Jason and May

W-2/Tax Returns Question

7 posts in this topic

Hi all, 

Question on I-864/proof of income: 

I retired from my previous 17+ year career in March 2019 to finish graduate school. I had one year of unpaid clinicals to complete in order to finish my master's degree and obtain my license as a psychotherapist. 

Inasmuch, in tax year 2020, my taxable income was just over $4,000. (I had money in savings and checking from my onetime lump sum retirement payment.) My taxable in income in 2021 was consistent with my work as a psychotherapist (and of course well above qualifying for sponsorship), and my taxable income for 2022 will be more than 2021. 

I have my original W-2s from 2021 and will have them for 2022. I do not have originals for 2020; though, I did file a tax return that year for the little bit of taxable income I did have. 

Assuming we reach the stage of May's interview by December or January of 2023/2024, here are my questions: 

1) Should I write an affidavit and swear it out before a notary explaining my subthreshold income in 2020? 

2) Should I get an unopened original transcript from the university and a copy of my degree, get the degree apostilled, and send it with my other documents for her interview in order to establish a timeline with additional proof? 

3) Should I just get the original W-2 and 1099 from 2020 to be prepared and potentially avoid an RFE, or will the IRS return transcript w/ the W-2 sent to the IRS likely be acceptable? I believe I can get the W-2. I don't know if I can get the 1099 (the 1099 was only a few hundred dollars, but I assume I should include it). 

I'm assuming my income from 2020 will not necessarily be so scrutinized with some evidence of my career change and proof of employment from my current employer, but I don't want to just coast and assume and hit snags down the road.

Probably, we'll hit this phase in early 2024, and my previous 3 years' worth of tax returns will eliminate 2020, but I like to understand things and be prepared so we have what we need if we need it.

Thanks, all. 

Jason and May

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline

1. I would not 

2. I would not 

3. I-864 instructions say:

“If you provide a photocopy of your Federal individual income tax returns, you must include a copy of each and every Form W-2 and Form 1099 that relates to your returns. Do not include copies of these forms if you provide an IRS transcript of your Federal individual income tax returns rather than a photocopy unless you filed a joint income tax return with your spouse and are qualifying using only your income.”

So use submit  tax transcripts and skip the W-2s and 1099s.  

Edited by Mike E

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
1 hour ago, Jason and May said:

I appreciate your thoughts, Mike! Thank you! 🤘

You do understand that you only need to supply the total income number on the 2020 tax return, and only need to to supply a copy OR a tax return transcript from the latest year.  Right?  If you want to send all three, use the other "OR" Tax Return Transcripts from the IRS.  No W2 needed for those.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/20/2022 at 12:46 PM, Jason and May said:

Hi all, 

Question on I-864/proof of income: 

I retired from my previous 17+ year career in March 2019 to finish graduate school. I had one year of unpaid clinicals to complete in order to finish my master's degree and obtain my license as a psychotherapist. 

Inasmuch, in tax year 2020, my taxable income was just over $4,000. (I had money in savings and checking from my onetime lump sum retirement payment.) My taxable in income in 2021 was consistent with my work as a psychotherapist (and of course well above qualifying for sponsorship), and my taxable income for 2022 will be more than 2021. 

I have my original W-2s from 2021 and will have them for 2022. I do not have originals for 2020; though, I did file a tax return that year for the little bit of taxable income I did have. 

Assuming we reach the stage of May's interview by December or January of 2023/2024, here are my questions: 

1) Should I write an affidavit and swear it out before a notary explaining my subthreshold income in 2020? 

2) Should I get an unopened original transcript from the university and a copy of my degree, get the degree apostilled, and send it with my other documents for her interview in order to establish a timeline with additional proof? 

3) Should I just get the original W-2 and 1099 from 2020 to be prepared and potentially avoid an RFE, or will the IRS return transcript w/ the W-2 sent to the IRS likely be acceptable? I believe I can get the W-2. I don't know if I can get the 1099 (the 1099 was only a few hundred dollars, but I assume I should include it). 

I'm assuming my income from 2020 will not necessarily be so scrutinized with some evidence of my career change and proof of employment from my current employer, but I don't want to just coast and assume and hit snags down the road.

Probably, we'll hit this phase in early 2024, and my previous 3 years' worth of tax returns will eliminate 2020, but I like to understand things and be prepared so we have what we need if we need it.

Thanks, all. 

Jason and May

They dont care about your 2020 income.  They care that you pay and file taxes and they care about your current income.

Hey, there! I do see that on the 1864; I've read some beneficiaries, though, have been told to bring their sponsor's most recent 3 year's worth of complete tax returns to their interview. That's what primarily concerns me.

It's easy enough to just play it safe and get my return transcripts for 2020, in the event they're even relevant by that time. 

Thank you for your input! I appreciate you taking the time. 🤙🏾

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.