Stein

Why wouldn't you file for citizenship?

73 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Ten years ago today (Jan. 23), Mrs. T-B. became naturalized.

The definitive study guide for naturalization (and the account of the very real trauma involved) is here:  :P 

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/382775-mrs-t-b-the-citizenship-test/

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: South Africa
Timeline

I made good money in the USA that filing US citizenship will be a tax liability when I decide to move elsewhere. I will stay as a green card holder while in the US and will renounce or abandon it once I exit the country which will happen very soon.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline
10 hours ago, Daphne . said:

I am one of those people. I can have dual citizenship but have no interest in becoming a US Citizen. My reason is that the US doesn’t feel like my home and I don’t feel any connection to it, so don’t feel like a citizen anyway. I want to keep that distance (and yes, I am aware that this will mean dealing with USCIS for the rest of my life :)) . I am a Dutch citizen and will always only stay a Dutch citizen. 
My reasons might make no sense to other people, but I feel very strongly about them. 

Daphne, I really appreciate your answer. I felt the same at some point - and happy to return to Europe after years of living in the US. However, found out soon enough that I didn't really fit into the typical German life anymore. Its like a cuckoo who fell out of the nest. At least that was my experience.

I am, today, a very happy dual citizen of Germany and the US.

3 hours ago, R&OC said:

However, found out soon enough that I didn't really fit into the typical German life anymore

This resonates with me and is one of the reasons that I will naturalise when I am able to. May as well have the right to settle in two places you may not fit in, rather than just one.

I am happy that you are now a happy dual citizen! ☺️☺️

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline
9 hours ago, Moe428 said:

Which country? My wife was called in both 2021 and 2022.  I was also called but I used the juicy "I am not a US citizen" reason to excuse myself.

In any case, it's something to consider.

I was born a US citizen.  I've never been called.  "They" say that the jury duty pool isn't tied to voter registration records.  I've not registered to vote for almost 30 years.  I've never been called.  You decide based on those two points.

Edited by Stein

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

I know several co-workers that came over on employment based visas and adjusted to an LPR.  The majority of them do not plan to naturalize as they do not plan to stay in the US after retirement for various reasons, but mostly because of the cost of healthcare in the US as opposed to the cost in their home countries.

As to my wife, she chose to naturalize mostly to be able to vote and for the benefits of holding a US passport as compared to a Russian passport, but she is able to use either.

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

13 hours ago, Noname93 said:

I could also see people having issues with the whole "willing to bear arms, etc." if the law requires questions. I will definitely have to think hard about whether I want to get an exception to the "bearing arms" part if I ever get the chance to naturalize.

I got an exception for it and took a modified oath. 

America! The land of opportunity. A lot of our ancestors came here for different reasons. Economic, freedom of religion, flee the oppressors and I'm sure the list goes on. Europe wasnt always a great place to live, lets drift back to the 1940s. Same with the far east (Asia) People now a days come for alot of the same reasons and with technology are able to meet life partners thousands of miles away from home. As much as the world has changed it has stayed the same.

My wife left her country due to the lack of opportunity to provide for her family, She is so proud of her blue passport and was thrilled to vote for the first time last November. A lot of people take our country for granted, she does not as she has been on both sides and still sees the USA as the place that made her life complete. To each their own I say. If we were all the same life would be so boring.

many countries don't acknowledge dual citizenship. and if that person has properties in their home country that can be an issue.  i myself will go for citizenship when the time will come, just because i love to travel overseas and with my home country passport, visa almost always required. literally have to apply visa and not visa on arrival, paid $100-200 for visit visa and there's no guarantee i will get that visa. if they said denied, money's gone. US passport definitely better for me

while i know many people who got their greencard, they didnt even leave their home state let alone traveling overseas.

Edited by Misscloud

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline
1 hour ago, Dashinka said:

I know several co-workers that came over on employment based visas and adjusted to an LPR.  The majority of them do not plan to naturalize as they do not plan to stay in the US after retirement for various reasons, but mostly because of the cost of healthcare in the US as opposed to the cost in their home countries.

As to my wife, she chose to naturalize mostly to be able to vote and for the benefits of holding a US passport as compared to a Russian passport, but she is able to use either.

And that's the whole point of naturalization. You can come and go as you wish and you can draw your retirement benefits while out of the country.

16 hours ago, Daphne . said:

I am one of those people. I can have dual citizenship but have no interest in becoming a US Citizen. My reason is that the US doesn’t feel like my home and I don’t feel any connection to it, so don’t feel like a citizen anyway. I want to keep that distance (and yes, I am aware that this will mean dealing with USCIS for the rest of my life :)) . I am a Dutch citizen and will always only stay a Dutch citizen. 
My reasons might make no sense to other people, but I feel very strongly about them. 

My husband feels the exact same way. He does not feel at home in the US and really doesn't like the country. He does not desire to pledge allegiance, so he does not want to become a citizen at this time, even though he qualifies to naturalize. His passport is just as strong as mine and we travel together all over the world. The only instance which may cause him to be forced into naturalizing is if we leave (which may happen). 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I filed earlier this month.  USCIS and their fees are a moving target that I don't want to deal with every 10 years.  My kids are headed to university soon and although I hope they go to school in Canada, I want them to be eligible for every scholarship opportunity available.  I don't want the government to use any excuse to separate me from my husband.  I can always go back home or move with hubs to his home if we choose without having more trauma of dealing with reentry permits, etc if I'm a citizen.  I have to file taxes regardless of PR or citizen status, so it's seemingly easier.  We also own property and that has challenges on it's own and especially if something happened and our estate had to be managed.  

A lot of people are under the impression that they can just let their GC expire and that absolves them of any responsibility.  Many don't realize there's a formal filing requirement to do so.  

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 Visa spreadsheet: follow directions at top of page for data to be added

I've been itching for the day I could apply for citizenship. The UK allows dual citizenship so there's no loss for me there. With Brexit, a US passport feels like it's much more useful than British one nowadays. If we move to Europe when we retire then, fair enough, we'll deal with the international US tax issue, but for me the right to vote and feel like I'm fully participating in life here in the US is priceless. 

A friend of mine here is German and has been a green card holder for over a decade. She's thinking of applying for citizenship, but told me that Germans have to get permission from the German government to hold a dual citizenship and there tends to be a time limit on validity so she's afraid USCIS won't process her fast enough to be within that window of permission. Naturally I'll be keeping her up to speed on how fast or slow my N400 goes.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
55 minutes ago, retheem said:

And that's the whole point of naturalization. You can come and go as you wish and you can draw your retirement benefits while out of the country.

And you get the IRS watching over you.  I am not saying I agree with them, and I believe some of the thinking is based on their home countries like Australia, and ROK and the fact that even if they eventually sign an I407 (as stated earlier, denaturalization or renouncing is very expensive), they can still visit the US if they want.

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
40 minutes ago, Sarah&Facundo said:

His passport is just as strong as mine

Based on? 

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.