CebuGuy

Certificate of Naturalization Issue & 2022 Tax Returns

5 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

So long story short we finally have our K-1 interview in Manila coming up in about a month and my Fiancée (the Beneficiary) is freaking out about certain issues. How serious are these issues and should I be worried?

1. I was born in a different country and was naturalized when I was just a beansprout when my father became a US Citizen. I gave a copy of my Certificate of Naturalization to my Fiancée as a supporting document and there's nothing wrong with the Certificate except for one thing: it was signed wrong. For whatever reason back then my father was confused and signed my Certificate with my brother's name. It was never corrected. Should I be worried if the interviewer sees it and starts asking my Fiancée questions? My Fiancée is freaking out about a 221(g) and it will take an extremely long time to get it fixed. I was always under the impression that my passport was enough to prove Citizenship. It is too late for me to correct it as it can take 6+ months from what I understand.

2. I'm trying to file my 2022 taxes soon for the I-134 support but it's a possibility that the IRS won't be able to have my tax transcripts available before the interview date which is in the first week of March 2023. Given that it happens, would it be an issue? I gave her my 2021 and 2020 tax transcripts already and can give her my 2019 one. Past 3 years should be good right? I'm under the impression that it shouldn't be an issue because it's kinda early in tax season. This is the earliest I will have filed my taxes.

Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.

15 minutes ago, CebuGuy said:

How serious are these issues and should I be worried?

1.  Print-out of a scan of your US passport bio page will be enough, and is unlikely to be requested anyway.  No need to even bring up your naturalization unless the interviewing officer asks.

2.  Bring 2021 tax return transcript + a recent pay stub (if petitioner is an employee).  2022 tax filing will only be required if the visa interview is after April 18, 2023.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
3 hours ago, CebuGuy said:

1. I was born in a different country and was naturalized when I was just a beansprout when my father became a US Citizen. I gave a copy of my Certificate of Naturalization to my Fiancée

Did you really get a certificate of naturalization or was it a certificate of citizenship?

If the former, the. Assuming bean sprout means < 18 years old  that is unusual and it will raise more questions. So I would not submit that regardless. 

If your U.S.  passport issue date is prior to the I-129F filing date, a passport should suffice. DoS issued the passport and so it should not need your primary proof of citizenship since it has a copy of that in its records. 

Meanwhile I would file to get a corrected or original certificate of citizenship so that when I-485 comes up, you are prepared if the ISO insists on that versus your U.S. passport.  Worst case you give the ISO your NOA1 from your filing of  N-565 or N-600 as applicable.  

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
3 hours ago, Mike E said:

Did you really get a certificate of naturalization or was it a certificate of citizenship?

If the former, the. Assuming bean sprout means < 18 years old  that is unusual and it will raise more questions. So I would not submit that regardless. 

If your U.S.  passport issue date is prior to the I-129F filing date, a passport should suffice. DoS issued the passport and so it should not need your primary proof of citizenship since it has a copy of that in its records. 

Meanwhile I would file to get a corrected or original certificate of citizenship so that when I-485 comes up, you are prepared if the ISO insists on that versus your U.S. passport.  Worst case you give the ISO your NOA1 from your filing of  N-565 or N-600 as applicable.  

Hi Mike, 

Yes, you're a correct about it being the Certificate of Citizenship. I mixed it up with the one for Naturalization.

The consensus seems to be that taxes and the certificate won't be an issue for the interview. I'll follow your advice about filing for a Certificate of Citizenship replacement as I don't want to leave anything to chance later.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.