balo101

I-485 administratively closed- What's next? (merged)

43 posts in this topic

Guys i need help. My I-485 administratively closed because i have asylum case which is also administratively closed. My lawyer said We need to file 2 motions. One for Recalander and other for termination of asylum. Does that make sense? 
Plus i am in NYC. Does anyone know how long is gonna take? and how is process gonna work? Can anyone please explain all the steps? i would appreciate that.  

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline

At least one lawyer disagrees with your lawyer. https://www.avvo.com/legal-answers/how-do-i-get-my-asylum-case-closed-administrativel-3592132.html

What your lawyer is doing with your case doesn’t make sense to me.  I think you need a consultation with the best lawyer you can afford.   

Edited by Mike E

5 minutes ago, Mike E said:

At least one lawyer disagrees with your lawyer. https://www.avvo.com/legal-answers/how-do-i-get-my-asylum-case-closed-administrativel-3592132.html

What your lawyer is doing with your case doesn’t make sense to me.  I think you need a consolation with the best lawyer you can afford.   

Thank you Mike. 

That's what i am trying to understand from my lawyer that what is the purpose of 2 motions. However, he is not willing to explain me anything. so i am kind suspicious right now.   

59 minutes ago, balo101 said:

Guys i need help. My I-485 administratively closed because i have asylum case which is also administratively closed. My lawyer said We need to file 2 motions. One for Recalander and other for termination of asylum. Does that make sense? 
Plus i am in NYC. Does anyone know how long is gonna take? and how is process gonna work? Can anyone please explain all the steps? i would appreciate that.  

Yes , makes sense . Your removal proceedings are administratively closed , so he will motion the court to re-open ( recalender) and terminate removal. 
You got placed in removal because your asylum was denied and referred to court, the court took your case off docket to give you time to get your I-360 approved. 

How long will depend on the court schedule, because they will set a hearing date. @Demise can give you some input as they gave a court date approximately 2 months after filing her motion. 

But you must allow for additional time after court hearing and Order of Termination , because then you will be waiting for USCIS to re-open the I-485 ( which is now admin closed ) at least a few additional months. 
@Pens can share her timeline if she is still active.

Do you like your attorney? Would you recommend him ? Recently another member was asking for referrals on East Coast …paging @Misscloud

Edited by Family

9 minutes ago, Family said:

Yes , makes sense . Your removal proceedings are administratively closed , so he will motion the court to re-open ( recalender) and terminate removal. 
You got placed in removal because your asylum was denied and referred to court, the court took your case off docket to give you time to get your I-360 approved. 

How long will depend on the court schedule, because they will set a hearing date. @Demise can give you some input as they gave a court date approximately 2 months after filing her motion. 

Do you like your attorney? Would you recommend him ? Recently another member was asking for referrals on East Coast …paging @Misscloud

I can give a referral for good lawyer in NYC. (Not my current lawyer ) my friend hired him for a complicated case and for the past 2 years journey I can tell he’s good and made good choices for my friends case. I also spoke with him briefly about my case and he’s willing to give his opinion that I think made sense. Let me know if you want me to DM his contact info. I dunno if he’s gonna take the case but u can always reach him 

Edited by Misscloud

6 minutes ago, Family said:

Is he charging you for 2 motions ? Is that the misunderstanding? 

Yes he charging me for 2 motions. 

The misunderstanding was why 2 motion with court. 

Since my i-485 administratively closed now. What effect would it have on my EAD? Will it still be active? 

Thank you for your detailed input. 

At this point i am not sure if i should recommend this lawyer to anyone. I think i should come back to this after the outcome of my case. 

Edited by balo101

Just now, balo101 said:
4 minutes ago, Family said:

Is he charging you for 2 motions ? Is that the misunderstanding? 

Yes he charging me for 2 motions. 

The misunderstanding was why 2 motion with court. 

Thank you for your detailed input. 

At this point i am not sure if i should recommend this lawyer to anyone. I think i should come back to this after the outcome of my case. 

Even though he does one filing , he does argue both …,and best you can do is call around.
But most want hefty retainers to take over .and you are almost at the end , so it’s a tough spot

7 minutes ago, Family said:

Even though he does one filing , he does argue both …,and best you can do is call around.
But most want hefty retainers to take over .and you are almost at the end , so it’s a tough spot

Since my i-485 administratively closed now. What effect would it have on my EAD? Will it still be active? 

14 minutes ago, balo101 said:

Thank you for this information. 

Do you know if there is any site where i can track my motions? 

Unfortunately there’s no site to track the motion. Did the lawyer already filed the motion? Usually the lawyer can call the court / judge’s clerk and ask for the update 

Edited by Misscloud

Just now, balo101 said:

Since my i-485 administratively closed now. What effect would it have on my EAD? Will it still be active? 

Yes it still active as long as it still valid. we have similar situation but my removal proceeding is in the docket ( not administrative close ) but my I-485 is administrative closure because of the proceeding 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.