Not today

How to File writ of Mandamus for k1 process

35 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Italy
Timeline

Hello,

I applied for k-1 visa for my fiance since march 2021, we got approved by uscis In march 2022. my fiance got his interview done the following month, Unfortunately he was required to fill the ds5535 form. We turn that in on May 2nd. Supposedly we were to receive an answer in max 60 days. But all up to now we haven t receive anything. It has been a long wait! I would like to file    for Writ of Mandamus. Do I only need an attorney? Or can I do it myself? Any tips to help me? 
Can someone who filed WOM share me his expeience? TIA

Timeline
1 minute ago, Lil bear said:

Also it forces a decision which cannot be appealed. The delay is caused by incomplete background checking which is still to be resolved. Filing WoM wont cause the background check to be finished.. and if it is still incomplete when the WoM makes it to court then your application will be denied. Finished. If you wait it out you can still get a positive outcome. Just be aware of the risk  

Oh wow! I never thought of a bad side of this act. I heard some people apply for it and got positive and quick return. I never thought It wouldn t speed up the process or worse increase your chances to be denied.😞 It is so frustrating to be waiting over almost 9 months already. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
1 minute ago, Not today said:

Oh wow! I never thought of a bad side of this act. I heard some people apply for it and got positive and quick return. I never thought It wouldn t speed up the process or worse increase your chances to be denied.😞 It is so frustrating to be waiting over almost 9 months already. 

Many have unfortunately waited longer  

Timeline
1 minute ago, Not today said:

Have u heard of someone been denied after wom? Sorry, i m just desperate.

There have been posted threads regarding this .. do a  search on this site using key words 

Timeline
19 minutes ago, Not today said:

Have u heard of someone been denied after wom? Sorry, i m just desperate.

There have been posted threads regarding this .. do a  search on this site using key words 

Timeline
20 minutes ago, Lil bear said:

I have seen a lot from Canada but nothing else

3 minutes ago, Lil bear said:

Got you. 

Timeline

Well! It wouldn t be fair to just denied an uncompleted case just because they are under pressure of giving a response within a timeframe. And really unfair for who hires an attorney paying thousands of dollars

Timeline
36 minutes ago, Lil bear said:

Fairness has nothing to do with it.

Its why you need to know the consequences of what you are doing before you do it.

The law and intent of WOM is very clearly stated. It is to force /require a decision ..  but it does NOT require the process to be “ expedited” or pushed through 

I used to use the same reasoning with my kids ( now in their 40s)   They would want my decision now.   I would offer them this 

“ If you want my answer now, it will be No.. if you are prepared to wait until i am ready to decide, it might be Yes.” 
They always chose to wait   Clever wise bunnies 🤪

Thank u for your response. I guess I need to think wisely before jumping into that. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

The issue is that you went the K1 route and they have a limited time line which has in the past been used to get around the WoM, I do not know current practice.

CR1 and I would be saying in general go for it.

The particulars of your case may be relevant, something to discuss with a Lawyer, I think Hacking is up to 1400, nice money for a Lawyer.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline
13 hours ago, Not today said:

. I never thought It wouldn t speed up the process or worse increase your chances to be denied

If these were the only outcomes, more people would go for it, don’t you think? 
As @Lil bear has rightfully explained, you are forcing them to make a decision with what they have. I know it seems a lot to you and it probably is, but people on a K1 have been waiting for longer than 9 months 

FROM F1 TO AOS

October 17, 2019 AOS receipt date 

December 09, 2019: Biometric appointment

January 15, 2020 RFE received

January 30, 2020  RFE response sent

Feb 7: EAD approved and interview scheduled

March 18, 2020 Interview cancelled

April 14th 2020: RFE received

April 29, 2020 Approved without interview

May 1, 2020 Card in hand

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

February 1, 2022 package sent

March 28, 2022 Fingerprints reused

July 18, 2023 approval

July 20, 2023 Card in hand

N400 

January 30,2023: Online filing

February 4th, 2023: Biometric appointment

June 15th, 2023: Case actively being reviewed

July 11th, 2023: Interview scheduled.

August 30th, 2023: Interview!

August 31st, 2023: Oath ceremony scheduled.

Sept 19th, 2023: Officially a US citizen!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

They pull their finger out and action the file, or they explain to the Court why they can not.

In this case it will be nearly a year after receiving the DS 5535, so of course there could be something unusual in this case, who knows. Essentially a WoM is a kick in the backside button.

Do not recollect anybody who has posted on here not being approved after submitting a DS 5535?, but I certainly do not read every post.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.