CountryBoy

K-1 and K-2 AOS Filing questions

5 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Mylene and Ashley arrived last Monday.. woohoo

we got married on Wednesday, got their immunizations on Thursday and finally their I-693 from the civil surgeon on Friday.

I'm not sure of the process to file 2 forms together...

Do I send the applications for AOS in 2 separate envelopes with 2 separate checks? Should I include the 2 envelopes in one document mailer to the USCIS? Do I fill out complete applications for both? Has the service centers for the filing of AOS changed as it has for the filing of visa petitions?

The current fee schedule says that Mylene's (k-1) fee will be $395 (aos and biometrics) and Ashley's (k-2) fee will be $225 (aos, no biometrics).. to get this rate before the July 30, 2007 fee increase does this mean that the center would have to give NOA-1 on or before that date?

If Mylene isn't planning on working or traveling while her application is being processed is there a reason for her to file forms I-765 and I-131? When her application is approved and she receives her green card, can she work and travel with it?

Where would I find the "A Number"? Is it the one printed on their visas (A 88 ***etc.)?

Thank You,

CB

Donnie and Sylvia

Their A numbers may or may not have been written on their I-94. My A number is on my I-94, but prior to that I found my A number on the NOA2 received by my fiancée.

To "get" the current prices, and not the higher ones as of July 30th,, you simply have to file (= get your package in the mail) before July 30th. AFAIK the latest date to do that is the 28th.

There is no reason for her to file for EAD and AP if she has no plan of working or traveling, and yes of course as soon as her green card arrives, she will be allowed to work and travel.

I think it cannot hurt to file for AP (I-131) just in case something happens at her home that requires immediate attention, such as the death of a relative, but I guess it's useless to file for EAD in your case.

Timeline:

2005-04-14: met online

2005-09-03: met in person

2007-02-26: filed for K-1

2007-03-19: K-1 approved

2007-06-11: K-1 in hand

2007-07-03: arrived in USA

2007-07-21: got married, yay!

2007-07-28: applied for green card

2008-02-19: conditional green card in hand

2010-01-05: applied for removal of conditions

2010-06-14: 10-year green card in hand

2013-11-19: applied for US citizenship

2014-02-10: became a US citizen

2014-02-22: applied for US passport

2014-03-14: received US passport

Do I send the applications for AOS in 2 separate envelopes with 2 separate checks? Should I include the 2 envelopes in one document mailer to the USCIS? Do I fill out complete applications for both? Has the service centers for the filing of AOS changed as it has for the filing of visa petitions?

You can mail both applications in the same envelope. they require separate applications. a G-325a is not required for a child under the age of 14. Yes include a separate check for each application. as of now, you still mail to Chicago lockbox for family based applications.

The current fee schedule says that Mylene's (k-1) fee will be $395 (aos and biometrics) and Ashley's (k-2) fee will be $225 (aos, no biometrics).. to get this rate before the July 30, 2007 fee increase does this mean that the center would have to give NOA-1 on or before that date?

you just need to have postmarked BEFORE july 30th to avoid the fee increase. you have the fees correct. NO fee for biometrics for child under the age of 14, but you may receive a biometrics appointment for the child for photo and one fingerprint.

US Embassy Manila website. bringing your spouse/fiancee to USA

http://manila.usembassy.gov/wwwh3204.html

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I made two folders for AOS. One for myself and one for my son.

I put the fees for AOD and EAD in each of our folders.

I then mailed both AOS in one envelope.

PEGGY & ROGER

3dflagsdotcom_canad_2fawm.gif3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fawm.gif

K-1/K-2 VISA'S APPROVED IN MONTREAL MAY 2, 2005

K-1/K-2 AOS APPROVED IN ATLANTA MAY 17, 2006

10 year GC Approved - APRIL 16th ,2009 - Peggy and Jonathan's......

Still waiting for our cards...Had to file I-90 as they sent them to the wrong address.

March 9th, 2010, Received GC that has been lost in the mail for 10 months. Still waiting for my son's that is lost as well.

Filed Waiver for my son's 10 year GC and it was approved. He finally received his GC after its been missing for 2 years.

Thanking God this is over for 10 years.

what i did is have a main envelope inside of which i pack every form separetly (each with a check).

as every person gets a file case number, if you send it all together USCIS might get confused or mix papers or loose some. and same with making just one payment. its better to keep things separated.

in order NOT to pay the new fee, you need to send the papers asap, as the date that counts for USCIS is the date someone process tha papers (for example i send mine on the 16 but it was until the 23 that someone actually got the papers and made the NOA1), all this vary with the bulk of papers they will be processing before you so if i were you i would send papers this coming week.

if your wife wont get out of the country or work in long term, i wouldnt send the papers for the AP or EAD (by long term you have to take in consideration in some cases USCIS has taken up to 2 years to give someone a green card, of course in some cases too, USCIS misteriously gaves green cards BEFORE even granting the EAD or AP! in which cases they just lost the money to put it on a nice way (think of it as lotto, you pay for it but you dont really know if your case will process fast or slow)

with the green card she wont need EAD or AP so will be free to travel n work (altho they say if she plans to stay outside of US for more than a year she will need an AP BEFORE she gets out of the country). AP is to travel outside US when papers still in process (lets say an emergency and she needs to RUN out of US)

A number is on the FIANCEE aproval that they gave you before her K1 visa was granted, in my case the officer also put it on my passport where the I-94 is.

According to Phoenix Processing office they will take 5 months to process, lets see if they keep their "promised schedule".. (hahaha yeah right)

08/02/2010 ... Send the paperwork to Phoenix, AZ

08/04/2010 ... Paperwork received at 9am

08/06/2010 ... Check cashed

08/10/2010 ... Touched

08/12/2010 ... NOA arrived (notice date: 08/06/2010; mailed on 08/09/2010)

09/04/2010 ... email: RFE sent on 09/03/2010 (biometrics?? hopefully waiting!)

09/08/2010 ... Touched. BIOMETRICS CAME TODAY! (notice date/mailed on: 09/03/2010; biometrics for 09/22/2010 at 11 a.m.)

.......................... Interview notice date: Oct 1, 2010

11/03/2010 ... Interview 11 am!! (PASSED!!!!)

12/30/2010 ... Oath notice (dated 12/22/2010, mailed on 12/29/2010) for 01/20/2011 at 8am!! FINALLY!!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.