Maury&I

Co-Sponsor Appeal Advice for 2nd Interview

6 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Hello Group,

Seeking advice for our 2nd interview, our situation and their request for a co-sponsor which I can't get but also think we don't need one but want to ask Visa Journeys opinion because we don't want to have to wait until a 3rd interview. So first interview we were told that we need to get a co-sponsor but I believe that was because of 3 mistakes that were made. 

1)First mistake was our household # was 3 instead of just 2 and my affidavit of support income is for two people, not 3. I'm a small business owner and my net income reported was $24,500 + a new job in 2022 which leads into mistake 2.

2) Forgot to provide evidence/copies of new, job paychecks. Annual income for new job is $32,000. 

3) IRS did an adjustment on my 2021 taxes and increased my net income to $26,500 due to an error by my accountant.  So my affidavit of support numbers for 2021 is $26,500(business income) + new job of $32,000 for 2022 + business income. 

They also want 2020 taxes but I lived in Ecuador for 10-12 months of this year due to Covid, so didn't meet minimum requirements that year. Hopefully they will understand and know that Covid slowed thousands of businesses. 

All of our marriage evidence seemed to be approved. They said my income was to low and on the blue form, checked off we needing a co-sponsor and few other easy, fixable tasks. I'm from a very small family and waited an half year to submit my affidavit of support to have enough business profit and also got a w-2 job. Before waiting the 6 months, I researched the co-sponsor possibility amongst my family and friends and no one was warm to the idea.  

Million dollar question for 2nd interview. With the mistakes corrected, additional income evidence which was in our online profile but the Ecuador embassy doesn't appear to have access too, new tax increase and my wife now having the experience to possible better explain affidavit of support concerns, would you recommend trying the 2nd interview again without a co-sponsor?  Also my wife said her first interviewer was a lady and was very catty with her. Even made a couple sarcastic comments. So hopefully next interview, she gets someone that's more professional in their job.  One more thing about our relationship, we do have an age difference but as I mentioned, they seemed to be good with our bona-fide marriage evidence, just not the income. 

Thanks for all and any advice. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

I would follow the path of least resistance.  Get a joint sponsor as recommended/instructed by the Consulate Officer.   The Consulate Officer is the sole approval authority for visas.   You will not get another opportunity, imo. 

Edited by Crazy Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline
Just now, Crazy Cat said:

I would follow the path of least resistance.  Get a joint sponsor. 

Thanks for the suggestion but as I mentioned in original post, that's not as easy as everyone thinks it is for our situation. I asked the people that I thought might help and they showed no interest so i'm not going to twist their arm into it or bribe someone. It really irks me because she is Venezuelan and could have got her into the country by other means if we had known that the USA was going to give all of them free 2 year working visas. She knows of many other Venezuelans that were living here in Ecuador that are now in the USA, living and working and it only took 3 months and a lot less of an investment to get there. Anyways, that's another whole post. LOL 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
1 minute ago, Maury&I said:

Thanks for the suggestion but as I mentioned in original post, that's not as easy as everyone thinks it is for our situation. I asked the people that I thought might help and they showed no interest so i'm not going to twist their arm into it or bribe someone. It really irks me because she is Venezuelan and could have got her into the country by other means if we had known that the USA was going to give all of them free 2 year working visas. She knows of many other Venezuelans that were living here in Ecuador that are now in the USA, living and working and it only took 3 months and a lot less of an investment to get there. Anyways, that's another whole post. LOL 

The Consulate Officer could deny the application if you leave them room to doubt your ability to provide financial support to her during the second interview.  I would do everything I could to get a joint sponsor....Just my opinion. 

By the way, why is there a second interview?  Normally, the CO asks you to upload joint sponsor documents. 

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline
Just now, Crazy Cat said:

The Consulate Officer could deny the application if you leave them room to doubt your ability to provide financial support to her during the second interview.  I would do everything I could to get a joint sponsor....Just my opinion. 

By the way, why is there a second interview?  Normally, the CO asks you to upload joint sponsor documents. 

Thanks again for your help. You are correct and we are misunderstanding about the interview. 1q On the 221(g), they have the I-864 new guarantor section checked and also requesting a Cert de movimiento migratorio for me.  

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

The CO has the packet for interview but u have the responsibility to give your wife the new IRS documents and W2 so she could prove the income and the corrected # of household  OR

did you send this with the case # and both names and DOB's to the embassy so the CO had the corrections?

Did u show in IRS business tax reports or by bank statements what u received monthly for a personal pay?

Usually business profits are returned back into the business 

CO goes by totality of circumstances so did u show your small business has health care insurance that u will be able to add her to (as this is very expensive for small business owners)

And age difference is noted but will not be mentioned 

Does your wife have an education that will enable her to work in the US   /I would add that to any documents u send embassy if she intends to work

If u get a NOID or NOIR  be prepared to have the documents ready to submit them in your response to USCIS 

Immigration needs more than just a "say so"  they need actual proof of the issues bought up by the CO

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.