Denokarter

I-864 Affidavit of Support ( Applicant supporting Petitioner)

17 posts in this topic

Hi everyone

Im an American citizen sponsoring my Canadian husband. We live in Canada but want to relocate to America with our children. 

He’s going to work remotely, his income supports both of us as I’m not working. 

Is there a specific form that I should be using when the applicant is financially supporting the petitioner?

Anything I should know before filling the I-864 with 0$ as income on my side ( I don’t think he has to file that form) 

Is this going to cause any issues, as me the petitioner, I have no income, but the applicant does? 

thank you 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

You can use a joint sponsor.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

No it is not, the requirements are detailed in the I 864. https://www.uscis.gov/i-864

Just seemed an obvious comment on the basis of your post

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
11 hours ago, Denokarter said:

Is this going to cause any issues, as me the petitioner, I have no income, but the applicant does? 

It’s going to complicate the process  but what you are trying to do is legally possible and I believe  some embassies for some cases have allowed. However some quick sleuthing didn’t find a specific example.  

Why this is complex: 

* Use your beneficiary as your co-sponsor. Note that I didn’t write “joint sponsor”.  Too many times people confuse the two. To add to the confusion a joint  sponsor is also allowed (and sometimes required) to have a co-sponsor. Your  co-sponsor (your spouse) would file I-864a. 

* your co-sponsor’s income will continue after moving to the U.S. So for example is  the employer going to pay in Euros or USD? If Euros  you have to get past any problems with NVC or the embassy complaint that it needs a stable foreign exchange number to verify the income exceeds the poverty level.  

Do you have assets? @ROK2USA successfully immigrated in 2022 based on assets.   I recommend that if you have assets.  

Edited by Mike E

12 hours ago, Denokarter said:

Hi everyone

Im an American citizen sponsoring my Canadian husband. We live in Canada but want to relocate to America with our children. 

Is there a specific form that I should be using when the applicant is financially supporting the petitioner?

Anything I should know before filling the I-864 with 0$ as income on my side ( I don’t think he has to file that form) 

thank you 

You’re going to have to show the income will continue in the US after the move. 
will your husband transfer to a job based out of the US or is the plan to continue working for a Canadian company but remote? 
I’ve only ever read success stories of the beneficiary self sponsoring (because that’s what it is) when going through London and DCF (no NVC involved). 
I advise finding a joint sponsor or using assets. 

Unless you have solid proof your husband's company is comfortable having him work remote and has made and will make all the arrangements to allow him to work in the US (tax compliance etc). 

you can read this thread for ideas 

And this post 

Edited by ROK2USA

Timeline

London is for the K1.

Timeline

I self sponsored K1 but looking at that the USC was able to use the spouses income as effectively her continuing family income in meeting the I 864 requirements, she still is on the hook for the I 864.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
17 hours ago, Denokarter said:

Hi everyone

thank you 

You can self sponsor by adding your husband's income on the same I-864 (current annual household income).  You will need to provide proof that the income will continue (husband's employer's remote work/ agreement/ documentation).

https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/document/forms/i-864instr.pdf

Page 8:

If you included the income of the intending immigrant who is your spouse (he or she would be counted in Part 5., Item Number 1.), you must provide evidence that his/her income will continue from the current source after obtaining lawful permanent resident status. He or she does not need to complete Form I-864A unless he or she has accompanying children.

Edited by SteveInBostonI130

33 minutes ago, SteveInBostonI130 said:

You can self sponsor by adding your husband's income on the same I-864 (current annual household income).  You will need to provide proof that the income will continue (husband's employer's remote work/ agreement/ documentation).

https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/document/forms/i-864instr.pdf

Page 8:

This is what I wanted to hear! Thank you so much, I looked at the form and it does say household income, it seems they care more about the household income than my own personal income. I will be going this route, thank you!! 

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
13 minutes ago, Denokarter said:

This is what I wanted to hear! Thank you so much, I looked at the form and it does say household income, it seems they care more about the household income than my own personal income. I will be going this route, thank you!! 

Yeah, "Listen to SteveinBoston130".  He's exactly right.  (Doesn't exactly roll of the tongue like "Listen to Pushbrk" but it works)

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline
2 hours ago, Denokarter said:

Heads up, I’m not saying that Steve is in the wrong or not, but never ever take advice based on if it’s what you wanted to hear, especially with immigration 

FROM F1 TO AOS

October 17, 2019 AOS receipt date 

December 09, 2019: Biometric appointment

January 15, 2020 RFE received

January 30, 2020  RFE response sent

Feb 7: EAD approved and interview scheduled

March 18, 2020 Interview cancelled

April 14th 2020: RFE received

April 29, 2020 Approved without interview

May 1, 2020 Card in hand

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

February 1, 2022 package sent

March 28, 2022 Fingerprints reused

July 18, 2023 approval

July 20, 2023 Card in hand

N400 

January 30,2023: Online filing

February 4th, 2023: Biometric appointment

June 15th, 2023: Case actively being reviewed

July 11th, 2023: Interview scheduled.

August 30th, 2023: Interview!

August 31st, 2023: Oath ceremony scheduled.

Sept 19th, 2023: Officially a US citizen!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.