Hopepost

Previous sputum in SLEC: Medical Exam (again) weeks upon entry to US?

6 posts in this topic

Filed: F-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi!

My my visa has annotation that says:

"212 (g)(2)(B) Class A or B (TB) Req. ATTN of USPHS at POE

IV docs in CCD

Upon endorsement serves as temporary I-551 evidencing permanent residence for 1 year"

I read that upon entry to US, one will receive a notice from the county health office for an appointment. What are the medical tests to be conducted? Will there be a 3 consecutive sputum collection again? 

Thanks.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
39 minutes ago, Hopepost said:

Hi!

My my visa has annotation that says:

"212 (g)(2)(B) Class A or B (TB) Req. ATTN of USPHS at POE

IV docs in CCD

Upon endorsement serves as temporary I-551 evidencing permanent residence for 1 year"

I read that upon entry to US, one will receive a notice from the county health office for an appointment. What are the medical tests to be conducted? Will there be a 3 consecutive sputum collection again? 

Thanks.

Never heard of that.  USCIS handles medical issues via approved medical doctors.

It looks like 212 (g) (2) (B) is a medical waiver  for not receiving all required vaccines.

2 hours ago, SteveInBostonI130 said:

Never heard of that.  USCIS handles medical issues via approved medical doctors.

It looks like 212 (g) (2) (B) is a medical waiver  for not receiving all required vaccines.

It’s the one they use for “not appropriate” which covers everything from “already had it” to vaccines they can’t give at the time such as MMR to an applicant that is expecting

Depends on the county of residence for their health protocols.  Here in Fort Bend County, Texas - my husband has to undergo the sputum tests again, but no biggie, first spit was collected at the health check-up then it was self- collect for the next 2 and you drop it back off to the County health.  He was also sent for X-ray.  No costs, the county shoulders them.   Life goes on.. nothing to worry, if they do not see any medical issues with you, they will not call you back.   A friend from another state, she was only sent for X-ray.  Some others from another state, were not even called at all.

On 12/19/2022 at 8:26 PM, Hopepost said:

As mentioned above, it depends on the state/county.  I was tagged for sputum testing at SLEC and I got the same annotation on my visa that you did.  Within weeks of my US entry, I got a letter from the state health department telling me to report for a check-up.  They provided contact info, and when I called, they set an appointment for me at the nearest state health clinic.  During the check-up, I did a chest x-ray and IGRA blood test.  The state clinic's pulmonologist said my x-ray showed that I definitely don't have active TB, but the blood test confirmed that I had been exposed.  No surprise, as my pulmonologist in the Philippines explained that most Filipinos my age would likely test positive if given IGRA test.  The state doctor prescribed 3-month preventive treatment for TB exposure.  All expenses (tests, doctor's fee, medicines) were covered by the state.

On 12/19/2022 at 9:09 PM, SteveInBostonI130 said:

On 12/19/2022 at 11:49 PM, iwannaplay54 said:

It’s the one they use for “not appropriate” which covers everything from “already had it” to vaccines they can’t give at the time such as MMR to an applicant that is expecting

"212 (g)(2)(B) Class A or B (TB)" is a common visa annotation for immigrants from the Philippines who were tagged for additional TB screening.  Some immigrants (like me and presumably the OP) cleared their 1st medical after sputum culture testing showed no active TB.  Others given that annotation had active TB and completed the 6-month treatment, then cleared their 2nd visa medical.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.