shefuk1

Entering US 2 weeks before CR1 visa expires

26 posts in this topic

I have my CR1 visa interview next month. Planning ahead, I am thinking about entering the US just two weeks before the CR1 visa expires so it would convert to an IR1 (ie entering 5 months, 2 weeks after my medical, so in August) .

Has anyone had similar experiences please? Did you encounter any problems at the PoE? Would you recommend this?

Thanks

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

Will you be married for 2 years or longer on the day you enter the US?  As long as you enter on or before the visa expiration date, you will be fine to enter.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Just now, Crazy Cat said:

Will you be married for 2 years or longer on the day you enter the US?  As long as you enter on or before the visa expiration date, you will be fine to enter.

Yes, it will be 2 years + 1 day.

I just wondered with it being so close to the visa expiry date whether this would cause me issues. Thank you

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
Just now, shefuk1 said:

Yes, it will be 2 years + 1 day.

I just wondered with it being so close to the visa expiry date whether this would cause me issues. Thank you

I would mention to the CBP officer that "I'm entering after 2 years of marriage.  I should get a 10 year Green Card".  You could enter on the date of visa expiration, and it wouldn't cause a problem.  Good Luck!! 

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

25 minutes ago, shefuk1 said:

Has anyone had similar experiences please? Did you encounter any problems at the PoE? Would you recommend this?

This VJ member entered the US on the day of her CR1 visa expiry --

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

As stated in the cited thread, leaving on THE last day of visa validity can be risky if your flights are delayed.  A 2-week cushion is fine.  It will save you time and money to get an IR-1 designation.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: IR-5 Country: Indonesia
Timeline

Your plans include the possibility that the embassy may not immediately issue a visa, right?

Allow for the possibility that Administrative Processing may delay your visa.

Regards,

Vicky's Mom

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

I would not enter 1 day after anniversary. I'll move it 3 days. 

USCIS systems doesn't respect timezones. 

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

In regards to the expiration date, we entered the day before it expired. 😂

Granted, it was a K1 but still the same idea applies. No issues at all!

I definitely recommend waiting until it converts to an IR1. ROC isn't too fun.

Edited by Sarah&Facundo

11 hours ago, Timona said:

I would not enter 1 day after anniversary. I'll move it 3 days. 

USCIS systems doesn't respect timezones. 

I agree with that. I'd hate to go through all that trouble just for uscis to give you a 2 year card because of a technicality like timezones. Just like you should always wait until a day or two after you can apply for ROC or citizenship

13 hours ago, Vickys_Mom said:

Your plans include the possibility that the embassy may not immediately issue a visa, right?

Allow for the possibility that Administrative Processing may delay your visa.

Regards,

Vicky's Mom

I think it's unlikely for us and our circumstances, but I'll never say never. Also our US Embassy historically doesn't have the AP black-hole like some do. A delay of up to 5 months however won't be a problem; the average is 1 week here I have read on VJ

9 minutes ago, Noname93 said:

I agree with that. I'd hate to go through all that trouble just for uscis to give you a 2 year card because of a technicality like timezones. Just like you should always wait until a day or two after you can apply for ROC or citizenship

Thanks, but I'm confused why timezones make a difference? Please could you elaborate? We got married on the 19th July (it was the 19th July in the US too) and are planning to leave our country on the 20th July (+ 2 years) and enter the US on the evening of 20th July. That's clearly a day after?

Edited by shefuk1

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
3 hours ago, shefuk1 said:

I think it's unlikely for us and our circumstances, but I'll never say never. Also our US Embassy historically doesn't have the AP black-hole like some do. A delay of up to 5 months however won't be a problem; the average is 1 week here I have read on VJ

Thanks, but I'm confused why timezones make a difference? Please could you elaborate? We got married on the 19th July (it was the 19th July in the US too) and are planning to leave our country on the 20th July (+ 2 years) and enter the US on the evening of 20th July. That's clearly a day after?

In general, USCIS IT systems seem to have issues with timezones.  This has come up with people filing the N400 form online almost immediately after their 90 day filing window opened (i.e. 12:01 am), and found out at the interview that USCIS thought they applied 1 day to early.  The recommendation by @Timona and @Noname93 are related to the potential that some system within USCIS will show you entered a day before your CR1 would convert to an IR1, so it is best to give it a couple day cushion especially since you are dealing with CBP and USCIS systems needing to talk to each other properly.

Regardless, your plan is sound and as others have said, it is a good idea to avoid the I751 if it is possible particularly since the fees are scheduled to increase significantly on that form in the near future.  With a 2 week cushion, you should be fine, but consider waiting another day or two after your 2 yr wedding anniversary..

Good Luck!

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

18 hours ago, shefuk1 said:

I have my CR1 visa interview next month. Planning ahead, I am thinking about entering the US just two weeks before the CR1 visa expires so it would convert to an IR1 (ie entering 5 months, 2 weeks after my medical, so in August) .

Thanks

We entered about two days before a visa expired.  They dont care.  In our case we were waiting for the end of the school year. 
As others have said, suggest to give yourself a couple extra days after the anniversary.  What you want to do is smart, ROC is tedious. 
I would never suggest waiting until the last day.  One delayed layover would really create an issue.  Paperwork you really dont need.

Edited by iwannaplay54

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.