a LONG way to go. You should not even be thinking about this yet.

Timeline
16 minutes ago, EatBulaga said:

Do a search for "CFO" in the upper right search box.

Most results seem random hit-or-miss depending on the CFO officer, not based on any particular criteria for passing.

The CFO sticker is designed to protect the filipina from abusive foreigners to human trafficking, and it is purely at the discretion of the CFO officer to grant the sticker or not.

Some have suggested if the filipina shows strong self-confidence to the CFO, then that shows she can stand up for herself and have better chance for approval.

What seems consistent is if the filipina fails with one CFO, she needs to keep applying with another CFO until she passes. So persistence is the key, and it is very possible the departure flight needs to be delayed until she passes.

There have even been stories of filipina with the CFO sticker but were denied boarding by the airline.

My K1 beneficiary had a CFO interview and the officer just said to come back next time. Next available spot was 3 weeks later. She kept calling for a different CFO and was eventually granted a sticker by another CFO officer a few days later.

Thank you so much for the explanation. I wasn't sure whether the process was a 1 time thing and if you got denied you're screwed, so I am just glad to know it works this way. 

Timeline
16 minutes ago, RO_AH said:

I take it that you are new to Philippine culture and customs. First warning, there is nothing consistent and everything is up for interpretation. All CFO officers are different and 1 may approve while another would give you a hard time. Don't sweat it too much. In the end I don't recall anyone saying that they were denied, the bigger question is how many hoops will they make you jump through first. I think you want to know which hoops and how many you will need to jump through. That all depends on the person doing the interview. You haven't even filed so you have a LONG way to go. You should not even be thinking about this yet.

Well, my beneficiary was more worried than I was haha, but I'm glad to know it works this way. It's inefficient, but it's also good to know that you'll get it -eventually- . We know that the whole K-1 process is long, so we wanted to make sure that we weren't gonna endure months of waiting only to be denied by CFO at the end. 

53 minutes ago, W1ndy said:

Well, my beneficiary was more worried than I was haha, but I'm glad to know it works this way. It's inefficient, but it's also good to know that you'll get it -eventually- . We know that the whole K-1 process is long, so we wanted to make sure that we weren't gonna endure months of waiting only to be denied by CFO at the end. 

I hope I don't catch flack for this but another thing about Philippine culture...They love to worry.🤣 Oh yeah, and you can call her your fiance :)

Edited by RO_AH

23 hours ago, W1ndy said:

Thank you so much for the explanation. I wasn't sure whether the process was a 1 time thing and if you got denied you're screwed, so I am just glad to know it works this way. 

I just checked with my filipina spouse.

Last year before she came to the US, she downloaded the CFO certificate that had a QR code.

She did not have the CFO sticker, even though she had the email saying the sticker would be sent to her a few weeks later.

She did not wait for the sticker before coming to the US.

I did a quick scan of the QR code and all it does is copy the certificate number, not forward to any site with special permission, etc.

Edited by EatBulaga

Here's the actual list of requirements they sent my wife.  She got through it pretty easy with just the basic items 1-4 and no requests for anything from the "additional documents may be required" list.  But you can see how it could turn into an ordeal if someone gets a counselor that starts asking for some of the crazier stuff.

As far as the actual stickers, my stepdaughters sticker was sent to her Philippine address literally 6 months after she was already in the US.  My wifes was never sent.  They had the temporary QR code when they left.

Dear CFO Client,

You have just created an account with CFO-OFCORS for Guidance and Couseling Program (GCP). Please send the digital copies of the following registration requirements for checking/verification at *******@cfo.gov.ph:

1. Valid passport;
2. Valid visa or visa grant notice; and
3. Petitioner's passport
4. Marriage certificate or Report of Marriage - ROM (in PSA security paper) (if married)

Additional documents may be required in the event that the counselor determines it to be essential to complete the guidance and counseling process.
1. Divorce decree/certificate (of Filipino spouse or foreign spouse, if previously married);
2. Annulment paper (of Filipino spouse or foreign spouse, if previously married);
3. Proof of residency/Alien Registration Card-ARC (of foreign spouse);
4. Proof of relationship (picture together, e-mails, among others);
5. Death certificate (of Filipino spouse or foreign spouse, if widow/widower);
6. Certificate of Family relations / registration (of foreign spouse);
7. Declaration of undertaking of travel in letter format to include the following activities to prepare for travel, Itinerary of Travel and How to ensure safe travel and stay (if will be required by counselor/facilitator);
8. Affidavit of invitation and support (financial support/safety/medical insurance) notarized and authenticated by the Philippine Embassy or Consulate who has jurisdiction over the destination or host country (if will be required by counselor/facilitator);
9. Explanation on why the foreign partner cannot travel to the Philippines in letter format (if will be required by counselor/facilitator);
10. Valid no criminal records certification/clearance or any equivalent document to indicate lack of criminal derogatory record or medical/psychological condition (if will be required by counselor/facilitator).

CFO Officers will go over your documents which can take a few days to process. We will update your verification status thru another e-mail. In the event that your requirements are complete and verified, you will be notified of your tele-counseling schedule by your counselor/facilitator

Wife and Stepdaughter                                                                            

• December 17, 2020:  Married in Costa Rica
  • March 08, 2021: Filed l-130s Online
  • March 09, 2021: NOA1
  • April 26, 2021: NOA2, I-130s Approved
  • April 30, 2021: NVC Received
  • May 01, 2021: Pay AOS and IV Bills
  • May 06, 2021: Submit AOS, Financial Docs and DS-260s
  • May 14, 2021: Submit Civil Docs for Stepdaughter
  • May 21, 2021: Submit Civil Docs for Wife
  • June 25, 2021: NVC review for Stepdaughter, RFE submit additional Doc
  • July 08, 2021: Wife Documentarily Qualified by NVC
  • August 31, 2021: Stepdaughter Documentarily Qualified by NVC
  • September 15, 2021: Received Interview Date from NVC, October 05, 2021
  • September 22, 2021: Passed physicals at Saint Luke's Extension Clinic
  • October 05, 2021: Interview at US Embassy Manila. Verbally approved by US Consul. Positive interview experience.
  • October 05, 2021: CEAC status changed to "Issued"
  • October 07, 2021: Passports tracking for delivery on 2GO Courier website
  • October 08, 2021: Passports with visas delivered.  "Visas on hand"
  • October 08, 2021: Paid Immigrant Fee
  • October 12, 2021: Temporary CFO Certificates Received
  • October 26, 2021 POE arrival at LAX
  • November 02, 2021 Social Security Cards arrive in mail
  • January 31, 2022: USCIS Status changed to "Card Is Being Produced"
  • February 04, 2022: USCIS Status changed to "Card Was Mailed To Me"
  • February 07, 2022: Green cards received. 

4 hours ago, top_secret said:

Additional documents may be required in the event that the counselor determines it to be essential to complete the guidance and counseling process.

Means just that. Only submit if you are asked :)

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/28/2024 at 12:31 AM, Kenneth Fera said:

My beneficiary is going for her CFO  the confirmation form tells her to bring form with barcode it has a QR code no barcode will that be okay?

Hello, I suspect your fiance already went but if not, I got my certificate yesterday. I can confirm that the GCP form with the QR Code (no barcode) will be ok. I think they meant the QR code to be the barcode. Just make sure she brings all the applicable requirements listed on that form.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.