teeDteeWhy

NEXT PHASE BEFORE 90 DAYS ENTRY VALIDITY

20 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Hi Good morning,

Pls I need some useful information, I arrived in South Carolina on K1 visa on Wednesday the 28th of this month which is 2 days ago.

I have from now till march 27th 2023 to get married but my fiancé insisted that we go for our court wedding next week Monday which is few days after my arrival

so that we can have our marriage license and to begin processing other things while we have plans to have our wedding celebration with friends and families in 1st week of march 2023.

My questions are:

1. Is it not too early for us to have our court wedding on Monday which is few days after I arrived ?

2. If it is okay to go ahead, what forms and documents do we need to put together for AOS, WORK AUTHORIZATION, AND MORE.

3. How many forms do we have to submit at ones to save time and money and what are the requirements ?

4. I was not given I-94 at the port of entry, how do I go about that ?

5. Lastly, my family will not be available to witness for the court wedding but will be available for our wedding celebration in march 2023, is my fiancé two kids enough to witness for us on our court wedding?

Your advice will be greatly appreciated.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

1. 🤔

2. There's a guides section on top right of page. It has all you need. 

3. See 2 above. 

4. Online. Google I-94 

5. Nobody is required to witness anything. By such, anyone can be a witness, friends, kids, colleagues. 

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

~~ Topic moved from K1 forum to AOS K1 visas the this is not post K1 arrival in the US ~~

Your fiancé is absolutely right: get married asap and start the paperwork right away. The sooner the better. Monday January 2 2023 is a federal holiday so I don’t think the court house will be open. Please check with them 

before anything though (and this is critical in making your life in the US much easier) -  go to SSA office ASAP and get an SSN before the window of opportunity runs out. The window is 76 days of the 90 but really, you should go asap 

follow the guide below for the forms:

I-94s have been online for several years now.

Edited by powerpuff

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline

Go to SSA today and before you get married to apply for your social security number. 

Having that SSN  in hand will make so much of your life easier.

Read 

https://www.visajourney.com/guides/k1-fiance-visa-flowchart/

https://www.visajourney.com/guides/adjustment-of-status-k1-k3-visas/

Get your state  ID or drivers license before day 30

Before getting married at the court house verify that you can get your marriage certificate in less than a week. If you can’t then get married in Vegas or do Utah zoom wedding. 

The fact he plans to go Monday  when it is a holiday suggests to me that there are problems with the planning. Do you  have a marriage license? Generally you need a license some  days before you can be married though Nevada is one exception 

Edited by Mike E

Timeline
5 hours ago, Mike E said:

Go to SSA today and before you get married to apply for your social security number. 

Having that SSN  in hand will make so much of your life easier.

Read 

https://www.visajourney.com/guides/k1-fiance-visa-flowchart/

https://www.visajourney.com/guides/adjustment-of-status-k1-k3-visas/

Get your state  ID or drivers license before day 30

Before getting married at the court house verify that you can get your marriage certificate in less than a week. If you can’t then get married in Vegas or do Utah zoom wedding. 

The fact he plans to go Monday  when it is a holiday suggests to me that there are problems with the planning. Do you  have a marriage license? Generally you need a license some  days before you can be married though Nevada is one exception 

I couldn't make it to the SSA today, We don't have marriage license yet as our court wedding is coming up by monday. 

But i will see if i can go to ssa first thing on monday morning to apply for social security before we proceed to the court.

We were told we would be getting our marriage license the next day after our court wedding, pls what is the next thing to do after we get the license.

It’s a federal holiday in Monday. Nothing will be working.

3 minutes ago, teeDteeWhy said:

We were told we would be getting our marriage license the next day after our court wedding, pls what is the next thing to do after we get the license.

You need a marriage license in order to get married (unless it’s Nevada). There’s a 24 hour period that you just wait after getting a marriage license to be able to actually get married. 

Timeline
55 minutes ago, powerpuff said:

It’s a federal holiday in Monday. Nothing will be working.

You need a marriage license in order to get married (unless it’s Nevada). There’s a 24 hour period that you just wait after getting a marriage license to be able to actually get married. 

We planned to the court house and get married at the court so that we can pick up our marriage license the next day, with this are we legally married with the marriage license or not ?

Or is there any other marriage we have to do after the court wedding to make us legally married ?

How do i go about the marriage license if your thoughts are different from mine ?

5 minutes ago, teeDteeWhy said:

We planned to the court house and get married at the court so that we can pick up our marriage license the next day, with this are we legally married with the marriage license or not ?

Or is there any other marriage we have to do after the court wedding to make us legally married ?

How do i go about the marriage license if your thoughts are different from mine ?

You cannot get married without first getting a marriage license…… you are not legally married with a marriage license. You must get the marriage license before actually legally being able to marry. After you get married, you get a marriage certificate 

Edited by powerpuff

Timeline
1 minute ago, powerpuff said:

You cannot get married without first getting a marriage license…… you are not legally married with a marriage license. You must get the marriage license before actually legally being able to marry. After you get married, you get a marriage certificate 

Okay thanks, so it is after we get married and get our marriage certificate that we can start filing AOS, AP and the rest right ?

Just now, teeDteeWhy said:

Okay thanks, so it is after we get married and get our marriage certificate that we can start filing AOS, AP and the rest right ?

Yes, that’s correct. Do not send an original, a simple photocopy will suffice. Also while you’re at the courthouse or clerks office, ask for certified copies so you have them available for yourself and keep the original safely stored. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

Ok here's the plan. January 2nd is a federal holiday so nothing will happen on Monday.

Tuesday morning you start your day at the SSA office to apply for your SSN. You'll need your passport, birth certificate and the I-94 that you can print out online.

After that you go to the county clerk to apply for the marriage license. You'll need your passport and birth certificate ( your local clerk should have information about what exactly is needed online). They'll also tell you if there's a waiting period and where to go/ call to ask when a judge is available to get you married at court. Also ask the clerk how long it will take to get your marriage certificate. Sometimes the judge will hand you the paperwork and you can bring it back to the clerk in person. They can instantly get you certified copies before sending everything in. Ask for about five copies so you have enough on hand.

Edited by Letspaintcookies

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
30 minutes ago, Letspaintcookies said:

Also ask the clerk how long it will take to get your marriage certificate

If it is more than week,  walk away and do this instead:

https://www.utahcounty.gov/dept/clerkaud/PassMarr/RemoteAppearanceFAQ.asp

Edited by Mike E

Timeline
1 hour ago, Letspaintcookies said:

Ok here's the plan. January 2nd is a federal holiday so nothing will happen on Monday.

Tuesday morning you start your day at the SSA office to apply for your SSN. You'll need your passport, birth certificate and the I-94 that you can print out online.

After that you go to the county clerk to apply for the marriage license. You'll need your passport and birth certificate ( your local clerk should have information about what exactly is needed online). They'll also tell you if there's a waiting period and where to go/ call to ask when a judge is available to get you married at court. Also ask the clerk how long it will take to get your marriage certificate. Sometimes the judge will hand you the paperwork and you can bring it back to the clerk in person. They can instantly get you certified copies before sending everything in. Ask for about five copies so you have enough on hand.

Thanks for the information, if any of my family is not present to witness our marriage in court I hope it wont be a problem and what are the forms do i need to file after we get our marriage certificate ?

Timeline
2 hours ago, Mike E said:

Apply for SSN before getting married 

Okay thanks 

2 hours ago, powerpuff said:

Yes, that’s correct. Do not send an original, a simple photocopy will suffice. Also while you’re at the courthouse or clerks office, ask for certified copies so you have them available for yourself and keep the original safely stored. 

Okay thanks.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.