EdwardSnowden

CR1 is DQ, current wait time for interview in Manila?

533 posts in this topic

There really aren't ever any updates, per se. Aside from the Department of State's bulletins, which have seemed for the last two years to tout their pride in the massive number of tourist, student, and employment visas issued worldwide. 

If you follow timelines here on VJ, that can give you a little bit of an idea. And the monthly visa statistics. 

My wife is DQ August 2023. She did not get an interview letter this month. The latest DQ date of August 2023 I am aware of receiving a regular CR1 interview letter is August 3, 2023. That doesn't mean no later dates got them; I'm just not aware of it from here on VJ or other groups I'm a member of. 

IRs appear to be the hot visa type right now for processing, trying to clear the backlog. I suspect next month we will see visa statistic numbers from USEM for May 2024 that will be something like 11,000 tourist visas issued, maybe 150 IR1s, and probably something like 8 or 10 CR1 visas. Numbers like that seem to be the average for the past couple of years. 

17 hours ago, Jason and May said:

There really aren't ever any updates, per se. Aside from the Department of State's bulletins, which have seemed for the last two years to tout their pride in the massive number of tourist, student, and employment visas issued worldwide. 

If you follow timelines here on VJ, that can give you a little bit of an idea. And the monthly visa statistics. 

My wife is DQ August 2023. She did not get an interview letter this month. The latest DQ date of August 2023 I am aware of receiving a regular CR1 interview letter is August 3, 2023. That doesn't mean no later dates got them; I'm just not aware of it from here on VJ or other groups I'm a member of. 

IRs appear to be the hot visa type right now for processing, trying to clear the backlog. I suspect next month we will see visa statistic numbers from USEM for May 2024 that will be something like 11,000 tourist visas issued, maybe 150 IR1s, and probably something like 8 or 10 CR1 visas. Numbers like that seem to be the average for the past couple of years. 

Let's be honest, IRs aren't faring that much better than CRs at this point. They're both in awful situations. It is completely unacceptable that tourist and fiance(e) visas are totally fine though. 

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, An D said:

Let's be honest, IRs aren't faring that much better than CRs at this point. They're both in awful situations. It is completely unacceptable that tourist and fiance(e) visas are totally fine though. 

Relatively speaking, the IR category is doing just fine. Sort of. 

When we can say 60 times more IR1s than CR1s were issued in Feburary 2024, that sounds like a lot. But 1 CR1 was issued while 67 IR1s were issued. So it's really not a lot. 

IR5s are what are being processed. To reduce the backlog, as I've understood it. So in February, nearly 400 IR5s were issued, while that 1 CR1 was issued and 67 IR1s. 

March? 5 CR1s. 55 IR1s. And over 400 IR5s. 

That's the reality. 

So, yes, I do agree, spousal visas as a whole are not fairing quite well. But fairly consistent single-digit CR1 numbers are pretty bleak for the CR1 folks, as all indications point towards if you get married and petition, that oft-quoted 24 to 30-month timeframe from petition to visa in hand is pretty spot on these days. Nothing is efficient. And you just...wait your turn. Except. You kind of don't in a way. Because if you're a CR1 and IR1s get auto expedited and you miss the cutoff by, say, 3 weeks before your visa converts, you're probably now waiting that much longer, because all those auto expedited IRs need interviews, baby, and now....?

Just keep waiting.

For your turn. 

A lot of people say they prefer IR1 to avoid the messy and costly RoC, but, for me, I would have gladly walked through RoC with my wife just to have her here with me. I can navigate the immigration system and rules, and we can pay the fee. It wouldn't be so bad if I could have continued going back and forth every 6 months. But in my situation, I can't go back right now because of work, so it will be a year or more before we see each other again. If her visa is issued by this fall, anyway. 

My point is I agree. It's a logistical nightmare. And many people are exhausted and kind of nearing a breaking point right now. It's unfortunate at best. 

Edited by Jason and May
Additional information

18 minutes ago, Jason and May said:

Relatively speaking, the IR category is doing just fine. Sort of. 

When we can say 60 times more IR1s than CR1s were issued in February 2024, that sounds like a lot. But 1 CR1 was issued while 67 IR1s were issued. So it's really not a lot.  CR cases are becoming an endangered species 

I think a lot of that is due to CR cases all converting to IR cases by the time any visas are issued because the embassy is taking so long.  CR cases are becoming an endangered species in Manila.

Wife and Stepdaughter                                                                            

• December 17, 2020:  Married in Costa Rica
  • March 08, 2021: Filed l-130s Online
  • March 09, 2021: NOA1
  • April 26, 2021: NOA2, I-130s Approved
  • April 30, 2021: NVC Received
  • May 01, 2021: Pay AOS and IV Bills
  • May 06, 2021: Submit AOS, Financial Docs and DS-260s
  • May 14, 2021: Submit Civil Docs for Stepdaughter
  • May 21, 2021: Submit Civil Docs for Wife
  • June 25, 2021: NVC review for Stepdaughter, RFE submit additional Doc
  • July 08, 2021: Wife Documentarily Qualified by NVC
  • August 31, 2021: Stepdaughter Documentarily Qualified by NVC
  • September 15, 2021: Received Interview Date from NVC, October 05, 2021
  • September 22, 2021: Passed physicals at Saint Luke's Extension Clinic
  • October 05, 2021: Interview at US Embassy Manila. Verbally approved by US Consul. Positive interview experience.
  • October 05, 2021: CEAC status changed to "Issued"
  • October 07, 2021: Passports tracking for delivery on 2GO Courier website
  • October 08, 2021: Passports with visas delivered.  "Visas on hand"
  • October 08, 2021: Paid Immigrant Fee
  • October 12, 2021: Temporary CFO Certificates Received
  • October 26, 2021 POE arrival at LAX
  • November 02, 2021 Social Security Cards arrive in mail
  • January 31, 2022: USCIS Status changed to "Card Is Being Produced"
  • February 04, 2022: USCIS Status changed to "Card Was Mailed To Me"
  • February 07, 2022: Green cards received. 

I think a lot of that is due to CR cases all converting to IR cases by the time any visas are issued because the embassy is taking so long.

Based on my observations on what is happening and personal experience, this is most likely the case. 

I think for spousal visas (IR1/CR1), the two most important factors NVC is using to determine which cases move to interview at USEM are the priority date and secondly, the DQ date.  With all the delays at USCIS/NVC/USEM, the cases with the earliest priority dates are most likely already IR1s by the time the case is DQ'ed or CR1s converted to IR1s while the case has been sitting at NVC after it has been DQ'ed. When you log into CEAC, you will see your visa class change from CR1 to IR1 around your second anniversary date.  If your case been DQ'ed late, then will probably have to wait longer than someone with the same priority date.

Whether the visa that is ultimately issued by USEM is an IR1 or CR1 is irrelevant.  They are essentially the same except your visa says "CR1" if the embassy issues the visa within two years of your marriage and "IR1" if you have been married more than two years.  Then, when you enter the US, if you are still within two years of marriage, USCIS will issue a 2-yr conditional green card or if you have been married more than two years, they will issue a 10-yr green card (even if your visa is marked CR1).

DoS statistics published only show the end result; that an IR1 or a CR1 was issued by USEM.  Not what the visa class was when are at the NVC stage.  Given the backlog at USEM, the vast majority of the spousal visas issued are now IR1s whether they were converted from CR1s or not.  The CR1s you see in the stats are likely cases that have been expedited, not cases that moved forward on their own.

That said, there are probably other factors that are used by NVC/USEM to take action on a case.  So anecdotally, you might see cases that don't fit with the above.  But I think looking at the bigger picture, that is what has been happening.

It is extremely frustrating to be sitting and waiting and seeing a whole bunch of IR1s being issued while very few CR1s are being issued.  Remember that if you take priority date into account, those with the earliest priority dates started the process earlier and therefore have been waiting the longest and ultimately are issued an IR1.  

On 5/23/2024 at 10:20 AM, SAMjourney said:

Based on my observations on what is happening and personal experience, this is most likely the case. 

I think for spousal visas (IR1/CR1), the two most important factors NVC is using to determine which cases move to interview at USEM are the priority date and secondly, the DQ date.  With all the delays at USCIS/NVC/USEM, the cases with the earliest priority dates are most likely already IR1s by the time the case is DQ'ed or CR1s converted to IR1s while the case has been sitting at NVC after it has been DQ'ed. When you log into CEAC, you will see your visa class change from CR1 to IR1 around your second anniversary date.  If your case been DQ'ed late, then will probably have to wait longer than someone with the same priority date.

Whether the visa that is ultimately issued by USEM is an IR1 or CR1 is irrelevant.  They are essentially the same except your visa says "CR1" if the embassy issues the visa within two years of your marriage and "IR1" if you have been married more than two years.  Then, when you enter the US, if you are still within two years of marriage, USCIS will issue a 2-yr conditional green card or if you have been married more than two years, they will issue a 10-yr green card (even if your visa is marked CR1).

DoS statistics published only show the end result; that an IR1 or a CR1 was issued by USEM.  Not what the visa class was when are at the NVC stage.  Given the backlog at USEM, the vast majority of the spousal visas issued are now IR1s whether they were converted from CR1s or not.  The CR1s you see in the stats are likely cases that have been expedited, not cases that moved forward on their own.

That said, there are probably other factors that are used by NVC/USEM to take action on a case.  So anecdotally, you might see cases that don't fit with the above.  But I think looking at the bigger picture, that is what has been happening.

It is extremely frustrating to be sitting and waiting and seeing a whole bunch of IR1s being issued while very few CR1s are being issued.  Remember that if you take priority date into account, those with the earliest priority dates started the process earlier and therefore have been waiting the longest and ultimately are issued an IR1.  

If the spouse is a US citizen the priority date does not matter. Priority dates are for your spot for "available" visas for immigration that year. Visas are always available for the spouse of a US citizen. 

14 hours ago, tw8 said:

If the spouse is a US citizen the priority date does not matter. Priority dates are for your spot for "available" visas for immigration that year. Visas are always available for the spouse of a US citizen. 

Maybe I'm using the wrong term.  By Priority Date, I meant the date your petition was filed with USCIS.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, SAMjourney said:

Maybe I'm using the wrong term.  By Priority Date, I meant the date your petition was filed with USCIS.

That is the priority date and that comes into play when comparing it to the visa bulletins for those it applies to.  You don't become DQ if your priority date isn't current (which is applicable of visa holder applying for an overseas spouse. I.e. Work visa applying to bring a spouse over). 

The interviews are supposed to be scheduled pretty much based on How long you've been Documentarily qualified in order unless and expedite petition is approved. 

As for whether or not that's what the embassy/nvc is following or it's just whatever they feel like is another story. 

Edited by tw8
clarity

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/23/2024 at 12:20 PM, SAMjourney said:

I don't know, man. I don't think any of us will make any guesses, educated or otherwise, that are the answer. 

What I do see, though, is a massive disparity between immigrant and nonimmigrant issuance numbers. 

In 2023, USEM issued 249, 644 nonimmigrant visas compared to 173,371 issued in 2022, and also compared to the 30,491 immigrant visas issued in 2023. 

Nonimmigrant visas issuances went up 44% from 2022. Immigrant visa issuances also went up 43.14%. But, then, nonimmigrant visas have always been a priority, despite the Department of State's words of: "The guiding principle on which we have based immigrant visa prioritization is that family reunification is a clear priority of the U.S. Government’s immigration policy, a priority is expressed in the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA).  Specifically, the Department’s prioritization relied on clear direction from Congress that the Department must adopt a policy of prioritizing immediate relative visa applicants and K-1 fiancées of U.S. citizens, followed by family preference immigrant visa applicants." 

It's difficult to see prioritization here. It's also difficult to believe in any backlog talk. If there is a backlog, then USEM probably shouldn't be back to cranking out the same number of immigrant visas they always have but pumping out 12,000 and 14,000 tourist visas monthly. 

I won't make any predictions but I do believe this coming week will be telling.  Based on the last few months there should be a new round of NVC scheduling.  They are clearly fully into the entirety of the backlog and last month virtually did nothing.  Last month you could attribute the lack of progress to the IR mass expedite working through the system.  This month there are currently 600+ appointments open in July.  At minimum, unlimited open appointments means the IR mass expedite is cleared and no longer a factor.  I feel the progress you see in this next week will clearly define where the embassy stands dealing with their issue going forward.

Wife and Stepdaughter                                                                            

• December 17, 2020:  Married in Costa Rica
  • March 08, 2021: Filed l-130s Online
  • March 09, 2021: NOA1
  • April 26, 2021: NOA2, I-130s Approved
  • April 30, 2021: NVC Received
  • May 01, 2021: Pay AOS and IV Bills
  • May 06, 2021: Submit AOS, Financial Docs and DS-260s
  • May 14, 2021: Submit Civil Docs for Stepdaughter
  • May 21, 2021: Submit Civil Docs for Wife
  • June 25, 2021: NVC review for Stepdaughter, RFE submit additional Doc
  • July 08, 2021: Wife Documentarily Qualified by NVC
  • August 31, 2021: Stepdaughter Documentarily Qualified by NVC
  • September 15, 2021: Received Interview Date from NVC, October 05, 2021
  • September 22, 2021: Passed physicals at Saint Luke's Extension Clinic
  • October 05, 2021: Interview at US Embassy Manila. Verbally approved by US Consul. Positive interview experience.
  • October 05, 2021: CEAC status changed to "Issued"
  • October 07, 2021: Passports tracking for delivery on 2GO Courier website
  • October 08, 2021: Passports with visas delivered.  "Visas on hand"
  • October 08, 2021: Paid Immigrant Fee
  • October 12, 2021: Temporary CFO Certificates Received
  • October 26, 2021 POE arrival at LAX
  • November 02, 2021 Social Security Cards arrive in mail
  • January 31, 2022: USCIS Status changed to "Card Is Being Produced"
  • February 04, 2022: USCIS Status changed to "Card Was Mailed To Me"
  • February 07, 2022: Green cards received. 

My last post here was on April 3, it was a meme of Dave Chapelle LOL. I went home to the Philippines, less than 2 weeks later to visit my wife for our 2nd year wedding anniversary. While my plane was landing at the NAIA Airport, I turned on my phone. My wife sent me a message 10 minutes before I landed saying she just got her IL. The email from the consulate came in literally while the plane was getting ready to land. 

She got her interview on May 16, her visa was in hand on the 21st. Next month, I am flying back to the Philippines to pick her up.

On 6/11/2024 at 9:08 AM, Adobo said:

My last post here was on April 3, it was a meme of Dave Chapelle LOL. I went home to the Philippines, less than 2 weeks later to visit my wife for our 2nd year wedding anniversary. While my plane was landing at the NAIA Airport, I turned on my phone. My wife sent me a message 10 minutes before I landed saying she just got her IL. The email from the consulate came in literally while the plane was getting ready to land. 

She got her interview on May 16, her visa was in hand on the 21st. Next month, I am flying back to the Philippines to pick her up.

Luckily, the process moved very fast once the embassy started processing us.  We're heading to the US on June 30 :)

June 25, 2022 - Married
June 28, 2022 - I-130 filed digitally

June 28, 2022 - NOA1 (Nebraska -> Vermont xfer)

June 8, 2023 - NOA2 (Vermont -> California xfer)
June 14, 2023 - At NVC

July 3, 2023 - NVC RFE

July 17, 2023 - NVC DQ

April 15, 2024 - IL

April 19, 2024 - Medical

May 23, 2024 - Interview

June 4, 2024 - CFO 
June 30, 2024 - Flight to US

• 3 weeks later...

We tried again to expedite and got turned down. This is burning me up, I live in a border town and see these people being allowed in with the red carpet and then Biden forgives all the illegals here that have been married for 10 years.... Mean time our embassy is busy playing funsies with all their events. And tourist visas.... My last resort will be a congressional request. This shouldn't be taking this long. There's a backlog because they want to.

Hey, hey! How about USEM, eh? Milking August 2023 DQs for 3 months now. Tease a few more letters out but not quite all of August. 

The Department of State's dedication to making this process as lengthy as possible is incredibly impressive. Infuriating when you're in the process. But impressive, nonetheless. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.