LaLaRI

Airlines to choose when waiting for removal of conditions

22 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Mike E said:

So now we have two data points for why LPRs with irregular I-551s should not fly Delta. This is called a pattern   

I have used Delta to fly back to the US with a boarding foil and it went ok - I was sent to secondary inspection in TX but just made to wait 45 min before being send out with no questions.

I wonder if ADIT stamps looked like boarding foils and also had the explicit language they do - something to the tune of "This is a lawful permanent resident and carriers can transport them wirhout penalties" don't exactly remember the words - we would all have an easier time traveling internationally.

Unfortunately extension letters can't fit neatly into your passport, having copies of CBP guide and acceptable documents it's the best one can do.

Edited by jackiegringa

event.png

N-400 3 year marriage based (IOE)

Jan 22, 2024 - Submitted online 

Jan 22, 2024 - Biometrics waived

Mar 6, 2024 - Interview scheduled for Apr 11 COMBO I-751/N-400

Apr 11, 2024 - Combo interview - approved N-400

May 1, 2024 - Approved ROC, received 10 GC on May 20.

May 7, 2024 - Oath scheduled for June 14 (requested later ceremony at interview)

June 14, 2024 - Special Flag Day Oath ceremony - I'm a citizen!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
8 minutes ago, jackiegringa said:

I have used Delta to fly back to the US with a boarding foil

A boarding foil isn’t an I-551. 

8 minutes ago, jackiegringa said:

I wonder if ADIT stamps looked like boarding foils and also had the explicit language they do - something to the tune of "This is a lawful permanent resident and carriers can transport them wirhout penalties" don't exactly remember the words - we would all have aneasier time traveling internationally.

Never underestimate the ability of Delta, Spirit, Turkish, and China Eastern to fail reading comprehension.  It doesn’t help when evil people at USCIS publish this FUD on their website:

“

Although regulations generally require an LPR to travel with a valid Green Card, U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) policy allows a transportation carrier bound for the United States to let you to board without carrier documentation if you are:

• An LPR with an expired Green Card that was issued with a 10-year expiration date (and you have been outside of the U.S. for less than a year);”

This above is from https://www.uscis.gov/i-131a and last part that I put in bold is just wrong. 

I have a better idea: when people pay about $1000 to get a new green card, issue them an actual green card. It literally takes less than a week.  

Edited by Mike E

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline
3 hours ago, Dashinka said:

The local check-in clerk was not familiar with the EL and asked to keep it.  Luckily we had a few copies with us, and gave her one of those, and my wife was allowed to proceed. 

Same thing with us. BKK to ICN with Korean Air. Employee didn't know the rules, I showed here copy of the letter (we had original too). She called supervisor then another supervisor and that was it. When landing in US, CBP officer asked for original letter. Showed it to him and that was it. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
2 hours ago, Mike E said:

So now we have two data points for why LPRs with irregular I-551s should not fly Delta. This is called a pattern   

Wow, Delta must have done something really bad.  :)   I have a hated airline as well...Air Canada with American and United close- behind.

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
5 minutes ago, Dashinka said:

Wow, Delta must have done something really bad.  :)   I have a hated airline as well...Air Canada with American and United close- behind.

I like Delta a lot personally. I just won’t be flying them if my wife has an extension letter. 

We’ve  had difficulties with Air Canada, American and United, as well as  Jet Blue and China Airlines, but in the end they  boarded my wife. The difficulties were not always because of an extension letter.

* the airline at first said my wife needed a visa to enter the USA, even though the clerk was holding an unexpired green card in her hand.

* the airline at first said she needed to be a transit visa for an airport connection in Japan.

* the airline at first said a combo card was not a valid AP document. 

18 hours ago, LaLaRI said:

Hello,

I read somewhere here that some airlines do not know of the paper that extends the legality of the 2 year green card holder. We filed back in Feb of 2022 for removal of condition, as of today it just shows finger prints accepted. What airlines should we stay out of when going home to PHILIPPINES to avoid issues with customs and when it comes to just have the temp GC with the paper confirmation of 2 years extension? Thank you! 

PAL is up on the extension letter. My wife had no problem travelling with it with them.

Finally done...

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
1 hour ago, Mike E said:

I like Delta a lot personally. I just won’t be flying them if my wife has an extension letter. 

We’ve  had difficulties with Air Canada, American and United, as well as  Jet Blue and China Airlines, but in the end they  boarded my wife. The difficulties were not always because of an extension letter.

* the airline at first said my wife needed a visa to enter the USA, even though the clerk was holding an unexpired green card in her hand.

* the airline at first said she needed to be a transit visa for an airport connection in Japan.

* the airline at first said a combo card was not a valid AP document. 

Interesting, as to our experience with Delta, except for the first time flying from PEK to DTW, my wife never had any other issues when she was on the EL.

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.