Barbara duran

Ceac Refused k1/ 2nd interview

26 posts in this topic

93D99D8D-6E1C-43C8-841C-50CFA04DDBB8.thumb.jpeg.c37731d152f06e86ffb6bd9d6036276e.jpegHello me and my fiancé had an interview Jan 27th 2023. Great interview approved on the spot. On CEAC it changed immediately to "approved" on Feb 13th we called to ask about the visa. My fiancé received a email and a phone call requesting for me and him to go back on the 13th to finalize the interview. Due to the short noticed I was unable to go, I sent a letter explaining, he went to the interview by himself. They interviewed him for 15 min in a private room and informed him they will inform via email if they will grant him a visa or not. They did stay with his passport from the first interview. Yesterday on ceac it shows as non immigrant and refused. Any advice?? This process is really stressful  

~~ Topic moved from Process & Procedures to Progress Reports ~~

What did they ask your fiancé during the second interview? 

Verbal approvals don’t count. CO can say approved but It is not approved until you see “Issued” on CEAC.

Refused doesn’t mean denied. Looks like it’s in Administrative Process (AP). There’s nothing you can do but wait. As I mentioned, once it says “Issued” that means the visa was printed. 

3 minutes ago, powerpuff said:

~~ Topic moved from Process & Procedures to Progress Reports ~~

What did they ask your fiancé during the second interview? 

Verbal approvals don’t count. CO can say approved but It is not approved until you see “Issued” on CEAC.

Refused doesn’t mean denied. Looks like it’s in Administrative Process (AP). There’s nothing you can do but wait. As I mentioned, once it says “Issued” that means the visa was printed. 

They asked how we met

about my kid, where I live questions like that and also about our pictures and the people on the pictures.

do you think by saying non immigrant is a good sign?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

At this point REFUSED means going thru the AP process

Watch CEAC for issued or denied as there is nothing to do but to wait for CO decision

looks like the CO wanted confirmation about how well your fiancee knew u and your family and living conditions

To be approved for a K1 he must know u well ,  have spent quality time together  and be ready to take on father type responsibilities so its important he knows not only u but your Kid

1 hour ago, Barbara duran said:

They asked how we met

about my kid, where I live questions like that and also about our pictures and the people on the pictures.

Usually, when it’s going to be approved, it changes from non-immigrant to immigrant. All you can do is sit tight and wait 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
1 hour ago, Barbara duran said:

K-1 is a non immigrant visa. It means nothing with respect to approval or not.  

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

Hard to give an opinion with an incomplete timeline. What embassy are you talking about?

FROM F1 TO AOS

October 17, 2019 AOS receipt date 

December 09, 2019: Biometric appointment

January 15, 2020 RFE received

January 30, 2020  RFE response sent

Feb 7: EAD approved and interview scheduled

March 18, 2020 Interview cancelled

April 14th 2020: RFE received

April 29, 2020 Approved without interview

May 1, 2020 Card in hand

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

February 1, 2022 package sent

March 28, 2022 Fingerprints reused

July 18, 2023 approval

July 20, 2023 Card in hand

N400 

January 30,2023: Online filing

February 4th, 2023: Biometric appointment

June 15th, 2023: Case actively being reviewed

July 11th, 2023: Interview scheduled.

August 30th, 2023: Interview!

August 31st, 2023: Oath ceremony scheduled.

Sept 19th, 2023: Officially a US citizen!

2 hours ago, Barbara duran said:

93D99D8D-6E1C-43C8-841C-50CFA04DDBB8.thumb.jpeg.c37731d152f06e86ffb6bd9d6036276e.jpegHello me and my fiancé had an interview Jan 27th 2023. Great interview approved on the spot. On CEAC it changed immediately to "approved" on Feb 13th we called to ask about the visa. My fiancé received a email and a phone call requesting for me and him to go back on the 13th to finalize the interview. Due to the short noticed I was unable to go, I sent a letter explaining, he went to the interview by himself. They interviewed him for 15 min in a private room and informed him they will inform via email if they will grant him a visa or not. They did stay with his passport from the first interview. Yesterday on ceac it shows as non immigrant and refused. Any advice?? This process is really stressful  

No visas are "approved on the spot."

It is unfortunate that you couldn't return for the second interview, as they obviously had questions for both of you.  It's possible they may want to interview you by phone.

Sounds like there are red flags in your case.  Any idea what they may be?  Did you mean that they still have his passport?

1 hour ago, powerpuff said:

Usually, when it’s going to be approved, it changes from non-immigrant to immigrant. All you can do is sit tight and wait 

Hopefully that's the case for me, thank you 

58 minutes ago, Rocio0010 said:

Hard to give an opinion with an incomplete timeline. What embassy are you talking about?

Dominican Republic 

12 minutes ago, Jorgedig said:

No visas are "approved on the spot."

It is unfortunate that you couldn't return for the second interview, as they obviously had questions for both of you.  It's possible they may want to interview you by phone.

Sounds like there are red flags in your case.  Any idea what they may be?  Did you mean that they still have his passport?

I know, in the letter my fiancé gave them I explained why I didn't attend, and If I still was needed to please provide enough notice, they only gave us a 3 day notice. 

And honestly no I have no reason to believe we had red flags, I believed we supplied them with enough proof of our relationship 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
52 minutes ago, Barbara duran said:

I know, in the letter my fiancé gave them I explained why I didn't attend, and If I still was needed to please provide enough notice, they only gave us a 3 day notice. 

And honestly no I have no reason to believe we had red flags, I believed we supplied them with enough proof of our relationship 

Its normal for CO if they believe in any of the Red flag issues which sometimes have nothing to do with your evidence :  example the decision to petition happened fast after meeting

Here is a lawyer's best example of red flags 

https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/red-flags-that-make-uscis-suspect-marriage-fraud.html

It would help VJ community if u posted profile in your account

and the very best to the 2 of u / wishing u much happiness in the future

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

Most cases that undergo AP means a further investigation on your case. In may takes 2 weeks, months even years…there is no way to know when you’ll have your answer. For the USEM to put you on AP, there must be something in your initial application and during the interview that raise red flag/s. 

you can check which of these:

Presence of certain application “red flags”

“Red flags” that can raise suspicions about the legitimacy of your relationship include a large age difference, limited or nonexistent communication ability due to lack of a common language, and wide cultural or religious differences, photos that may suspect you had a marital ceremony etc. In many cases, it is not a single factor, but a combination of factors, that leads to rejection of a fiancé(e) visa application.

However, you can still appeal if they denied your application. You may ask some of your local legislators or senators for help. Or ask an immigration lawyer. For now, there is nothing you can do but contact them every 2-3months.

Please keep us posted. This will be a big help for everyone who are in the same situation or might have. Goodluck! 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
1 hour ago, Mar u said:

However, you can still appeal if they denied your application.

Normally, that is not true for a K-1.  Consulates have sole approval authority.  Usually, they merely return the K-1 case to USCIS where it expires.   An expiration notice from USCIS is all that the petitioner gets. 

Edited by Crazy Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline
23 minutes ago, Crazy Cat said:

Normally, that is not true for a K-1.  Consulates have sole approval authority.  Usually, they merely return the K-1 case to USCIS where it expires.   An expiration notice from USCIS is all that the petitioner gets. 

I have a friend (K1 2019) who was told that their case will be returned to the USCIS after few weeks of being in AP status. The petitioner asked help from their local legislator. The ff week, the same CO that interviewed the beneficiary,  made a phone interview. She expected the call because the legislature informed the petitioner  that she will have a second interview.

Their story: 

She (beneficiary) was introduced to the petitioner by the wife of the petitioner’s brother that raise a red flag.

After the phone interview, she was told to send the passport back to the Usem-manila. 

She got the visa. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.