Usaph

Naturalization interview scheduled 1 week before international travel

16 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

As excited as we are to have a naturalization appointment scheduled in April, we are leaving on a trip to the Philippines very shortly after. We weren't expecting the turnaround to be so quick so we thought it would be after. Now it puts us in a dilemma.

From what it looks like, as a US citizen they will not accept a foreign passport when entering and leaving the US, correct?

Turnaround time for a US passport in that short of a timeframe seems impossible.

Can we ask for a delay of the naturalization appointment due to this?

Otherwise it's going to cost thousands of dollars to reschedule this trip.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline

Attend the appointment. Decline same day oath.  Inform ISO of your travel plans. Don’t miss the second oath appointment. You only get two chances. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
11 minutes ago, Usaph said:

As excited as we are to have a naturalization appointment scheduled in April, we are leaving on a trip to the Philippines very shortly after. We weren't expecting the turnaround to be so quick so we thought it would be after. Now it puts us in a dilemma.

From what it looks like, as a US citizen they will not accept a foreign passport when entering and leaving the US, correct?

Turnaround time for a US passport in that short of a timeframe seems impossible.

Can we ask for a delay of the naturalization appointment due to this?

Otherwise it's going to cost thousands of dollars to reschedule this trip.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

If you are offered a same day oath ceremony you can get your passport in time if you can work the logistics 

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/get-fast.html

you can get a passport for emergency travel. It requires an in person visit to a passport office .. my closest one was 5 hrs drive each way.. and some careful timing in booking an appt .. appt xan only be made via phone no more than 10 business days prior to the travel date 

10 business days before your travel, call the number on the link above and get an appt at the passport office. Have your booking details in hand as you will be asked for the record locator 

Attend the oath ceremony and receive your certificate. 

Fill out and print the passport application. Consider applying for a passport card also. Get your photos printed. Gather any other documents required .. birth certificate, marriage certificate etc  .. and photocopy your naturalization certificate.  ( several good quality copies)!

Attend the passport office appt.. hang around for 2-5 hrs .. return to the office and pick up your passport and naturalization  certificate 

return home

breathe 

pack 

enjoy !!! 

Edited by Lil bear

Timeline
9 minutes ago, Mike E said:

Attend the appointment. Decline same day oath.  Inform ISO of your travel plans. Don’t miss the second oath appointment. You only get two chances.

Thanks. Any idea when the second oath is after the first? As this will be a month long trip.

Timeline
8 minutes ago, Lil bear said:

If you are offered a same day oath ceremony you can get your passport in time if you can work the logistics 

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/get-fast.html

you can get a passport for emergency travel. It requires an in person visit to a passport office .. my closest one was 5 hrs drive each way.. and some careful timing in booking an appt .. appt xan only be made via phone no more than 10 business days prior to the travel date 

10 business days before your travel, call the number on the link above and get an appt at the passport office. Have your booking details in hand as you will be asked for the record locator 

Attend the oath ceremony and receive your certificate. 

Fill out and print the passport application. Consider applying for a passport card also. Get your photos printed. Gather any other documents required .. birth certificate, marriage certificate etc  .. and photocopy your naturalization certificate.  ( several good quality copies)!

Attend the passport office appt.. hang around for 2-5 hrs .. return to the office and pick up your passport and naturalization  certificate 

return home

breathe 

pack 

enjoy !!! 

Wow that sounds intense but maybe possible. Nearest for me is 4 hours so not too bad. I'll try calling them on Monday. Thanks!

Timeline
19 minutes ago, Usaph said:

Thanks. Any idea when the second oath is after the first? As this will be a month long trip.

I don’t know for sure what your FO is since your timeline is out of date. If Chicago, https://www.visajourney.com/timeline/citlist.php?op6=All&op7=Chicago+IL&op1=8&op2=&op4=1&op5=5%2C10%2C11&cfl= same day oath doesn’t seem to be a thing. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
17 minutes ago, Usaph said:

Wow that sounds intense but maybe possible. Nearest for me is 4 hours so not too bad. I'll try calling them on Monday. Thanks!

Get the passport office appt then if you dont get offered same day oath just cancel the appt and travel on home country passport and GC 

Timeline

Thanks for your help! It seems like it might be best to delay the oath ceremony until after the trip, although on N-445 the answer is yes to travel outside the US. I think I have good arguments and evidence it was just to visit family since it's been many years. I just didn't expect this fast of a turnaround. From what I've read it looks like several month trips or multiple trips looks like you don't have allegiance which is why they ask that question.

I'll continue researching but appreciate any other insight into this. Particularly with the N445 travel question.

And also regarding flexibility with oath scheduling. Basically I will provide a letter saying that I cannot attend due to visiting my parents on trip scheduled in advance with a return ticket, and I will be available after return date which I will not miss for any reason.

Sound like a good plan?

Timeline
6 minutes ago, Usaph said:

It seems like it might be best to delay the oath ceremony until after the trip, although on N-445 the answer is yes to travel outside the US.

Traveling between interview and oath wobble a problem unless you violate physical presence requirements.  

Timeline
11 minutes ago, Mike E said:

Traveling between interview and oath wobble a problem unless you violate physical presence requirements.  

Understood. Very far from it. This is the only major trip except a couple days north of the border.

12 hours ago, Usaph said:

Understood. Very far from it. This is the only major trip except a couple days north of the border.

FYI our oath ceremony last year was about a month after the interview.  Based on what you’re saying it would have fallen in the middle of your planned trip.

At the interview it would be good to carefully explain your situation and ask for your ceremony appointment to be scheduled a few weeks out.  

Timeline
2 hours ago, iwannaplay54 said:

FYI our oath ceremony last year was about a month after the interview.  Based on what you’re saying it would have fallen in the middle of your planned trip.

At the interview it would be good to carefully explain your situation and ask for your ceremony appointment to be scheduled a few weeks out.  

Good to know. Yes it seems likely it would fall when I'm away, so I plan to provide reasoning and evidence that this is just a one time trip to visit family and will take the oath at the next available time upon return.

How long after your interview/exam did you find the oath ceremony time? Is it mailed within a few days of passing the interview? Or do I need to be concerned about missing the letter in the mail while out of the country?

2 hours ago, Usaph said:

Good to know. Yes it seems likely it would fall when I'm away, so I plan to provide reasoning and evidence that this is just a one time trip to visit family and will take the oath at the next available time upon return.

How long after your interview/exam did you find the oath ceremony time? Is it mailed within a few days of passing the interview? Or do I need to be concerned about missing the letter in the mail while out of the country?

My recollection was a couple weeks the letter came in and it was about two weeks later she took the oath.  Interview 11/17, oath 12/17.  I sort of flagged your trip for comment because the whole puppet show might be missed.

This was Houston, all the offices are different. 

Edited by iwannaplay54

On 1/27/2023 at 8:38 PM, Usaph said:

As excited as we are to have a naturalization appointment scheduled in April, we are leaving on a trip to the Philippines very shortly after.

Your plan to reschedule your oath ceremony after you return to the US from your trip is good 👍  Are you a Philippine citizen?  If so, remember that legally, your PH passport is voided the moment you take your US oath.

Timeline
18 hours ago, Chancy said:

Your plan to reschedule your oath ceremony after you return to the US from your trip is good 👍  Are you a Philippine citizen?  If so, remember that legally, your PH passport is voided the moment you take your US oath.

Thanks for the affirmation. Yes that is correct.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.