EdwardSnowden

CR1 is DQ, current wait time for interview in Manila?

534 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, Evan757 said:

Anybody have trouble with getting an NBI clearance with an AKA? We tried to get one and they refused to give it to us because my wife never legally changed her name (aside from taking my last name), though it seems like the embassy requires it. They're only letting us get one without an AKA.

I made my wife fight tooth and nail to get AKA when she went to get her NBI clearance. They would not at first either despite seeing the US Embassy website outlining it as a requirement. Eventually she got through to a supervisor or something and they were able to ultimately get her the NBI clearance with AKA.

I think there may be some confusion around the AKA though. I don't think AKA is needed if she has only been married once, to you, and your surname is on the NBI clearance already.

The end result for my wife was a NBI clearance in her maiden name, with AKA of her married name, along with my surname listed. I think the maiden name and husband surname by itself is sufficient, at least that's what I have read in a few places since then.

6 hours ago, Evan757 said:

Anybody have trouble with getting an NBI clearance with an AKA? We tried to get one and they refused to give it to us because my wife never legally changed her name (aside from taking my last name), though it seems like the embassy requires it. They're only letting us get one without an AKA.

If the only names your wife ever used in her life is the name exactly as it appears on her original birth certificate and your name.  Plus the NBI Clearance shows civil status "married" and includes your last name as "husband's surname".  Then she does not need an AKA.  It sounds like this describes your situation so most likely NBI is correct and she does not need an AKA.

If there are any annotations or corrections on her birth certificate or any document anywhere that is not identical to the name exactly as it appears on her original birth certificate, or if the NBI clearance shows civil status "single" then she does need an AKA.

If you feel she needs an AKA but NBI is being difficult, print out the embassies pre-interview checklist and go point at page two and tell them "the US Embassy told me I'm required to get a NBI Clearance with an AKA"https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/iv-dv-supplemental/MNL - Manila - Philippines_11JUL2022.pdf

Wife and Stepdaughter                                                                            

• December 17, 2020:  Married in Costa Rica
  • March 08, 2021: Filed l-130s Online
  • March 09, 2021: NOA1
  • April 26, 2021: NOA2, I-130s Approved
  • April 30, 2021: NVC Received
  • May 01, 2021: Pay AOS and IV Bills
  • May 06, 2021: Submit AOS, Financial Docs and DS-260s
  • May 14, 2021: Submit Civil Docs for Stepdaughter
  • May 21, 2021: Submit Civil Docs for Wife
  • June 25, 2021: NVC review for Stepdaughter, RFE submit additional Doc
  • July 08, 2021: Wife Documentarily Qualified by NVC
  • August 31, 2021: Stepdaughter Documentarily Qualified by NVC
  • September 15, 2021: Received Interview Date from NVC, October 05, 2021
  • September 22, 2021: Passed physicals at Saint Luke's Extension Clinic
  • October 05, 2021: Interview at US Embassy Manila. Verbally approved by US Consul. Positive interview experience.
  • October 05, 2021: CEAC status changed to "Issued"
  • October 07, 2021: Passports tracking for delivery on 2GO Courier website
  • October 08, 2021: Passports with visas delivered.  "Visas on hand"
  • October 08, 2021: Paid Immigrant Fee
  • October 12, 2021: Temporary CFO Certificates Received
  • October 26, 2021 POE arrival at LAX
  • November 02, 2021 Social Security Cards arrive in mail
  • January 31, 2022: USCIS Status changed to "Card Is Being Produced"
  • February 04, 2022: USCIS Status changed to "Card Was Mailed To Me"
  • February 07, 2022: Green cards received. 

On 7/11/2023 at 12:04 PM, aaroncv3 said:

Congrats, guys.  Less than 24 hours and we hope to post a similar report.

Report:  my wife had her interview July 12.  During her interview, I waited for outside the embassy. 

(We actually scouted the area the night before.  We encountered a Filipino gate guard.  My wife asked if I would be able to enter the Embassy with her for her visa interview.  The guard told her, "Yes, he just needs to bring his passport."  However, on they day of the interview, the guards said "applicants only".  If you are the American and plan to accompany your Filipino spouse to the Embassy in Manila, you might as well keep your phone/watch/etc on your person, rather than leaving it behind.)

My wife said the staff was quite stone-faced, except for the fingerprint and photo staff.  She understands that it takes a certain kind of person to do that job, and so she didn't take it personal.

Based on what my wife said, the questions they focused on the most were exactly the items which were the "Case FE review note" before we were DQ.

They were:

*  I-864 (AOS).  My income is 100% VA service-connected, which, while exceeding the requirements, is tax-exempt.  She provided the documents clarifying this.  (Actually, because she was nervous, she mistakenly handed them my DD-214 instead of my VA Verification of Benefits letter.  She said that seemed to be okay for them.)

*  Marriage termination documents.  They wanted to see the original / certified copy of my marriage termination documents.

I did not bring those to the Philippines with me.  They are in a filling cabinet at our home in the US.

In the absence of those documents, they refused the visa.

Although we were sad at first, we realized that, based on the instructions they provided, we don't need to make another trip to Manila.  We just need to send the requested documents.

I can have those documents sent via DHL to our address in the Philippines, then send them via LBC to Manila along with her passport.  They will be returned via LBC just as a regularly-approved visa, attached to the passport.

I estimate we're looking at a delay of maybe 2 or 3 weeks. A drop in the bucket, in the grand scheme of things.

If the visa was going to be outright denied, they would just do that without requesting those documents.

So, after feeling bad about it for a few hours, we realized it isn't hard to fix, and it was a good reminder to me that God is in control, despite how urgent my expectations are.

Here's another observation, perhaps useful to some:  while I waited outside the gate, I saw a young woman get refused entry because she was dressed inappropriately (low-cut top, booty shorts).  Filipinas, wear your business dress or Sunday best.  Dress like it is a job interview.  I thought this was obvious. 🤣 Guess not.

Edited by aaroncv3
Grammar

48 minutes ago, aaroncv3 said:

while I waited outside the gate, I saw a young woman get refused entry because she was dressed inappropriately (low-cut top, booty shorts).  Filipinas, wear your business dress or Sunday best.  Dress like it is a job interview.  I thought this was obvious. 🤣 Guess not.

Though I cannot confirm by my own witness, I suppose this also applies to Filipino men: don't wear your crop-tops and booty shorts to the US Embassy expecting to be admitted.

I know it's a brave new world and all, so here is my inclusivity. 🤡🌎

Edited by aaroncv3

7 hours ago, aaroncv3 said:

I can have those documents sent via DHL to our address in the Philippines, then send them via LBC to Manila along with her passport.  They will be returned via LBC just as a regularly-approved visa, attached to the passport.

Depending where they are in the US, LBC has a number of US locations as well.  For sending documents from San Diego recently DHL quoted us like $160.  LBC was $12 and delivered from San Diego to Pampanga in 4 days with tracking.

7 hours ago, aaroncv3 said:

Here's another observation, perhaps useful to some:  while I waited outside the gate, I saw a young woman get refused entry because she was dressed inappropriately (low-cut top, booty shorts).  Filipinas, wear your business dress or Sunday best.  Dress like it is a job interview.  I thought this was obvious. 🤣 Guess not.

She should have known better.  All Philippine government offices are notoriously strict about dress codes so it's generally an ingrained part of the national culture that you dress respectably whenever going to ANY government office.

Wife and Stepdaughter                                                                            

• October 05, 2021: Interview at US Embassy Manila. Verbally approved by US Consul. Positive interview experience.

On 7/12/2023 at 4:02 AM, Evan757 said:

Don't worry about this, as long as your surname is listed under "Husband's Surname" on your wife's NBI clearance and her marital status is listed as "Married".  No need for AKA field if the only names your wife ever used on her civil documents are her maiden name and her current married name.  It was the same for me -- NBI also removed the AKA field on my clearance.  Got approved for IR1 visa just fine.  No questions asked by the consulate staff about my NBI clearance without AKA.

On 7/1/2023 at 10:03 PM, top_secret said:

The "interview letter" comes as the result of scheduling an appointment and it comes instantly when someone does.  It is required to get in the embassy on interview day.  Some people are confusing that with a "welcome letter" inviting them to schedule.  It says wait for the welcome letter but there is nowhere ever that it is checked or needed.

There are allot of folks from the January group who finished their cases, got their visas are happily sitting in the US for months already but STILL have not received their welcome letter to this day.

Hah, we just got the email 10 minutes ago. Interview is already scheduled for Tuesday, so it just means that we're definitely good for it. Excited! 

On 7/13/2023 at 12:28 AM, aaroncv3 said:

Report:  my wife had her interview July 12.

*  Marriage termination documents.  They wanted to see the original / certified copy of my marriage termination documents.

I did not bring those to the Philippines with me.  They are in a filling cabinet at our home in the US.

In the absence of those documents, they refused the visa.

I estimate we're looking at a delay of maybe 2 or 3 weeks. A drop in the bucket, in the grand scheme of things.

So, after feeling bad about it for a few hours, we realized it isn't hard to fix, and it was a good reminder to me that God is in control, despite how urgent my expectations are.

Status update:

The necessary documents were not in the filing cabinet at home, so I had to submit a request for the certified documents from the respective agencies. 

Both agencies are in receipt of my request.

My guestimate for the necessary documents to be here in the Philippines is August 1 via DHL.

On 7/13/2023 at 8:12 AM, top_secret said:

Depending where they are in the US, LBC has a number of US locations as well.  For sending documents from San Diego recently DHL quoted us like $160.  LBC was $12 and delivered from San Diego to Pampanga in 4 days with tracking.

Unfortunately, LBC was not a practical choice in our case.

We're still optimistic.  At this point, the hold-up may be in getting CFO clearance.  My wife reports uncertainty about honoring scheduled online appointments.

1 minute ago, Evan757 said:

Our interview is in a couple hours. Is there any way I can go into the embassy with her?

Nope.

June 25, 2022 - Married
June 28, 2022 - I-130 filed digitally

June 28, 2022 - NOA1 (Nebraska -> Vermont xfer)

June 8, 2023 - NOA2 (Vermont -> California xfer)
June 14, 2023 - At NVC

July 3, 2023 - NVC RFE

July 17, 2023 - NVC DQ

April 15, 2024 - IL

April 19, 2024 - Medical

May 23, 2024 - Interview

June 4, 2024 - CFO 
June 30, 2024 - Flight to US

11 minutes ago, Evan757 said:

Our interview is in a couple hours. Is there any way I can go into the embassy with her?

Report:  my wife had her interview July 12.  During her interview, I waited for outside the embassy. 

(We actually scouted the area the night before.  We encountered a Filipino gate guard.  My wife asked if I would be able to enter the Embassy with her for her visa interview.  The guard told her, "Yes, he just needs to bring his passport."  However, on they day of the interview, the guards said "applicants only".  If you are the American and plan to accompany your Filipino spouse to the Embassy in Manila, you might as well keep your phone/watch/etc on your person, rather than leaving it behind.)

You can go stand outside and wait like the other good American husbands did.  🤣

Some good chats to be had out there.

Just stay near the embassy.  When she's done  she come out near the same place she entered.

Or there are some American restaurants near by.

I opted to just wait near the place where we were separated.

(I'm suggesting to stay near the embassy because the guards will prevent the beggars and squatters from hassling you.)

Edited by aaroncv3

7 minutes ago, aaroncv3 said:

You can go stand outside and wait like the other good American husbands did.  🤣

They need a designated phone holder.🤣😂

Edited by top_secret

Wife and Stepdaughter                                                                            

7 minutes ago, top_secret said:

You mean a sacrificial American husband designated to hold all the Filipina phones so the rest of us can just wait in the aircon?  1 2 3 not it

17 minutes ago, top_secret said:

Literally all I'm gonna do on our interview day.  We truly are the most useful people.  :jest:

June 25, 2022 - Married
June 28, 2022 - I-130 filed digitally

June 28, 2022 - NOA1 (Nebraska -> Vermont xfer)

June 8, 2023 - NOA2 (Vermont -> California xfer)
June 14, 2023 - At NVC

July 3, 2023 - NVC RFE

July 17, 2023 - NVC DQ

April 15, 2024 - IL

April 19, 2024 - Medical

May 23, 2024 - Interview

June 4, 2024 - CFO 
June 30, 2024 - Flight to US

1 minute ago, NeonParticles said:

Literally all I'm gonna do on our interview day.  We truly are the most useful people.  :jest:

It's the small things. 😂

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.