Stein

Extension Letters now being increased to 48 months. (merged)

274 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Dashinka said:

And as @Mike Epointed out make the ROC divorce waiver go away, or at least make it much harder.

I think the idea of scrutinizing marriage based adjustments more to prevent fraud, and completely getting rid of ROC is the best. No more ROC, no more divorce waivers. Getting rid of the divorce waiver alone without eliminating ROC seems unfair to people in the same situation as me. When I got my greencard, my ex-wife and I were one month shy of two years of marriage, so for that reason I received a 2 year one instead of the 10 year one. Our marriage went on to last 3 years and only ended due to infidelity on her part.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
30 minutes ago, zeusgt said:

I think the idea of scrutinizing marriage based adjustments more to prevent fraud, and completely getting rid of ROC is the best. No more ROC, no more divorce waivers. Getting rid of the divorce waiver alone without eliminating ROC seems unfair to people in the same situation as me. When I got my greencard, my ex-wife and I were one month shy of two years of marriage, so for that reason I received a 2 year one instead of the 10 year one. Our marriage went on to last 3 years and only ended due to infidelity on her part.

I think in the end, anyone that is committing fraud will simply adapt to any changes that come about.  How many stories to we hear from a USC that looks like they were victims of a scam and now want some form of revenge when they actually participated in it by either providing the marriage bonafides to NVC/Consulates or to USCIS depending on if it was a spousal visa or AOS.  There is nothing perfect out there, but what is clear is that the ROC is simply a cash grab by USCIS and is not really doing anything to end the potential for sham marriages for immigration purposes.

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Georgia
Timeline
5 hours ago, Dashinka said:

And as @Mike Epointed out make the ROC divorce waiver go away, or at least make it much harder.

If ROC is abolished there will be no waivers.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

If there was significant fraud, or if I-751s were effective at weeding out fraud, there would be a higher percentage of denied I-751s.  That 1% to 3% (denied cases) also includes cases denied for technical reasons other than fraud.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
16 minutes ago, kvito28 said:

If ROC is abolished there will be no waivers.

RoC won’t be abolished and if it is, you under estimate Congress.  Congress could for example add a divorce waiver to I-90 if the gc was obtained through a spousal petition and couple is divorced. Ditto N-400. 

Rarely  does congress simplify anything. 

So what are they doing with our fees? It's obvious that they aren't processing any ROCs. My wife is ambivalent about becoming a citizen. It's time for me to bust out the 80's version of Red Dawn and try to convince her.

So what is the consensus. Are they going to send out 36 month letters to us all? The boss's extension letter expires in October.

Edited by Carpe Vinum

Finally done...

Timeline
1 minute ago, Carpe Vinum said:

So what are they doing with our fees? It's obvious that they aren't processing any ROCs. My wife is ambivalent about becoming a citizen. It's time for me to bust out the 80's version of Red Dawn and try to convince her.

In the long run, citizenship is less expensive since her Green Card won't have to be renewed over and over.  Fees are not getting any lower.  In addition, there is the benefit of not having to deal with USCIS ever again (address changes, etc).

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

13 minutes ago, Crazy Cat said:

In the long run, citizenship is less expensive since her Green Card won't have to be renewed over and over.  Fees are not getting any lower.  In addition, there is the benefit of not having to deal with USCIS ever again (address changes, etc).

Plus you can vote and run for office :)

A magical mystery tour of many US visas prior to AOS... (J-1, F-1, H-1B)

I-485/AOS:

Spoiler

EAD/AP - NOA received May 18, 2020

AOS - NOA received May 18, 2020

Biometrics (Code 2) - August 5, 2020

Biometrics take 2 (Code 3) - August 27, 2020

Ready to be Scheduled for Interview - September 8, 2020

EAD/AP Approval Notice - October  1, 2020

EAD Card Received - October 13, 2020

Interview Scheduled Notification - March 1, 2021

Interview Scheduled - April 6, 2021

GC Approved - May 7, 2021

GC Mailed - May 11, 2021

GC Delivered - May 11, 2021

N400 Citizenship:

File Date - January 8, 2024

Biometrics Waiver - January 8, 2024

Interview Scheduled - March 7, 2024

Interview Date - April 12, 2024

Conditionally Approved Pending I-751 Transfer - April 12, 2024

I-751 Case Was Transferred to Another Office - April 12, 2024

Case Approved - May 5, 2024

Oath Ceremony to be Scheduled - May 5, 2024

Oath Scheduled - May 18, 2024

Oath Ceremony - June 18, 2024

Oath Ceremony Cancelled - June 12, 2024

Oath Ceremony Rescheduled Date - July 30, 2024

DONE

Removal of Conditions:

File Date - January 7, 2023

Package Delivered - January 9, 2023

NOA Date - January 10, 2023

NOA Received - January 17, 2023 (dated "received" January 9, 2023)

48 Month Extension Received - March 20, 2023

Case Approved - May 3, 2024

event.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
17 minutes ago, Carpe Vinum said:

So what are they doing with our fees?

Using them to fund cases that don’t have fees. 

It's time for me to bust out the 80's version of Red Dawn and try to convince her.

Wolverines!

So what is the consensus. Are they going to send out 36 month letters to us all? The boss's extension letter expires in October.

Until  there is a formal announcement, I don’t think they will send 3 year letters to those with 2 year and 1.5 year letters. 

Timeline
1 minute ago, Mike E said:

Using them to fund cases that don’t have fees.

That really burns my toast!  Why should we have to pay that?  

6 minutes ago, Mike E said:

Until  there is a formal announcement, I don’t think they will send 3 year letters to those with 2 year and 1.5 year letters. 

It's so so annoying and arbitrary... I literally cannot wait until next January when I can file N400 and be done with the dumpster fire that is USCIS interactions.

A magical mystery tour of many US visas prior to AOS... (J-1, F-1, H-1B)

I-485/AOS:

Spoiler

EAD/AP - NOA received May 18, 2020

AOS - NOA received May 18, 2020

Biometrics (Code 2) - August 5, 2020

Biometrics take 2 (Code 3) - August 27, 2020

Ready to be Scheduled for Interview - September 8, 2020

EAD/AP Approval Notice - October  1, 2020

EAD Card Received - October 13, 2020

Interview Scheduled Notification - March 1, 2021

Interview Scheduled - April 6, 2021

GC Approved - May 7, 2021

GC Mailed - May 11, 2021

GC Delivered - May 11, 2021

N400 Citizenship:

File Date - January 8, 2024

Biometrics Waiver - January 8, 2024

Interview Scheduled - March 7, 2024

Interview Date - April 12, 2024

Conditionally Approved Pending I-751 Transfer - April 12, 2024

I-751 Case Was Transferred to Another Office - April 12, 2024

Case Approved - May 5, 2024

Oath Ceremony to be Scheduled - May 5, 2024

Oath Scheduled - May 18, 2024

Oath Ceremony - June 18, 2024

Oath Ceremony Cancelled - June 12, 2024

Oath Ceremony Rescheduled Date - July 30, 2024

DONE

Removal of Conditions:

File Date - January 7, 2023

Package Delivered - January 9, 2023

NOA Date - January 10, 2023

NOA Received - January 17, 2023 (dated "received" January 9, 2023)

48 Month Extension Received - March 20, 2023

Case Approved - May 3, 2024

event.png

13 minutes ago, Crazy Cat said:

That really burns my toast!  Why should we have to pay that?  

Because that sub category do have a significant voting power and unlike us are very vocal about how the policies is going to affect them. 

No matter who is in office the legitimate USCIS customers are always getting screwed and the ones who don't pay taxes or fees are acting as if the agency owes them something.

Seems that effective today they'll extend everyone's GCs for 48 months, and this announcement seems to imply they'll send new NOAs to everyone who is waiting:

https://www.uscis.gov/newsroom/alerts/uscis-extends-green-card-validity-for-conditional-permanent-residents-with-a-pending-form-i-751-or

Timeline
1 minute ago, kippenpox said:

Seems that effective today they'll extend everyone's GCs for 48 months, and this announcement seems to imply they'll send new NOAs to everyone who is waiting:

https://www.uscis.gov/newsroom/alerts/uscis-extends-green-card-validity-for-conditional-permanent-residents-with-a-pending-form-i-751-or

Wow!!!!!  So, now, a 2 year Green Card is good for 6 years.....LOL!!!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.