Ein

B2 Visa extension advice request

25 posts in this topic

12 minutes ago, Mike E said:

This will get you denied entry, visa canceled, and ban. 

Really? That's unsettling. How so?

I'm not doing anything official, or paperwork. I'd just be trying to support her logistically with physically packing, moving boxes and stuff like that. Just staying with her and being an extra pair of hands. I'd then be then flying back with her to the UK.

Edited by Ein
Context

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
8 minutes ago, Ein said:

Really? That's unsettling. How so?

You plan to work in the USA. 

Timeline
29 minutes ago, Ein said:

I'd just be trying to support her logistically with physically packing, moving boxes and stuff like that. Just staying with her and being an extra pair of hands

This is work. She can hire people authorized to work in the USA to do all that. 

11 minutes ago, Ein said:

I guess I'll have to be very careful in how I present it.

IOW you plan to lie to a federal officer.  And then work illegally. 

Cheaper in long run to give her the money to hire a mover. 

Edited by Mike E

6 minutes ago, Mike E said:

IOW you plan to lie to a federal officer.  And then work illegally. 

Cheaper in long run to give her the money to hire a mover. 

No, I'm certainly not planning to lie. Personally I'm not seeing this as working, just helping my girlfriend, and I would endeavour to frame it as such in any interview. I wouldn't lie about what I'm intending to do. I don't want a denial or a ban.

It's clear that I'm not thinking as a CBP officer would though, which is why I was suprised by your response. I very much appreciate the insight and your advice.

Timeline
4 hours ago, Ein said:

I would endeavour to frame it as such in any interview. I wouldn't lie about what I'm intending to do. I don't want a denial or a ban.

You intend to perform unauthorized  work in the USA. 

You to tell (“frame”) the CBPO you will be performing unauthorized work in the USA.  

What outcome are you expecting?

@Ein you should watch some UK Border Force episodes about how similar scenario would have been treated in your home country. It's similar in the US. There's a high chance CBP would deny you entry and cancel your visa.

Edited by OldUser

8 minutes ago, OldUser said:

@Ein you should watch some UK Border Force episodes about how similar scenario would have been treated in your home country. It's similar in the US. There's a high chance CBP would deny you entry and cancel your visa.

Thank you. I'll try to do that and see what the deal is.

I guess I just struggle to see this as 'unauthorised work,' even if that's how it would be viewed by CBP. By that rationale every time a person in that scenario help's their partner by unpacking the groceries, or does housework, they're performing unauthorised work and potentially breaching the terms of their visa. That may be how it is. I just struggle to get my head around it.

2 minutes ago, Ein said:

Thank you. I'll try to do that and see what the deal is.

I guess I just struggle to see this as 'unauthorised work,' even if that's how it would be viewed by CBP. By that rationale every time a person in that scenario help's their partner by unpacking the groceries, or does housework, they're performing unauthorised work and potentially breaching the terms of their visa. That may be how it is. I just struggle to get my head around it.

It’s more in line with people bringing immigrants over to do unpaid work that a USC/LPR could do for pay:   Child care is a great example.   Packing up and moving the contents of a residence overseas is another.   Helping with unpacking groceries at home is obviously just a task of daily living, and wouldn’t be putting anyone out of a paid job.

3 minutes ago, Jorgedig said:

It’s more in line with people bringing immigrants over to do unpaid work that a USC/LPR could do for pay:   Child care is a great example.   Packing up and moving the contents of a residence overseas is another.   Helping with unpacking groceries at home is obviously just a task of daily living, and wouldn’t be putting anyone out of a paid job.

Thank you for the clarification. That helps a lot. 🙂

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.