Gaps0214

N-400 Interview Passed with I-751 ROC Pending

10 posts in this topic

So, it's almost 30 days since I passed the N-400 interview and received a Form N-652 which checked "You passed the English test and the U.S. history and government test", and "Congratulations! Your application has been recommended for approval. At this time, it appears you have established your eligibility for naturalization. If final approval is granted, you will be notified when and where to report for your naturalization ceremony".

Question 1: Since my I-751 application for removal of conditions (ROC) remains pending, what is your experience about the waiting period for approval of I-751 after N-400 has been passed?

Question 2: Any exceptions you know of that may affect final approval of the N-400?

My local office is Seattle for the N-400, and my I-751 is with apparently slowpoke Nebraska LIN processing center.

I had the impression the N-400 will expedite the processing of I-751 but is it possible that my approval papers are time-locked at Nebraska LIN?

Much appreciate any thoughts.

Cheers,

G&A

25 minutes ago, Gaps0214 said:

Question 1: Since my I-751 application for removal of conditions (ROC) remains pending, what is your experience about the waiting period for approval of I-751 after N-400 has been passed?

Not from my experience, but this depends on many factors, including how busy the local field office is. There's no way of predicting. It takes from few days to several years. But usually it's weeks or months.

25 minutes ago, Gaps0214 said:

Question 2: Any exceptions you know of that may affect final approval of the N-400?

Criminal history, misrepresentation, immigration fraud, inability to complete background check, not meeting physical presence or continuous presence tests etc.

Edited by OldUser

29 minutes ago, Gaps0214 said:

I had the impression the N-400 will expedite the processing of I-751

That's not always true, unfortunately.

The good news is, you did everything you had to. Unless there's RFE or interview for I-751, you should be ok. After 60 days you can bug USCIS asking about the decision. And I believe (please check with a lawyer) you can sue them too.

Edited by OldUser

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
37 minutes ago, Gaps0214 said:

My local office is Seattle for the N-400, and my I-751 is with apparently slowpoke Nebraska LIN processing center.

I had the impression the N-400 will expedite the processing of I-751 but is it possible that my approval papers are time-locked at Nebraska LIN?

Seattle is different 

https://np.reddit.com/r/immigration/comments/hwkcbu/i751_taking_a_while_extension_letter_close_to/fz0amfz/

What seems to have changed is non combo interviews are now possible at a Seattle. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline
8 hours ago, Gaps0214 said:

So, it's almost 30 days since I passed the N-400 interview and received a Form N-652 which checked "You passed the English test and the U.S. history and government test", and "Congratulations! Your application has been recommended for approval. At this time, it appears you have established your eligibility for naturalization. If final approval is granted, you will be notified when and where to report for your naturalization ceremony".

Cheers,

G&A

Provided that your case is straightforward, you can sue them after a couple of months with no decision.

FROM F1 TO AOS

October 17, 2019 AOS receipt date 

December 09, 2019: Biometric appointment

January 15, 2020 RFE received

January 30, 2020  RFE response sent

Feb 7: EAD approved and interview scheduled

March 18, 2020 Interview cancelled

April 14th 2020: RFE received

April 29, 2020 Approved without interview

May 1, 2020 Card in hand

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

February 1, 2022 package sent

March 28, 2022 Fingerprints reused

July 18, 2023 approval

July 20, 2023 Card in hand

N400 

January 30,2023: Online filing

February 4th, 2023: Biometric appointment

June 15th, 2023: Case actively being reviewed

July 11th, 2023: Interview scheduled.

August 30th, 2023: Interview!

August 31st, 2023: Oath ceremony scheduled.

Sept 19th, 2023: Officially a US citizen!

9 hours ago, OldUser said:

That's not always true, unfortunately.

The good news is, you did everything you had to. Unless there's RFE or interview for I-751, you should be ok. After 60 days you can bug USCIS asking about the decision. And I believe (please check with a lawyer) you can sue them too.

Thank you for your comment.

I am confident that there are no barriers to the final approval of the N-400. I am just a little anxious about it because the N-400 immigration officer told me during the interview that she didn't need my spouse (who was with me for the N-400) for a combo interview, and that all she needed when I passed the N-400 is to look into the I-751 file and if there are no questions I should not be asked to come for another interview to decide the I-751. 

If an RFE was in order for the I-751, I believe I should have received one a long time ago.

Pardon me if this has been already posted somewhere but is there a best way to bug USCIS after 60 days? I know I can do it through the online USCIS account, but if there is a better strategy to it, I'd appreciate knowing about it.

Thank you very much,

G&A

9 hours ago, Mike E said:

Seattle is different 

https://np.reddit.com/r/immigration/comments/hwkcbu/i751_taking_a_while_extension_letter_close_to/fz0amfz/

What seems to have changed is non combo interviews are now possible at a Seattle. 

Yes thats what my N-400 immigration officer told me, that she didn't need to do a combo interview, but she did say some immigration offices require it for N-400 applications that have an ROC I-751 pending.

She was quite nice and I believed there was going to be no issue. But not hearing from them for 30 days seems a bit odd knowing that my application is pretty straightforward. I know this is a bit of whining, for sure everyone in the forum are used to the waiting times, but this is bordering on ridiculous, if an RFE is in order, I should have received something from them by now.

Cheers,

G&A

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline
11 minutes ago, Gaps0214 said:

is there a best way to bug USCIS after 60 days?

You can involve your Congressman.

And again, after some months without decision you can always sue them with a Writ of Mandamus. That will force them to make a decision. But you'll need an attorney for that.

FROM F1 TO AOS

October 17, 2019 AOS receipt date 

December 09, 2019: Biometric appointment

January 15, 2020 RFE received

January 30, 2020  RFE response sent

Feb 7: EAD approved and interview scheduled

March 18, 2020 Interview cancelled

April 14th 2020: RFE received

April 29, 2020 Approved without interview

May 1, 2020 Card in hand

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

February 1, 2022 package sent

March 28, 2022 Fingerprints reused

July 18, 2023 approval

July 20, 2023 Card in hand

N400 

January 30,2023: Online filing

February 4th, 2023: Biometric appointment

June 15th, 2023: Case actively being reviewed

July 11th, 2023: Interview scheduled.

August 30th, 2023: Interview!

August 31st, 2023: Oath ceremony scheduled.

Sept 19th, 2023: Officially a US citizen!

On 12/7/2022 at 9:15 PM, Gaps0214 said:

Cheers,

G&A

Response to question 1: I passed the English and Civics N-400 Interview on 8/04/2022 but no decision could be made due to my pending I-751 (which was pending since December 2018). I still haven't received a notice regarding my N-400, but today I did finally receive an approval for my I-751. So I'm hoping I will hear back soon about my N-400.

I-751 timeline:

• 12/04/2018: Mailed I-751 with divorce waiver
  • 12/19/2018: Received by USCIS
  • 5/02/2019: Biometrics appointment
  • 5/03/2019: Case updated to show Fingerprints were taken and applied to my case 
  • 1/28/2020: Received an RFE
  • 2/05/2020: Response To Request For Evidence Was Received by USCIS
  • 8/12/2020: Case received at my local office
  • 9/16/2020: Case is Ready to Be Scheduled for An Interview
  • 2/24/2021: Case scheduled for an interview
  • 4/06/2021: Interview done
  • 4/13/2022: Surprise Interview done at  my house
  • 12/08/2022: I-751 with divorce waiver APPROVED!
  • 12/21/2022: 10 yr Green Card Received.

N-400 timeline:

• 01/26/2022: Applied online and received by USCIS, Informed of Biometrics reuse
  • 06/17/2022: Interview scheduled
  • 08/04/2022: Interview done. Passed English and Civics test but no decision could be made due to my pending I-751
  • 06/08/2023: Oath Ceremony Notice Was Mailed
  • 06/22/2023: Oath Ceremony - FINALLY A US CITIZEN!

On 12/8/2022 at 7:07 AM, Rocio0010 said:

You can involve your Congressman.

And again, after some months without decision you can always sue them with a Writ of Mandamus. That will force them to make a decision. But you'll need an attorney for that.

I tried to get help from my Congressperson last time with the AOS and they have been no help from my experience. Others may have had a better experience.

I hope that we don't come to the point of having to go to court, I do have an immigration lawyer who basically helped us with a review of the initial document filings from AOS, and haven't had the need to give him a call since. The costs are quite steep at $350 per hour. 

Having the N-400 passed for final approval is going to help us bear the waiting time for now. I just thought that they would be better off getting our case off their plate as soon as they can if there are no questions and move on to the next people in line. 

Meantime, moving forward with plans for the coming year, I've stopped checking the online status for a week now.

Cheers,

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.