Kyle6811

Question on i130 required evidence

57 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline
21 minutes ago, Mike E said:

Chase didn’t require my fiancée to have have an SSN when I added her.  This varies by bank. 

It’s going to be a challenging I-751 if you manage to get I-130 and CR-1 approved. Hopefully you are married more than 2 years when the spouse enters with an immigration visa.  N-400 based on the 3 years rule will also be a challenge. 

No marriage is actually required to have anything other than a marriage certificate.  However each case is subjectively weighed. And you can find two exact cases where the only difference was the ISO or CO and one got accepted and the other got rejected.  

1.  you don’t have to actually give each other the authorized user credit card.  Put it in a drawer or shred it. 

2. depending on the state of residence each spouse’s debt is the others. 

Likewise. Like powerpuff I am out. You’ve got the thread to yourself.  

We will share a bank account once we live together for bills, but as @powerpuff said, can’t share anything really while living two separate lives. No idea why you’re referencing 751.. or n400 and no idea what iso or co is. But maybe if you stopped acting like you were born with all this knowledge you might actually help someone instead of treating them like an idiot. I’m asking questions preparing to submit our forms. Thanks for your input.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
10 hours ago, pushbrk said:

Please read the two sentences before what you quoted above, for context, then focus on "Any other...." like evidence of time spent together in person.  (Passport stamps, boarding passes, receipts, photos together

Evidence of time spent together, in person, is the best way to show that the marital relationship is bona fide.  This is an attempt by USCIS to weed out fraudulent marriages.  Send a few photos of the wedding, with the couple, with family, etc., also photos from other trips together, include original boarding passes from your trips, hotel receipts, passport stamps showing entry and exit dates.  Financial co-mingling is helpful, but not required, as it is difficult while living in separate countries but not entirely impossible as others have recommended ways to do this.  Affidavits, if sent, are simple statements from people who know you as a couple, who attended your marriage, etc., signed "under penalty of perjury."  Affidavits are the weakest evidence because they can easily be fake.  Good luck!

Edited by carmel34

Timeline
1 minute ago, carmel34 said:

Evidence of time spent together, in person, is the best way to show that the marital relationship is bona fide.  This is an attempt by USCIS to weed out fraudulent marriages.  Send a few photos of the wedding, with the couple, with family, etc., also photos from other trips together, include original boarding passes from your trips, hotel receipts, passport stamps showing entry and exit dates.  Financial co-mingling is helpful, but not required, as it is difficult while living in separate countries but not entirely impossible as others have recommended ways to do this.  Affidavits, if sent, are simple statements from people who know you as a couple, who attended your marriage, etc., signed "under penalty of perjury."  Affidavits are the weakest evidence because they can easily be fake.  Good luck!

Thank you @carmel34 most helpful!

3 hours ago, Kyle6811 said:

We will share a bank account once we live together for bills, but as @powerpuff said, can’t share anything really while living two separate lives. No idea why you’re referencing 751.. or n400 and no idea what iso or co is. But maybe if you stopped acting like you were born with all this knowledge you might actually help someone instead of treating them like an idiot. I’m asking questions preparing to submit our forms. Thanks for your input.

If the person got 2 years Greencard which is conditional ( before 2 years marriage anniversary ) in the future you will need to remove the condition the GC by filing I-751 instead of renew the green card. 

N-400 if the person decide to file for citizenship/naturalization in the future

ISO / CO = immigration officer who handle the case

Edited by Misscloud

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
4 hours ago, Kyle6811 said:

Us govt: what proof do you have that you’re really married?

Petitioner: well here’s our marriage license that seems to be working for 50 states..

Us govt : sorry .. hey got any pics!? 

Your marriage certificate and evidence of time spent together are your best bets.  You are overthinking this.  

PAY ATTENTION TO @pushbrk !  He has been doing this for a long time.  He knows his stuff forwards and backwards!!!

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline
32 minutes ago, Crazy Cat said:

Your marriage certificate and evidence of time spent together are your best bets.  You are overthinking this.  

PAY ATTENTION TO @pushbrk !  He has been doing this for a long time.  He knows his stuff forwards and backwards!!!

Thanks @Crazy Cat I just wanted to be sure we were all talking about the same thing since the 129 specifically says this.

Get wills/living wills.

Add each other as beneficiaries on financial accounts (savings,401k, Roth IRA, etc.), and insurance  (life, health).

Spend as much time together as feasible, and document your visits to each other.

Edited by Lemonslice

Timeline
22 minutes ago, Lemonslice said:

Get wills/living wills.

Add each other as beneficiaries on financial accounts (savings,401k, Roth IRA, etc.), and insurance  (life, health).

Thank you this is very helpful!

13 minutes ago, Kyle6811 said:

Thank you this is very helpful!

I just want to add that you have to find a way to follow the requirements that works for your family.   It's not the "system" against you to, but a somewhat standardized way to check boxes and go through the process.  Don't lose energy fighting, be creative.

For example, you're all set against getting a credit card for your spouse, but you could...

1. Get a new card for you two, with a low limit to be used in case of emergency. I mean, if you don't trust her with $500, that's going to be a bigger problem than her immigration journey.

2. Get her a user card from your current credit card, send a photocopy of it as supporting evidence/keep it home until her arrival.

Like you, I thought it was ridiculous to have to do things their way, but then it's still easier to find ways to comply, than to fight windmills.  Married 14 years, and I'm sure strangers would raise eyebrows at how we do things, but it works for us.  USCIS saw what they wanted to see, so no delay, no RFEs.  

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
10 hours ago, Kyle6811 said:

You mean like on the site under required documents it doesn’t state:

Checklist of Required Initial Evidence (for informational purposes only)

Please do not submit this checklist with your Form I-130 (and Form I-130A, if required). It is an optional tool to use as you prepare your form, but does not replace statutory, regulatory, and form instruction requirements. We recommend that you review these requirements before completing and submitting your form. Do not send original documents unless specifically requested in the form instructions or applicable regulations.

If you submit any documents (copies or original documents, if requested) in a foreign language, you must include a full English translation along with a certification from the translator verifying that the translation is complete and accurate, and that they are competent to translate from the foreign language to English.

Did you provide the following?

• Evidence of U.S. citizenship, lawful permanent residence, or U.S. national status:
    • A copy of your birth certificate, issued by a civil registrar, vital statistics office, or other civil authority showing you were born in the United States; 
    • A copy of your naturalization or citizenship certificate issued by USCIS or the former Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS); 
    • A copy of Form FS-240, Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA), issued by a U.S. Embassy or U.S. Consulate; 
    •  A copy of your unexpired U.S. passport; 
    • An original statement from a U.S. consular officer verifying you are a U.S. citizen with a valid passport; or
    • A copy of the front and back of your Permanent Resident Card (also known as a Green Card or a Form I-551).
  • Evidence of family relationship with 1 of the following (see form instructions for more detailed guidance):
    • Spouse: A copy of your marriage certificate
      • Evidence you or your spouse terminated any prior marriages (if applicable)
    • Child: A copy of your child’s birth certificate(s).
    • Parent: A copy of your birth certificate.
    • Brother/Sister: A copy of the birth certificate for you and your sibling.
  • Evidence of the bona fides of the marriage, if petitioning for a spouse:
    • Documentation showing joint ownership of property;
    • A lease showing joint tenancy of a common residence, meaning you both live at the same address together;
    • Documentation showing that you and your spouse have combined your financial resources;
    • Birth certificates of children born to you and your spouse together;
    • Affidavits sworn to or affirmed by third parties having personal knowledge of the bona fides of the marital relationship. Each affidavit must contain the full name and address of the person making the affidavit; date and place of birth of the person making the affidavit; and complete information and details explaining how the person acquired their knowledge of your marriage; and
    •  Any other relevant documentation to establish that there is an ongoing marital union.
  • Proof of legal name change (if applicable); and 
  • 2 passport-style photographs (if applicable).

No.  I mean exactly what I said.  The two sentences above the list of evidence of the bona fides..... but I mean the original list from the I-130 instructions where it says...."NOTE: In addition to the required documentation listed above, you should submit one or more of the
following types of documentation that may prove you have a bona fide marriage:"

You need to understand that any list of items that follows the words "in addition to the required" would not be required.  Not also the word "should" and the words "one or more".

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline
9 hours ago, powerpuff said:

What he’s trying to say is that affidavits are not required and there’s much better, more quality evidence such as time spent together, vacations etc. Anybody (stranger  in the street) can write an affidavit saying you have a real marriage. It is not quality evidence as it’s easily fabricated and doesn’t hold value. That’s what @pushbrk was trying to say. 

Well yes, that's part of what I was trying to say but I made it very clear moments ago in a follow-up post.  This is why I type so very often about becoming an A-Student of the form instructions.  

Edited by pushbrk

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline
10 hours ago, Kyle6811 said:

I think you’re thinking of the statement for the fiancé visa that includes this. We are applying for the spousal visa.

I'm thinking of the actual I-130 instructions.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.