Dashinka

Refrigerators, Ice, etc. [split topic]

83 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
4 hours ago, laylalex said:

Actually he's been at a Super Bowl party in Porter Ranch since about 3, so no. I've been busy going cross-eyed looking at fridges on Consumer Reports while he's been out. 

I think I am officially middle-aged now based on that last statement. 

Don’t buy a Samsung.

https://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/781335-completely-off-topic-perfect-for-this-forum/

3 hours ago, laylalex said:

Trust me, it is me who wants the more economical fridge choice, but it is pure projection: "If my wife wants a refrigerator that makes craft ice* for whisky and has a screen in the door to look in at food and a strange little snack door which makes reaching the snacks she** likes happen more quickly, she should have this."

*Those large-ish ice globes of very clear ice

**Read: he likes

Why does whisky need craft ice?

Edited by Dashinka

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

10 hours ago, laylalex said:

Actually he's been at a Super Bowl party in Porter Ranch since about 3, so no. I've been busy going cross-eyed looking at fridges on Consumer Reports while he's been out. 

I think I am officially middle-aged now based on that last statement. 

Stay away from Samsung 

I got a free standing under counter model ice maker. Makes wonderful clear ice.  It's been plugging away over 25 years. Whirlpool 

Edited by Nature Boy 2.0

Timeline
45 minutes ago, Ban Hammer said:

just like a car, the more gadgets it has, the more problems you will have.  
i have a 21 year old fridge, washer, and dryer.  just the basic ones, nothing special on any of them.  and they still work.
might be an idea to apply this method of getting something without fancy gadgets to marriage.............

In my old Fire Department, they are still using an International Harvester from the 1950's with no issues being over 70 years old.  No craft ice, but you can get shaved ice from the small freezer compartment.

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Timeline
9 hours ago, Dashinka said:

Don’t buy a Samsung.

I'll second that.  The one fridge that we bought that was expensive AND rated #1 by consumer reports was the Samsung and it died shortly after the warranty finished.  

3 hours ago, Ban Hammer said:

just like a car, the more gadgets it has, the more problems you will have.  

Yes.  My 1964 Corvair is almost never a problem, and when there is an issue it is easily fixed with a wrench and a hammer.

If at first you don't succeed, then sky diving is not for you.

Someone stole my dictionary. Now I am at a loss for words.

If Apple made a car, would it have windows?

Ban shredded cheese. Make America Grate Again .

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Deport him and you never have to feed him again.

I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.

I went bald but I kept my comb.  I just couldn't part with it.

My name is not Richard Edward but my friends still call me DickEd

If your pet has a bladder infection, urine trouble.

"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow."

I fired myself from cleaning the house. I didn't like my attitude and I got caught drinking on the job.

My kid has A.D.D... and a couple of F's

Carrots improve your vision.  Alcohol doubles it.

A dung beetle walks into a bar and asks " Is this stool taken?"

Breaking news.  They're not making yardsticks any longer.

Hemorrhoids?  Shouldn't they be called Assteroids?

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.

If you suck at playing the trumpet, that may be why.

Dogs can't take MRI's but Cat scan.

2 hours ago, Neonred said:

I'll second that.  The one fridge that we bought that was expensive AND rated #1 by consumer reports was the Samsung and it died shortly after the warranty finished.  

Yes.  My 1964 Corvair is almost never a problem, and when there is an issue it is easily fixed with a wrench and a hammer.

There are whole FB groups dedicated to all the Samsung issues.  Our icemaker bit the dust shortly after the warranty. The fix was over 1k

Timeline
15 hours ago, laylalex said:

Trust me, it is me who wants the more economical fridge choice, but it is pure projection: "If my wife wants a refrigerator that makes craft ice* for whisky and has a screen in the door to look in at food and a strange little snack door which makes reaching the snacks she** likes happen more quickly, she should have this."

*Those large-ish ice globes of very clear ice

**Read: he likes

Avoid Samsung.  They have sadly gone WAY downhill in quality.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08L7PJK9M/

For beautiful, clear ice balls.  He will cherish you.

Timeline
11 minutes ago, LIBrty4all said:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08L7PJK9M/

For beautiful, clear ice balls.  He will cherish you.

Wow, do you have one of these?

I'm impressed.

No wonder my wife calls me a red neck.  I just use the square cubes from the (now Whirlpool) ice maker.

If at first you don't succeed, then sky diving is not for you.

Someone stole my dictionary. Now I am at a loss for words.

If Apple made a car, would it have windows?

Ban shredded cheese. Make America Grate Again .

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Deport him and you never have to feed him again.

I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.

I went bald but I kept my comb.  I just couldn't part with it.

My name is not Richard Edward but my friends still call me DickEd

If your pet has a bladder infection, urine trouble.

"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow."

I fired myself from cleaning the house. I didn't like my attitude and I got caught drinking on the job.

My kid has A.D.D... and a couple of F's

Carrots improve your vision.  Alcohol doubles it.

A dung beetle walks into a bar and asks " Is this stool taken?"

Breaking news.  They're not making yardsticks any longer.

Hemorrhoids?  Shouldn't they be called Assteroids?

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.

If you suck at playing the trumpet, that may be why.

Dogs can't take MRI's but Cat scan.

Timeline
8 minutes ago, Neonred said:

Wow, do you have one of these?

I'm impressed.

No wonder my wife calls me a red neck.  I just use the square cubes from the (now Whirlpool) ice maker.

Why yes, I do.  Makes splendiferous ice!!  Slower to melt, and beeyootiful to look at while sipping.

Edited by LIBrty4all

I took the earlier advice about Samsungs and we went into the buying process with the mindset that we wouldn't even look at one. The craft ice thing is fun and kinda bougie to have in a fridge, but I don't see it's necessary. I tend to be a little bit more frugal than my husband is, which I've known about for years, even before we got married. I feel like a perpetual buzzkill -- why do you need an 85" television? Why do we need three sets of dinnerware when we already have two new ones? Why do I need craft ice made by the freezer itself? Does my stove need to communicate with my phone?

Some single malts definitely benefit from a drop or two (or more) of water, in my opinion. Not all, and I don't claim to be a connoisseur. I just know what I like, and I like how some open up a little with a bit. 

Uhhhh, so UFOs, right??? :lol: 

1 hour ago, LIBrty4all said:

Is it really clear ice though?  

You have seen it. What you think.

Timeline
1 hour ago, Nature Boy 2.0 said:

You have seen it. What you think.

Regular ice cubes that melt quickly.

I know you're not a drinker, but when people talk about "clear ice", they typically are referring to this:

th?id=OIP.pSV9SsGjW8BEB6EyrF03fAHaGH%26p

clear-ice-final-1000x1250.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

Uber clear, no white bubbles, and last longer.

Timeline
2 hours ago, laylalex said:

I took the earlier advice about Samsungs and we went into the buying process with the mindset that we wouldn't even look at one. The craft ice thing is fun and kinda bougie to have in a fridge, but I don't see it's necessary. I tend to be a little bit more frugal than my husband is, which I've known about for years, even before we got married. I feel like a perpetual buzzkill -- why do you need an 85" television? Why do we need three sets of dinnerware when we already have two new ones? Why do I need craft ice made by the freezer itself? Does my stove need to communicate with my phone?

Some single malts definitely benefit from a drop or two (or more) of water, in my opinion. Not all, and I don't claim to be a connoisseur. I just know what I like, and I like how some open up a little with a bit. 

Uhhhh, so UFOs, right??? :lol: 

So on another forum I habit, there was a recent fridge thread, so I went back thru 5 pages of posts to see what was recommended.  LG & Samsung responses were mixed, roughly 50/50 loved/hated them.  Subzero got honorable mention (but pricey), Bosch seemed to fare well anecdotally, but the OP ended up buying the Samsung Bespoke.   GE profile seemed to do well also.

Sorry I can't really nail it down any better for you.  I haven't bought a fridge in over 25 years.

Also, please report yourself for taking this thread off topic.  Normally doesn't happen here in CEHST...

Edited by LIBrty4all

44 minutes ago, LIBrty4all said:

Regular ice cubes that melt quickly.

I know you're not a drinker, but when people talk about "clear ice", they typically are referring to this:

th?id=OIP.pSV9SsGjW8BEB6EyrF03fAHaGH%26p

clear-ice-final-1000x1250.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

Uber clear, no white bubbles, and last longer.

I guess my ice does have some opacity to it but less than standard freezer ice maker ice. Definitely not that clear. I do drink on rare occasions but these days the next day is not worth it.