POA

Mom's tourist visa got denied

20 posts in this topic

Hello everyone, 

After over a year of waiting for the interview, my mom's visa got denied with 214g. She was asked 3 questions, what does she do, who will pay, and how long will she stay. Mom is over 60 year old. She answered that she works for the first question. My siblings and the entire family is still in the Philippines.  She also cannot immigrate because her pension requires her to renew every year.

Will it hurt if she re-applies immediately? Or that doesn't matter?

Do you have any tips to increase her chances of getting approved?

After the denial, I started thinking of the factors that could have affected,  such as the time of the interview, etc.

Thanks!!

15 minutes ago, POA said:

Hello everyone, 

After over a year of waiting for the interview, my mom's visa got denied with 214g. She was asked 3 questions, what does she do, who will pay, and how long will she stay. Mom is over 60 year old. She answered that she works for the first question. My siblings and the entire family is still in the Philippines.  She also cannot immigrate because her pension requires her to renew every year.

Do you have any tips to increase her chances of getting approved?

After the denial, I started thinking of the factors that could have affected,  such as the time of the interview, etc.

Thanks!!

Apparently having you in the US was a stronger tie than ties to home.

Lots of people like her come over for a visit and then abruptly decide to stay and adjust status.

Just petition her for an immigrant visa if you want her to be here.

2 minutes ago, Jorgedig said:

Apparently having you in the US was a stronger tie than ties to home.

Lots of people like her come over for a visit and then abruptly decide to stay and adjust status.

Just petition her for an immigrant visa if you want her to be here.

Edited by POA
Add text

They didn't ask about my siblings or nephew. I just want her to visit for a special occasion. I see that a lot for sure. But it is not the case for my mom. I just need to find a way to prove that, hence, asking the people here for help. 

3 minutes ago, POA said:

They didn't ask about my siblings or nephew. I just want her to visit for a special occasion. I see that a lot for sure. But it is not the case for my mom. I just need to find a way to prove that, hence, asking the people here for help. 

Unless something significant changes with her ties to home, I don't see her getting a B visa, sorry.

6 minutes ago, Jorgedig said:

Unless something significant changes with her ties to home, I don't see her getting a B visa, sorry.

That's where I am a little confused.  They did not ask her about her ties in the Philippines. So there is no way she could have proved ties. They ask her what she does, who will pay, and how long will she stay.

A friend's mom applied for the same visa, who doesn't work and yet got approved. Ot baffled me.

Has anyone here on the same situation at one point? How did you prove your ties?

Just now, POA said:

That's where I am a little confused.  They did not ask her about her ties in the Philippines. So there is no way she could have proved ties. They ask her what she does, who will pay, and how long will she stay.

A friend's mom applied for the same visa, who doesn't work and yet got approved. Ot baffled me.

Has anyone here on the same situation at one point? How did you prove your ties?

A person's eligibility is established by the contents of the DS160, so there is nothing evidence-wise to bring to the interview.

7 minutes ago, Jorgedig said:

A person's eligibility is established by the contents of the DS160, so there is nothing evidence-wise to bring to the interview.

Thank you for your input.

I hope to hear from people who have the same experience for additional input

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Tricky with PI so many forget to go home

She can of course re apply

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

3 minutes ago, Boiler said:

Tricky with PI so many forget to go home

She can of course re apply

Thanks Boiler. That's the plan. I am wondering I applying immediately will hurt.

1 hour ago, POA said:

If you don't mind paying another $160, your mom can certainly apply again soon.  When she interviews again, she may be asked something like, "What has changed with your circumstances since you last applied?"  If nothing significant has changed with her life situation towards strengthening her ties to the Philippines, she will likely be denied again under 214b.  With a short gap between applications, nothing much can be done to improve her chances.  It seems B visa decisions are often made even before the applicant walks up to the counter for interview.  Most of the info the interviewing officer needs is already in the DS-160 form, and they have no obligation to look at any documentary evidence brought to the interview.

Edited by Chancy
typo

1 minute ago, Chancy said:

If you don't mind paying another $160, you mom can certainly apply again soon.  When she interviews again, she may be asked something like, "What has changed with your circumstances since you last applied?"  If nothing significant has changed with her life situation towards strengthening her ties to the Philippines, she will likely be denied again under 214b.  With a short gap between applications, nothing much can be done to improve her chances.  It seems B visa decisions are often made even before the applicant walks up to the counter for interview.  Most of the info the interviewing officer needs is already in the DS-160 form, and they have no obligation to look at any documentary evidence brought to the interview.

Thanks Chancy!
The DS-160 doesn't ask about children. They ask about husband and parents but not kids. Unfortunately,  my dad has passed. I have heard that my friend's mom was asked how many kids she has in the US vs in the PH, but my mom wasn't asked that
😞. I don't mind paying another 160 but wanted to increase her chances.  I wouldn't petition for her also.

Thank you for your input.

OK. I looked at samples online and they were options to add children but the form online doesn't give me an option. 

Screenshot_20230127_173653_Samsung Internet.jpg

21 minutes ago, POA said:

OK. I looked at samples online and they were options to add children but the form online doesn't give me an option. 

Screenshot_20230127_173653_Samsung Internet.jpg

Your mom would need to put her US children under "US contacts."  The form absolutely requires applicants to disclose friends/family in the US.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.