Stein

Extension Letters now being increased to 48 months. (merged)

274 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Received 48 month extension letter today..

I-129F

17 March 2017 (Fri): USPS Priority Mail to Lewisville, TX

21 March 2017 (Tue): Delivered to Lewisville, TX

27 March 2017 (Tue): NOA1 via SMS and e-mail - petition assigned to CSC 

1   April 2017 (Sat): Received NOA1 I-797C Hard Copy

25 July 2017 (Tue): NOA2 approval 

29 July 2017 (Sat) : NOA2 Approval notice received by mail

8 August 2017 (Tuesday): NVC case number received

9 August 2017  (Wednesday) : Left NVC for Embassy

10 August 2017 (Thursday): Manila Embassy received and ready status on ceac.

5 September 2017 (Tuesday): Medical Exam SLEC.  X-Ray Positive so Sputum test ordered. Appt for Sputum set

27 September 2017 (Wednesday): Sputum exam x 4 days

1 December 2017 (Friday) : Sputum exam Completed and Vaccinations given . Ready for interview .

7 December 2017 (Thursday): Interview and approval

12 December 2017  (Tuesday): Passport with Visa ready to be picked at 2Go.

17 December 2017 (Sunday) : Flight and POE in USA..

AOS I-485

24 August 2018 (Friday): AOS/EAD/AP packet in mail with USPS tracking number

4 September 2018 (Tuesday): Email and Text of USCIS Acceptance with 3  MSC # for all      (GC,EAD,AP)

8 September 2018 (Saturday):  Received our (3) NOA1 for (GC,EAD,AP)hard copy via mail

25 September 2018 (Tuesday) Biometrics Appointment

02 October 2018 (Tuesday): Case Status updated to Ready to Schedule Interview

28 January 2019: EAD/AP card approved

06 Feb 2019: EAD/AP combo received

09 May 2019: Interview

09 May 2019: 8 hours later Status changed to APPLICATION APPROVED..

14 May 2019: GREEN CARD ISSUED!!!

17 May 2019: GREEN CARD IN HAND!!!

I-751

13 March 2022 - Filed I-751

22 March 2022 - NOA 1 received

15 July 2022 - notice of biometrics being re-used

21 March 2023 - received 48month extension letter

22 February 2024 - received text/email that new card is being produced. No interview.

07 March 2024 green card sent

09 March 2024 - green card received

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline
On 3/20/2023 at 12:15 PM, beefmaster2 said:

Just got my 48 month extension. Filed December 2022. Previously received the standard 24 months. 

Same now we got a 4 year extension, Vermont Center 

Oct 2021 Filer,  Green Card Expired 1/22, new exp date 1/24 well isn't that nice

If we take an overseas trip we will have to file a I-131 form,.

Edited by Tidus992

6 minutes ago, Tidus992 said:

If we take an overseas trip we will have to file a I-131 form,.

Not for the near future, that's the whole point of 48 month extension letter.

If your GC expired 1/2022, the 48 month extension extends it validity until 1/2026.

You can travel without I-131 as long as you don't take 6+ month trips and if trip is at the end of 2025, you return before 01/2026.

Timeline
18 minutes ago, OldUser said:

Not for the near future, that's the whole point of 48 month extension letter.

If your GC expired 1/2022, the 48 month extension extends it validity until 1/2026.

You can travel without I-131 as long as you don't take 6+ month trips and if trip is at the end of 2025, you return before 01/2026.

Ahhh thats right 1/26 ,  do you think the new 1/26 exp date would be in their system at the POE if we come back from a overseas trip if we have problems with the letter, are their systems connected to USCIS?

3 minutes ago, Tidus992 said:

Ahhh thats right 1/26 ,  do you think the new 1/26 exp date would be in their system at the POE if we come back from a overseas trip if we have problems with the letter, are their systems connected to USCIS?

You just show CBP the original 48 month letter, not a copy, along with expired GC. That's all you need. It's proof of your status. Whether their system is connected to USCIS, probably is, but doesn't really matter.

Edited by OldUser

17 minutes ago, Tidus992 said:

What problems you think you could have with the letter? 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
31 minutes ago, Tidus992 said:

What problems?  The 48 month extension letter (which has your A Number) along with an expired GC is your evidence of legal status.  Your A Number is in their system. Once you get back to the US POE, you will be allowed to enter.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline
18 minutes ago, Allaboutwaiting said:

What problems you think you could have with the letter? 

Nothing to much, its just me over thinking, haha.   We haven't ran into any problems yet with the letter, she has a drivers licensee now and she can use that as an ID rather than her greencard.  The only problem we had was them needing the original rather than a copy.   This extension has been going on for almost 2 years already most places that required a greencard has already seen the letter and know about it including the DMV

Edited by Tidus992

Just now, Tidus992 said:

Nothing to much, its just me over thinking, haha.   We haven't ran into any problems yet with the letter, she has a drivers licensee now and she can use that as an ID rather than her Greencard.  The only problem we had was them needing the original rather than a copy.

Yeah, a copy won't make it. Must be the original and always accompanied by the GC. 

I personally like the letters and I would welcome a 120 month extension. 🤣

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
3 minutes ago, Allaboutwaiting said:

Yeah, a copy won't make it. Must be the original and always accompanied by the GC. 

I personally like the letters and I would welcome a 120 month extension. 🤣

The BEST thing they could do is just to eliminate the I-751 completely.  Make all GCs expire in 10 years.

Edited by Crazy Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

25 minutes ago, Crazy Cat said:

The BEST thing they could do is just to eliminate the I-751 completely.  Make all GCs expire in 10 years.

That would be the best.

Alternatively, can issue 1200 months extension letters for those not planning to file N-400 any time soon.

Edited by OldUser

3 minutes ago, OldUser said:

That would be the best.

Alternatively, can issue 1200 extension months letters for those not planning to file N-400 any time soon.

I'm in for the one thousand two hundred months extension! 

Though I doubt I will live 100 years more. 😜 

Edited by Allaboutwaiting

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.