M3gaaan

Lost everything, husband can’t have a relationship.

22 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

So I made a post I think about a week ago saying how me and my husband reconciled; long story short he changed his mind again while I’m still here in the UK trying to recover from before and I have to now again figure out my entire life again. I am just looking for some sort of support because I feel like I’m the only one who’s ever gone through this. I’m only 21 and I moved my whole life for him and was starting to kind of build a life for myself while there. I’m grieving so much and he said that maybe in the future he’d come back to me after he got serious help. But I don’t even know what the future holds. I was going to settle down with him and have a family. That’s all I wanted in life really. Of course I wanted my own life but I didn’t think of the possibility of this happening let alone this quick after marriage. 

Hi @M3gaaan sorry to hear your marriage is falling apart. It's never easy and you may need time to heal.

On a plus side, it's better to go separate ways at the beginning of the marriage rather than 5-10-20-25 years into it. You're still young and have the entire life ahead of you!

By the sound of it, you may be better off filing for divorce sometime soon. Also, it looks like nothing stops you from re-establishing your life in USA if you see yourself having better opportunities in life there.

Good luck!

Timeline
59 minutes ago, OldUser said:

Hi @M3gaaan sorry to hear your marriage is falling apart. It's never easy and you may need time to heal.

On a plus side, it's better to go separate ways at the beginning of the marriage rather than 5-10-20-25 years into it. You're still young and have the entire life ahead of you!

By the sound of it, you may be better off filing for divorce sometime soon. Also, it looks like nothing stops you from re-establishing your life in USA if you see yourself having better opportunities in life there.

Good luck!

He’s looking at filing for it soon; honestly I am probably going to start my life back up in the UK just because there’s a bigger support system here and the only reason I moved to the US was for him. But at the same time I don’t know; I’m not sure. I know that once you show more ties to your home country the green card is basically abandoned especially after 6 months but he did say that if he were to heal he’d try to reconnect with me. I told him I would want him to move here but I do still love the US. I know there’s direct consulate filing if we were to remarry. But it’s all just uncertain. God only knows what’s gonna happen. 😊

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Do you have a GC? If so, is it 2 or 10 years? 

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Then I see no point of you mopping around. 

1. Find an apartment and job in US then come back.

2. While working on 1 above, file divorce. You can do so online. 

You can continue all the way to citizenship with divorce. You already got a GC. It's only an immigration judge that can revoke it. 

You're 21. You're barely learning to float for someone to sink you. 

Edited by Timona

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

Timeline
On 12/13/2022 at 9:04 PM, yoda one for me said:

Oh, honey, I'm so sorry you're being put through this. This one sentence really stood out to me. My dad treated my mum this way - kept her on the hook as a 'backup' for years. She was always wondering if/when he would decided he was 'better' or 'over it' and wanted to start the marriage back up. It never lasted when he did and she ended up in a bad state for a number of years.

You're worth more than being someone's backup. If he's not willing to work on the marriage together, with you, while you're married - through marriage counselling and through individual therapy (for both of you) - then you should consider his decision final and focus on yourself. Build yourself back up. If you feel more comfortable in the UK because of your support network, return to the UK and stay there and pick your life up as best you can. You'll be able to move on if you let yourself. His weakness is not your fault. You didn't fail at this marriage - he gave up on it. You have to look after yourself foremost now. Close the chapter. Sign the divorce papers. Get your confidence back up and you'll meet someone else who wants to make a relationship with you work.

Good luck x

Thank you so much everyone for the support ❤️ it really got me through those days; I know things seem like a rollercoaster but things seem to be looking back up and he promised me that by January I’ll be flying back and we will work things out and ONLY if we go through every option and I have my ten year green card/ life over here that’s when we will divorce. I honestly would prefer to live in the US on my own to be fair because I came to love the country and it feels more like home to me now that I’m back in the UK. I assume everything is fine for me to fly back on my green card; i flew out using my UK passport; but I assume it’s very similar when using your green card. 😊 I can’t wait to be back to the home I made for myself and heres to a future hopefully where we work things out. 😊 

Timeline
18 minutes ago, carmel34 said:

Do what you decide to do, it's your life after all.  Sounds like you still have doubts about the marriage.  This is really more of a marriage and relationship issue than immigration.  If you really love him, go back and try to salvage the marriage.  If it doesn't work out, you can file for divorce, move into your own place anywhere in the US, get a job, and submit the paperwork for a 10-year green card with a divorce waiver.  Or, you could decide to go back to the UK.  I would not stay in a bad marriage thinking that it would be easier to apply for the 10-year green card, because it isn't true.  Start to compile lots of evidence that you entered into the marriage in good faith--shared finances, property, utilities in both names, joint IRS tax return statements, etc.  You have options, do what is best for you.  Good luck!

Oh definitely obviously I’m sure that things will work out; he wants to atleast make it so if it were to happen down the line I wasn’t losing my entire life. But that’s a worst case scenario. Heres hoping it will all work out but I’m sure we can salvage things. 😊 thank you so much everyone again 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Iran
Timeline
1 hour ago, M3gaaan said:

I assume everything is fine for me to fly back on my green card; i flew out using my UK passport; but I assume it’s very similar when using your green card. 😊 I can’t wait to be back to the home I made for myself and heres to a future hopefully where we work things out.

You have a 2-year conditional green card returning to the USA is not an issue, if you return within 180 days (six months) no issue at all. If you return between six months to a year you will be fine to enter the USA, but you have broken the continuous residency requirements for naturalization pushing back when you can file n400. If you are out of the USA more than a year, then you can have issues maintaining your green card, you risk abandoning your LPR status. 

Good luck with your marriage and I hope it all works out well for you.

As for your goal of staying in the USA you have options, you don't need to be married to get the conditions removed from your green card. You will need to file to remove the conditions on your LPR status within 90 days before the expiration of your 2-year green card if you are still married by filing a i751 joint application with evidence of the ongoing bonified marriage (being on lease, joint tax returns, joint bank records, joint bills, joint insurance, photos together and so on) so you need to collect evidence of your good faith married relationship now until you file. 

But you can file to remove the conditions on your LPR yourself by filing an l751 divorce waiver application any time after a divorce is final. There is no time limit to when you can file an i751 waiver application, but you need a final divorce decree to be approved along with good faith marriage proof. So, if your spouse and you do not get back together and you wish to live in the USA you can plan to do that. You just need a divorce decree and bonified marriage evidence proof between the time you got married to when you separated and file an i751 divorce waver case. If you separate you will need to file for divorce quickly as you will need the divorce decree in hand for your immigration case. 

K1 Visa Arrived USA July 2017

Married August 2017

AOS Approved July 2018

Filed for i751 joint application May 2020

Fingerprints reused October 2020, and February 2021 and June 2021 (Yes 3 fingerprint notices)

Case move to National Benefits Center December 2020 for quicker processing from California Service Center

Oct 2021 out of processing time inquiry made, response May 5th 2022 that our i751 case will be addressed at our n400 interview

Combo interview May 16th 2022, in Sacramento

Approved June 08, 2022

Filed for Naturalization May 2021

Fingerprints reused May 2021

Combo interview May 16th 2022, in Sacramento, 

Approved June 08, 2022

Oath Ceremony completed June 29th 2022

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.