spikes746

My Experience With I-601 Vaccine Exemption on Religious Grounds

32 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

We have had quite a few I 601 Vaccine here, never heard of one being refused.

Interesting that it seems the officer at the interview was the one who decided, did not realise that was how it was done.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Some noncontributory posts have been removed.  Please take political or other such discussion to the appropriate thread in the Current Events forum.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

3 hours ago, Boiler said:

We have had quite a few I 601 Vaccine here, never heard of one being refused.

Interesting that it seems the officer at the interview was the one who decided, did not realise that was how it was done.

It may make a difference if it is AOS or consular processing and may be very much at the discretion of the interviewer, but I-601 is not a sure thing. 

Wife and Stepdaughter                                                                            

• December 17, 2020:  Married in Costa Rica
  • March 08, 2021: Filed l-130s Online
  • March 09, 2021: NOA1
  • April 26, 2021: NOA2, I-130s Approved
  • April 30, 2021: NVC Received
  • May 01, 2021: Pay AOS and IV Bills
  • May 06, 2021: Submit AOS, Financial Docs and DS-260s
  • May 14, 2021: Submit Civil Docs for Stepdaughter
  • May 21, 2021: Submit Civil Docs for Wife
  • June 25, 2021: NVC review for Stepdaughter, RFE submit additional Doc
  • July 08, 2021: Wife Documentarily Qualified by NVC
  • August 31, 2021: Stepdaughter Documentarily Qualified by NVC
  • September 15, 2021: Received Interview Date from NVC, October 05, 2021
  • September 22, 2021: Passed physicals at Saint Luke's Extension Clinic
  • October 05, 2021: Interview at US Embassy Manila. Verbally approved by US Consul. Positive interview experience.
  • October 05, 2021: CEAC status changed to "Issued"
  • October 07, 2021: Passports tracking for delivery on 2GO Courier website
  • October 08, 2021: Passports with visas delivered.  "Visas on hand"
  • October 08, 2021: Paid Immigrant Fee
  • October 12, 2021: Temporary CFO Certificates Received
  • October 26, 2021 POE arrival at LAX
  • November 02, 2021 Social Security Cards arrive in mail
  • January 31, 2022: USCIS Status changed to "Card Is Being Produced"
  • February 04, 2022: USCIS Status changed to "Card Was Mailed To Me"
  • February 07, 2022: Green cards received. 

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Malaysia
Timeline
On 1/13/2023 at 3:52 PM, spikes746 said:

I just wanted to write up a quick report of my experience applying for a vaccine exemption on religious grounds as when I was filing it in early 2021 there was little to no information on personal experiences with this particular waiver.

I filed I-601 simply by completing the provided lines for explanation with a summary of my religious beliefs and why, in no uncertain terms, getting a vaccination would be a contradiction of my religious convictions.

I also had as many friends and family as I could, write signed and dated letters attesting to the fact that they know me to hold this conviction/belief and sent those along with my I-601 filing.

I was filing for AOS and not K1 and so did not go through the waiver in a embassy interview process.

I heard nothing on my I-601, other than a notice of receipt, until my AOS interview. At the very end of my interview, my interviewer brought up the subject matter of the I-601. He said that I had been in the Army and so as he was prior military knows that I must have got lots of vaccines (I did before I came to faith in God) and so it seemed like a tough sell to him. I told him that on my medical records from the Army that I provided with my AOS medical paperwork, there is record of me declining a vaccine after the date I came to faith in God. He said that was good enough for him and approved my I-601.

I know that is not a lot of information and so if anyone has any questions, please feel free to ask.

Thank you so much for sharing your experience!!!  

• 2 months later...
Timeline

I just wanted to write up a quick report of my experience applying for a vaccine exemption on religious grounds as when I was filing it in early 2021 there was little to no information on personal experiences with this particular waiver.

I filed I-601 simply by completing the provided lines for explanation with a summary of my religious beliefs and why, in no uncertain terms, getting a vaccination would be a contradiction of my religious convictions.

I also had as many friends and family as I could, write signed and dated letters attesting to the fact that they know me to hold this conviction/belief and sent those along with my I-601 filing.

I was filing for AOS and not K1 and so did not go through the waiver in a embassy interview process.

I heard nothing on my I-601, other than a notice of receipt, until my AOS interview. At the very end of my interview, my interviewer brought up the subject matter of the I-601. He said that I had been in the Army and so as he was prior military knows that I must have got lots of vaccines (I did before I came to faith in God) and so it seemed like a tough sell to him. I told him that on my medical records from the Army that I provided with my AOS medical paperwork, there is record of me declining a vaccine after the date I came to faith in God. He said that was good enough for him and approved my I-601.

I know that is not a lot of information and so if anyone has any questions, please feel free to ask.

How did you enter the US without being vaxxed for COVID? Also, if you entered on a K1 visa, how did you get past the requirement to show proof of COVID vaccination before the medical check up? 

6 minutes ago, AJeane said:

How did you enter the US without being vaxxed for COVID? Also, if you entered on a K1 visa, how did you get past the requirement to show proof of COVID vaccination before the medical check up? 

I entered the US in August 2020, the vaccine wasn't available till Jan 2021 and the travel restriction till after that.

I am unsure if the vaccine requirement for entry to the US may or may not still affect those entering on K1.

The good news is that the state of emergency has ended and HR185 is in the US congress to remove the restriction.

Timeline
35 minutes ago, spikes746 said:

I entered the US in August 2020, the vaccine wasn't available till Jan 2021 and the travel restriction till after that.

I am unsure if the vaccine requirement for entry to the US may or may not still affect those entering on K1.

The good news is that the state of emergency has ended and HR185 is in the US congress to remove the restriction.

Thanks for your reply! Yes, hopefully they remove the restriction soon. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/12/2023 at 11:15 AM, AJeane said:

I thought there was a box the doctor could check that claimed the beneficiary refused vaccination at that time. And that immigrant visa travelers were exempt from the vaccination requirement to fly. Will my fiancé need to be vaccinated before the medical interview? I can't find any information on that online.

• 1 month later...
Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Thank you for sharing your experience. Can I ask how many family and friends letter you sent in along with your affidavit? We are in the process for my husband and trying to decide how many friends/family we should ask to write. Thank you!

11 hours ago, americanlegal said:

Thank you for sharing your experience. Can I ask how many family and friends letter you sent in along with your affidavit? We are in the process for my husband and trying to decide how many friends/family we should ask to write. Thank you!

I will send you the answer to your question in a private message.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, I know this is an old thread, but I’m wondering if you can answer a question for me. I am applying for AOS. I just completed my medical last week and will be applying for the I-601 (religious exemption for all vaccines). Can I send the I-601 in before my interview? Or do I have to wait until after? I am confused because when I Google it, it says I must wait until after my interview to send the I-601 in. I just want to make sure I do it right. Thank you!

1 hour ago, MichelleD1987 said:

Hello, I know this is an old thread, but I’m wondering if you can answer a question for me. I am applying for AOS. I just completed my medical last week and will be applying for the I-601 (religious exemption for all vaccines). Can I send the I-601 in before my interview? Or do I have to wait until after? I am confused because when I Google it, it says I must wait until after my interview to send the I-601 in. I just want to make sure I do it right. Thank you!

I cannot speak to your situation. I filed my I-601 at the same time I filed my I-130, I-485 and I-693.

• 1 month later...

Hello @spikes746, thank you so much for taking time to write this post. I am about to file my AOS and will also be filing a Vaccine Exemption on Religious Grounds, so I was excited when I came across this post. Please would you be willing to send me a private message containing more information about your application? I would like to hear more about the contents of your filing and the attestation letters from friends and family (as much as you are willing to share ofcourse).  Thank you.

1 hour ago, Eric32d said:

Hello @spikes746, thank you so much for taking time to write this post. I am about to file my AOS and will also be filing a Vaccine Exemption on Religious Grounds, so I was excited when I came across this post. Please would you be willing to send me a private message containing more information about your application? I would like to hear more about the contents of your filing and the attestation letters from friends and family (as much as you are willing to share ofcourse).  Thank you.

Will do

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.