Tony and Minche

Singapore Police Clearance Question

5 posts in this topic

Hi all, I need some help.

My Filipina fiance (k1) lived in both Hong Kong and Singapore for 6 months thus requiring police clearance from both countries. Hong Kong is no problem. BUT, we are being told by our visa agency that to request police clearance from Singapore, a request from US embassy is required. This request ONLY comes at interview and we will be in 221 (g) status (incomplete documents) and embassy will give us request letter for Singapore. We then need to submit request and wait 1-2 months more to get the clearance before visa is issued.

Anyone with experience here to confirm above? Is there a way to get embassy request letter BEFORE the interview date? I believe it should be possible to initiate SG police clearance request BEFORE interview. 

We currently have an NVC case number and are waiting for it to be shipped to PH US Embassy.

my fiancé got two sets of fingerprints today to use for both HK and SG police clearance requests. 

Any help is appreciated!

*** Removed duplicate thread in a different sub-forum.  If you mistakenly post on the wrong forum, click "Report post" to request your thread to be moved.  FYI ***

1 hour ago, Tony and Minche said:

we are being told by our visa agency that to request police clearance from Singapore, a request from US embassy is required. This request ONLY comes at interview and we will be in 221 (g) status (incomplete documents) and embassy will give us request letter for Singapore.

Why visa agency?  You can check the instructions directly from the official sources --

Do NOT wait for a 221g letter!  You can (and should) get a Singapore police certificate before the visa interview.  Singapore just wants documentary evidence that you are requesting a Certificate of Clearance (CoC) for legit reasons.  The issuing authority for CoC is familiar with requests related to US immigration.  So submit PDF copies of the following --

1. I-129F NOA2 approval notice
  2. Email from NVC with beneficiary's name and MNL case number
  3. US Embassy Manila's pre-interview checklist -- https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/Supplements/Supplements_by_Post/MNL-Manila.html#pre_interview_checklist

You may also edit and submit a copy of this form letter, but others have been able to get the CoC without doing so -- https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/reciprocity/Singapore COC request letter.pdf

Great. Thank you. I thought we should be able to do it! We used a firm to help us package everything for USCIS and they did a nice job so we’re just letting them help us over finish line. 

one follow-up question, technically, my fiancé was physically only in SG just shy of 6 months (like 5 months  and 20 days). She had a work visa for 6 months but was only in country consecutive days less than 6 months. Even the work visa was 5 days short of 6 months. 

So does she technically even need a police clearance from SG? When she went to do the appeal process on SG official site and plugged in her dates, it wouldn’t let h continue because duration was less than 6 months. 

1 minute ago, Tony and Minche said:

So does she technically even need a police clearance from SG? When she went to do the appeal process on SG official site and plugged in her dates, it wouldn’t let h continue because duration was less than 6 months. 

If the CoC site won't let her continue because of the short duration, don't bother applying.  If there is an error message displayed, get a screenshot and bring a print-out to the interview.  Technically, the CoC is not required if she stayed less than 6 months, though the interviewing officer may still ask for it (unlikely).  I suggest your fiance bring her passport with the SG entry/exit stamps showing her actual dates of stay and the SG work visa.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I did not request a letter from US Embassy Manila when I obtained mine way back in 2019. The documents I submitted:

1. Scanned copy valid Passport biometric page

2. Scanned copy I- 129F NOA2 approval Notice

3. US Embassy Manila Pre- Interview checklist

4. Digital passport size photograph

5. Scanned Philippine postal Identity card (front and back)

By the way, she needs her FIN to be able to apply a Singapore Certificate of Clearance 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.