frankjhen01

RFE - Needs I-94 Arrival/Departure (merged)

50 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline
3 hours ago, frankjhen01 said:

they will be refunding us the $1225

Oh wow. This would be a first. 
I want to be hopeful for you, but as per USCIS policies, they don’t issue refunds especially when it was your mistake. 
You spoke to a tier 1 officer, who are contractors and basically call agents. I’d take it with a grain of salt, but please do update us when you come back from the office!

FROM F1 TO AOS

October 17, 2019 AOS receipt date 

December 09, 2019: Biometric appointment

January 15, 2020 RFE received

January 30, 2020  RFE response sent

Feb 7: EAD approved and interview scheduled

March 18, 2020 Interview cancelled

April 14th 2020: RFE received

April 29, 2020 Approved without interview

May 1, 2020 Card in hand

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

February 1, 2022 package sent

March 28, 2022 Fingerprints reused

July 18, 2023 approval

July 20, 2023 Card in hand

N400 

January 30,2023: Online filing

February 4th, 2023: Biometric appointment

June 15th, 2023: Case actively being reviewed

July 11th, 2023: Interview scheduled.

August 30th, 2023: Interview!

August 31st, 2023: Oath ceremony scheduled.

Sept 19th, 2023: Officially a US citizen!

Timeline
3 hours ago, frankjhen01 said:

Thank you all for the quick responses, i was able to talk to someone at USCIS yesterday, they informed me that yes we made a mistake for filling I-485 but when I was reading the NOA for the approved I-130, they will be refunding us the $1225, he also made us an appointment for Today  12/28/2022 at the USCIS office here so we can go ahead and submit I-824, my father in law filled out I-824 and faxed it to us, and finished it. Again thank you all

Wait, why would they want you to go in person to fill out a form? USCIS doesn’t do that. You file your forms and then mail them. Because those forms do not go straight to the FO. Did you ask them why you need to go in person? 

FROM F1 TO AOS

May 1, 2020 Card in hand

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

July 18, 2023 approval

N400 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline
50 minutes ago, Rocio0010 said:

Oh wow. This would be a first. 
I want to be hopeful for you, but as per USCIS policies, they don’t issue refunds especially when it was your mistake. 
You spoke to a tier 1 officer, who are contractors and basically call agents. I’d take it with a grain of salt, but please do update us when you come back from the office!

I usually would say that will only happen when hell freezes over but it was pretty cold the last weekend soooo... 😉

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
37 minutes ago, Rocio0010 said:

Wait, why would they want you to go in person to fill out a form? USCIS doesn’t do that. You file your forms and then mail them. Because those forms do not go straight to the FO. Did you ask them why you need to go in 

38 minutes ago, Rocio0010 said:

Wait, why would they want you to go in person to fill out a form? USCIS doesn’t do that. You file your forms and then mail them. Because those forms do not go straight to the FO. Did you ask them why you need to go in person? 

We just walked out USCIS Office, explained to her what i told everyone here, we gave her a letter withdrawing form i 485, then gave us a letter explaining the refund process, also gave her the new form i-824, reviewed it and sealed it, gave us a letter that they have the form and said just wait for letter in the mail for interview date.

2 minutes ago, Letspaintcookies said:

I usually would say that will only happen when hell freezes over but it was pretty cold the last weekend soooo... 😉

I don’t know but as soon as i get the refund i would post it here for everyone.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
57 minutes ago, davidvs said:

FYI.. I-824 took us well over a year to get processed and probably another 3 months to have the file actually sent to NVC.

You will be waiting a long time.

Thats fine, we are not in a hurry, we just doing everything as it comes day by day, and i think cases are different from each others 

Timeline
7 minutes ago, frankjhen01 said:

I don’t know but as soon as i get the refund i would post it here for everyone.

Welll that’s a first. Congrats!

FROM F1 TO AOS

May 1, 2020 Card in hand

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

July 18, 2023 approval

N400 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

We just walked out USCIS Office, explained to her what i told everyone here, we gave her a letter withdrawing form i 485, then gave us a letter explaining the refund process, also gave her the new form i-824, reviewed it and sealed it, gave us a letter that they have the form and said just wait for letter in the mail for interview date.

It does not work like that... File will now need to be transferred to NVC (+/- 1 year) then beneficiary/petitioner will need to complete personal and financial info, which will get them documentary qualified (DQ) (several weeks to months) then NVC will send to Manila for scheduling an interview (no idea what the wait time is for Manila).  

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Whom did you speak with at the field office? 

Do you mind posting that refund process letter you got? I honestly don't believe this. And I still won't believe it till that $$$ hits your account. You know everything is controlled from USCIS intake centers. 

If I were you, I'd mail that I-824. I've never seen FO taking applications. You don't want to be hit with "We didn't receive your application" 2 years from now. So, just mail it in. Won't cost you more than $5 USPS and you'll have peace of mind. 

Edited by Timona

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

Timeline
37 minutes ago, Timona said:

Whom did you speak with at the field office? 

Do you mind posting that refund process letter you got? I honestly don't believe this. And I still won't believe it till that $$$ hits your account. You know everything is controlled from USCIS intake centers. 

If I were you, I'd mail that I-824. I've never seen FO taking applications. You don't want to be hit with "We didn't receive your application" 2 years from now. So, just mail it in. Won't cost you more than $5 USPS and you'll have peace of mind. 

Field offices do take certain applications so it's not a complete no-go. Don't get me wrong I'm super surprised too about how this story evolves but it's pretty interesting. 

Timeline

Can you post the letter they gave you? It’s hard to believe. It is stated in their own policy manual on page 23

FROM F1 TO AOS

May 1, 2020 Card in hand

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

July 18, 2023 approval

N400 

10 hours ago, frankjhen01 said:

Thank you all for the quick responses, i was able to talk to someone at USCIS yesterday, they informed me that yes we made a mistake for filling I-485 but when I was reading the NOA for the approved I-130, they will be refunding us the $1225, he also made us an appointment for Today  12/28/2022 at the USCIS office here so we can go ahead and submit I-824, my father in law filled out I-824 and faxed it to us, and finished it. Again thank you all

Fantastic news.  If this works out you’re the first I’ve seen in more than 15 years here that was able to get this fixed and refunded like this.  I hope things work out.

6 hours ago, frankjhen01 said:

Thats fine, we are not in a hurry, we just doing everything as it comes day by day, and i think cases are different from each others 

No your case really got messed up.  I see how it happened, kind of felt bad for you folks.  

Timeline

I found this. Super old but best I could find. Maybe what OP got was only an explanation that they gonna check his request for a refund and not an actual 'refund approved, expect your money in x days'.

https://www.dhs.gov/uscis-refunds-how-process-working-you-questions-cis-ombudsmans-teleconference-january-31-2008

OP you can see, we're all baffled 😁

Timeline
22 minutes ago, Letspaintcookies said:

I found this. Super old but best I could find. Maybe what OP got was only an explanation that they gonna check his request for a refund and not an actual 'refund approved, expect your money in x days'.

https://www.dhs.gov/uscis-refunds-how-process-working-you-questions-cis-ombudsmans-teleconference-january-31-2008

OP you can see, we're all baffled 😁

I saw that before I posted the link to the manual. That is why I asked OP to post the letter. It's really hard to believe.

FROM F1 TO AOS

May 1, 2020 Card in hand

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

July 18, 2023 approval

N400 

Timeline
On 12/27/2022 at 7:04 PM, frankjhen01 said:

Thank you

No

OP, we kindly asked you to post a picture of the letter. As we said, this would be a first and it would really help others in the same situation. 
Can you please post the letter where they explained the refund process?

FROM F1 TO AOS

May 1, 2020 Card in hand

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

July 18, 2023 approval

N400 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.