MarkNLu

Can I accompany my Fiancee during her K-1 Interview?

5 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Costa Rica
Timeline

Good Morning, 

My first post here, I'm wondering, if, when my fiancee gets her interview date, I can visit her in her country and accompany her during the interview.

I'm in the military, and a fellow servicemember from Honduras told me he actually went into the interview with his wife and kids to get their visas. He even pre-bought plane tickets for them, before he knew the results of the interview.

Little background (you can probably see it already in the timeline): My Fiancee is from Costa Rica, we got our NOA1 on 19 Nov 2021, and have heard nothing since.

The Processing times have been going up as the months progress (15.5 months now, was 13.5 months August last year, and around 12 months a few months before)

Anyways, to me, it seems like a good sign to the interviewer if they actually see us together in person.

The only tricky part will be scheduling the leave on a moments notice when we get the interview date (and plane tickets, etc.).

Thanks in advance for your assistance!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

Whether or not you can attend the interview is completely dependent on individual consulate policy.  It is beneficial for you to be there, even if you are waiting outside.  Do NOT purchase book air tickets until the visa is in hand and has been checked for errors.  Good luck!!

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

11 minutes ago, MarkNLu said:

My first post here, I'm wondering, if, when my fiancee gets her interview date, I can visit her in her country and accompany her during the interview.

Welcome to VJ!  It would depend on the consulate's policy at the time of the interview, if they will let you accompany your fiancee.  Whether you will be allowed in or not, it will benefit her case for you to be in her country at that time.  In case you are not let in to the consulate, you should have her bring your actual US passport to present to the consul officer and say that you are waiting outside for her.  It's good evidence of bona fide relationship that you are physically present there.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Costa Rica
Timeline

Thanks Crazy Cat. Seems like this is a good plan then, even if I have to wait outside. Thank you for your service btw. I only have 8 years left till my 20 year Mark!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.