SaraClaire11

Opinions & Experiences with ALT Petitioners/Beneficiaries?

15 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

In your experiences do you think being ALT can have any effect on approvals?

By ALT I mean alternative having tattoos, piercings, dyed hair etc... is this something that can be discriminated against during medical exams and or consulate interviews?

Would love to hear your opinions! Thanks!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

I have seen tattoos with connections to some groups/gangs result in a denial.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
3 minutes ago, Crazy Cat said:

I have seen tattoos with connections to some groups/gangs result in a denial.

So have I.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

22 minutes ago, SaraClaire11 said:

By ALT I mean alternative having tattoos, piercings, dyed hair etc... is this something that can be discriminated against during medical exams and or consulate interviews?

Actual case (denied K1) with discussion about negative impact of having tattoos for visa applicants in certain countries, particularly in Central & South America --

Timeline
46 minutes ago, Chancy said:

Actual case (denied K1) with discussion about negative impact of having tattoos for visa applicants in certain countries, particularly in Central & South America --

I remember reading this when it was posted. Who makes the decisions on what is considered a "gang affiliated" tattoo? My fiancé is covered (no face or hand tattoos) but I can assure you none of them are "gang affiliated." Is there an official tattoo database that is referenced at some point in the application/interview process? 

1 hour ago, SaraClaire11 said:

In your experiences do you think being ALT can have any effect on approvals?

Would love to hear your opinions! Thanks!

We have seen denials for tattoos that could be connected to gang activity, yes.  It is not considered to be 'discrimination,' but a security/background precaution.

Piercings and dyed hair are not relevant to US immigration.

10 minutes ago, SaraClaire11 said:

I remember reading this when it was posted. Who makes the decisions on what is considered a "gang affiliated" tattoo? My fiancé is covered (no face or hand tattoos) but I can assure you none of them are "gang affiliated." Is there an official tattoo database that is referenced at some point in the application/interview process? 

DOS doesn't reveal a lot about their security protocols.  I have never heard of a tattoo database.

Filed: Country: Sierra Leone
Timeline
35 minutes ago, SaraClaire11 said:

I don’t know who has access to this but law enforcement definitely has their own files/databases of gang affiliated tattoos, it wouldn’t be out of the ordinary to think others have access to this. 

I-129F NOA1 : 2009-06-15

I-129F NOA2 : 2009-09-16

NVC Received : 2009-09-22

Consulate Received : 2009-09-28

Packet 3 Received : 2009-10-14

Packet 3 Sent :

Packet 4 Received :

Interview Date :

Interview Result :

Timeline
18 minutes ago, Jorgedig said:

We have seen denials for tattoos that could be connected to gang activity, yes.  It is not considered to be 'discrimination,' but a security/background precaution.

Piercings and dyed hair are not relevant to US immigration.

Gotcha. Makes sense, thanks for the info.

We both have clean records, never been arrested etc...hopefully all of that factors into the decision. After reading that last post I took photos of all my fiancés tattoos during my last visit just incase anything comes up as questionable during this process.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Panama
Timeline
8 minutes ago, SaraClaire11 said:

Gotcha. Makes sense, thanks for the info.

We both have clean records, never been arrested etc...hopefully all of that factors into the decision. After reading that last post I took photos of all my fiancés tattoos during my last visit just incase anything comes up as questionable during this process.

Probably just tell them to cover them up during the interview. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Usually starts with the Medical

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
6 minutes ago, Kyleandandrea said:

IF and WHEN we get to this step they will all be thoroughly covered for sure!

Timeline
4 minutes ago, Boiler said:

Usually starts with the Medical

Yeah I had a feeling this is when it would be generally brought up. I think as long as we are prepared to be questioned it hopefully shouldn't become an issue, fingers crossed! 🤞

18 minutes ago, Kyleandandrea said:

It will be identified  during the medical exam, which is standard.

42 minutes ago, Kyleandandrea said:

At my medical they specifically asked if I have any tattoos and if so, that I’d have to show them. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.