XM148

Wife was just naturalized and now wants to sponsor her parents. Do I have to sign?

35 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

You're in a catch 22. 

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

8 hours ago, XM148 said:

Yes but if she signs the i-864 for her parents, she has no income (besides mine). When I signed for her I had to provide a bunch of financial documentation. Wife is not on any of my accounts. How would I not be responsible for it if she signs while we are married?

Not currently divorcing. 

As the petitioner and sponsor, she will submit the I-864.  She will sign that form and provide supporting documentation of her income.

If you wanted to combine your income with hers, as a household member, you would submit the I-864A.

Do you file federal taxes jointly?

Immigration is expensive, and a reasonable expectation would be for her to get a job if she wants to sponsor immigrants.

Edited by Jorgedig

13 minutes ago, Jorgedig said:

As the petitioner and sponsor, she will submit the I-864.  She will sign that form and provide supporting documentation of her income.

If you wanted to combine your income with hers, as a household member, you would submit the I-864A.

Do you file federal taxes jointly?

Immigration is expensive, and a reasonable expectation would be for her to get a job if she wants to sponsor immigrants.

We generally do file taxes jointly. I doubt she will get a job and I definitely dont want my income combined with hers as a sponsor

Just now, XM148 said:

We generally do file taxes jointly. I doubt she will get a job and I definitely dont want my income combined with hers as a sponsor

Then that is entirely within your control, since you would have to fill out and sign a separate form for that.

Sounds like they will need to seek a joint sponsor when the time comes, or an entirely different qualified petitioner.

You may also want to bring to her attention that they will not be eligible for medicare or social security for many years (if at all, depending on whether they intend to work), and that bringing elderly parents over without a solid plan for funding their health care can lead to financial ruin.

2 minutes ago, Jorgedig said:

Then that is entirely within your control, since you would have to fill out and sign a separate form for that.

Sounds like they will need to seek a joint sponsor when the time comes, or an entirely different qualified petitioner.

You may also want to bring to her attention that they will not be eligible for medicare or social security for many years (if at all, depending on whether they intend to work), and that bringing elderly parents over without a solid plan for funding their health care can lead to financial ruin.

Her parents are very wealthy, I doubt they will be too concerned with medicare or social security

20 minutes ago, XM148 said:

Because then I would be responsible for them. 

But they're very wealthy, as you say, why would they need your financial help? Where would your responsibility lie if they can support themselves?

Edited by OldUser

7 minutes ago, XM148 said:

Isnt an I-864 required regardless of their assets?  Still a liability to me if I sign it.

The main question is why would you sign it? If you feel like you got scammed, why not just part ways and get divorced? For you to sign an I-864 relating to her parents, it would be as a co-sponsor, as your wife would be the primary petitioner. 

Just now, HarryWL said:

The main question is why would you sign it? If you feel like you got scammed, why not just part ways and get divorced? For you to sign an I-864 relating to her parents, it would be as a co-sponsor, as your wife would be the primary petitioner. 

Because I cant stand to give her half of everything I've worked for the past four years while she sat at home doing nothing besides shopping on Amazon. 

Just now, XM148 said:

Because I cant stand to give her half of everything I've worked for the past four years while she sat at home doing nothing besides shopping on Amazon. 

That sounds like a commitment to a life of misery. As someone who filed for divorce, I basically let my ex-husband (the sponsor) keep most of our belongings just to get rid of him out of my life. Would she not do a simplified divorce? 

Perhaps there's a compromise to be made? Offer to co-sponsor her parents provided she agrees to a divorce on your terms? 

3 minutes ago, HarryWL said:

That sounds like a commitment to a life of misery. As someone who filed for divorce, I basically let my ex-husband (the sponsor) keep most of our belongings just to get rid of him out of my life. Would she not do a simplified divorce? 

Perhaps there's a compromise to be made? Offer to co-sponsor her parents provided she agrees to a divorce on your terms? 

That's what I was going to offer when she asks me to co-sponsor her parents.

5 minutes ago, XM148 said:

That's what I was going to offer when she asks me to co-sponsor her parents.

Don't get played, have it finalized first before you co-sponsor anything. As you're familiar with it due to your own process, you can't get out of it so easily. At that point, drop her and move on with your life. 

Edited by HarryWL

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
1 hour ago, XM148 said:

Her parents are very wealthy, I doubt they will be too concerned with medicare or social security

Why aren’t they pursuing EB-5?

Or why aren’t they gifting sufficient liquid assets to their daughter for an asset based I-864?

1 hour ago, OldUser said:

But they're very wealthy, as you say, why would they need your financial help? Where would your responsibility lie if they can support themselves?

If they are very wealth they don’t need OP to sign I-864. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.