Yoyo123

Marriage problem [merged threads]

26 posts in this topic

18 hours ago, Adventine said:

To add, foreign-born spouses may be from countries where the rule of law is weak, government agencies are corrupt, and displeasing the wrong people can result in jail time for the innocent. For people who grew up in these kinds of societies, a US citizen spouse's empty threats of deportation don't seem so empty.

(Some) abusers are also looking for "weaker" partners.  New immigrants with little resources (support system, money, knowledge of the local laws) can be seen as easier victims.  I'm convinced that some abusing sponsors deliberately seek the power imbalance.

2 minutes ago, Lemonslice said:

(Some) abusers are also looking for "weaker" partners.  New immigrants with little resources (support system, money, knowledge of the local laws) can be seen as easier victims.  I'm convinced that some abusing sponsors deliberately seek the power imbalance.

As a victim of this abuse myself, yes I can very much attest to this behavior. Luckily USCIS knows this and has protections in place for such victims. Though its the victim's responsibility to keep good records of abuse as hearsay wouldn't help.

21 hours ago, Adventine said:

I think this question comes up a lot because, in the heat of an argument, some US citizens threaten their foreign-born spouses with deportation. It's an ugly tactic and has no legal basis, but we see it practically every week here on VJ.

Sad, but true.

4/12/13 - sent I-485 package

4/15/13 - USCIS Chicago Lockbox received package

4/22/13 - got email and txt

4/29/13 - received NOA in mail

5/08/13 - received biometrics appointment for 5/22

5/09/13 - successful early walk in at Port Chester, NY office

5/22/13 - I-485 updated to Testing & Interview

6/18/13 - EAD went to production

6/21/13 - Card/Document Production for EAD - second email

6/24/13 - EAD mailed

6/26/13 - EAD arrived

7/18/13 - got email about interview

7/20/13 - got hard copy interview letter

08/23/13 - interview - Approved dancin5hr.gif(card production & decision email)

08/28/13 - card production - second email

08/29/13 - card mailed

09/03/13 - card arrived

*********************************************************************************

05/27/2016 - N-400 mailed

06/02/2016 - NOA date

06/24/2016 - biometrics appointment

11/28/2016 - interview scheduled for January 9th, 2017

01/09/2017 - interview passed

01/20/2017 - Oath Ceremony

On 7/22/2022 at 5:53 PM, Adventine said:

I think this question comes up a lot because, in the heat of an argument, some US citizens threaten their foreign-born spouses with deportation. It's an ugly tactic and has no legal basis, but we see it practically every week here on VJ.

This is true.

When my spouse and I argue, I threaten him with a Philippine citizenship.

Just kidding. We don't argue. 😁

New Petition:

Apr 5,  2023: Naturalization

Apr 6, 2023: I-130 for my mother

Apr 6, 2023: NOA1

Apr 9, 2024: Approved

Apr 13, 2024: Sent to NVC

Apr 18, 2024: Received email fr NVC and paid the AOS/IV fee

Apr 23, 2024: CEAC website shows "Paid"

Apr 25, 2024: Uploaded Civil and Financial documents

May 1, 2024: Documents accepted except for marriage certificate (unreadable) and death certificate (wrong file)

May 3, 2024: Ordered marriage certificate and death certificate from PSA online

May 9, 2024: Received email from PSA that marriage cert is blurred/eligible--will need 15 more days for reverification

May 22, 2024: Marriage Cert received from PSA (death cert was delivered 2 weeks earlier)

May 23, 2024: Uploaded new files to the CEAC website

May 29, 2024: Documentary Qualified

July 13, 2024: Expedite Request to NVC

July 15, 2024: NVC responded that it will forward the request to the embassy

July 16, 2024: Expedite request rejected by the embassy

• 5 months later...

Hey, my name is chris and I had been here 2 years ago. My wife filed for me for usa. We have one daughter. Unfortunately since I have been my wife behavior is  very cruel. She doesn't like mutual understanding, doesn't like my family...I cannot spending by my self on things. She is so much controlling and  Always taunting taunting...my life is hell. In two years i have nothing in my bank account what ever i earned i put it in joint account. I dont want anything i just need get rid off her. Anyways I just want to ask I have green card. Would it be effect on my citizenship? And how much amount I have to pay to my daughter expense? I am going to back home for some time to get some peace and rest i am affaird if she filed a case what i do? And I cannot afford lawyers fee. Please suggest I really need help.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline
  1. Go for counselling at least.
  2. You have a GC, if 1 above fails, file divorce and move on. Noone can take your GC away apart from immigration judge.

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
11 minutes ago, Yoyo123 said:

Anyways I just want to ask I have green card. Would it be effect on my citizenship? And how much amount I have to pay to my daughter expense?

Assuming that you have a two-year conditional green card, you can file for removal conditions (I-751) with a divorce waiver.  So if you eventually divorce, it should not negatively impact your eligibility for naturalization, other than the fact that you will have to wait five years since the date on your green card.  A divorce will most likely cost more than just attorney fees, depending on your state law you may have to pay alimony and also child support.  I suggest that you get a better-paying job or a second job to be able to pay for everything.  Good luck!

Edited by carmel34

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
12 minutes ago, Yoyo123 said:

Would it be effect on my citizenship? And how much amount I have to pay to my daughter expense?

When you apply for citizenship that you are providing child support according to the agreement approved by the family court.

Not knowing your state of residence, your income, or your wife's income I cannot predict how much child support you will owe. Most states use the "Income Shares Model". If the state determines that it costs $1000 / month to raise your daughter, and you earn $75,000 a year and your wife earns $25,000, then you would pay $750 / month. If you have joint custody, the number of days per month your daughter lives with you could reduce your portion.

12 minutes ago, Yoyo123 said:

I am going to back home for some time to get some peace and rest i am affaird if she filed a case what i do?

And I cannot afford lawyers fee. Please suggest I really need help.

Looks like it will be a contentious divorce. If you are afraid of her filing for divorce while you are gone and can't afford a lawyer, you probable can't afford trip outside the U.S. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Ongoing threads have been merged.

Edited by TBoneTX

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

• TBoneTX changed the title to Marriage problem [merged threads]

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.