Petersaad1

Beneficiary passport

14 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Hi my beneficiary doesn’t have a passport and never had one. I know it asks for a passport number on the application. I was told you can use a birth certificate instead. Is this true?

You can put in N/A if no current passport but the beneficiary should get one come NVC part and of course immigrant visa interview. 

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

They'll need a passport for international travel, including flight to USA.

It's best for beneficiary to get the passport first, and then apply for CR-1 visa. Visa is issued in passport. Applying without passport is pointless.

Edited by OldUser

7 hours ago, Petersaad1 said:

Hi my beneficiary doesn’t have a passport and never had one. I know it asks for a passport number on the application. I was told you can use a birth certificate instead. Is this true

There is nothing to start in advance . NVC will only assign case # and create CEAC access after USCIS approves petition.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
10 hours ago, Petersaad1 said:

Hi my beneficiary doesn’t have a passport and never had one. I know it asks for a passport number on the application. I was told you can use a birth certificate instead. Is this true?

Depends on which application you're asking about.  If you are referring to an I-130 and I-130A, petition for a spousal visa, a passport for the beneficiary is not needed.  The beneficiary will need a passport for the DS-260 for the CR-1 visa application, at the NVC stage, which comes many months after filing the petition.

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jordan
Timeline
On 11/18/2022 at 1:24 PM, Petersaad1 said:

Yes but i just want to get the application started. Will get her passport in the meantime 

Start the application, get things moving. Depending on the country she is from getting a passport could take days or months. With wait-times for USCIS and NVC getting shorter, I would get the passport sooner rather than later. I know in Lebanon the wait time for passport issuance or renewal is currently min 6-9 months while in Jordan it’s sometimes done on the spot. 

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
On 11/18/2022 at 9:46 PM, milimelo said:

You can put in N/A if no current passport but the beneficiary should get one come NVC part and of course immigrant visa interview. 

Probably can't enter N/A.  You can type NONE, all zeros or leave blank.  Will need a passport to get the visa though.  Should start that process now.  No passport now is ok though.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline

Thank you! One more question. Her birth certificate is in Arabic and she got it translated to English. Some people are telling me I can’t submit both documents and that both the Arabic/English needs to be one paper (attached). 

can anyone confirm whether this is true?

B520AACB-D262-4EAF-A504-854EA8D9C403.jpeg

Timeline
51 minutes ago, Petersaad1 said:

Thank you! One more question. Her birth certificate is in Arabic and she got it translated to English. Some people are telling me I can’t submit both documents and that both the Arabic/English needs to be one paper (attached). 

can anyone confirm whether this is true?

B520AACB-D262-4EAF-A504-854EA8D9C403.jpeg

"Some people are telling me" is a well known source of false information.  The instructions and much experience say you submit the original AND a certified translation.  Believe the instructions.  Almost always a better source than "some people".

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline
5 minutes ago, pushbrk said:

"Some people are telling me" is a well known source of false information.  The instructions and much experience say you submit the original AND a certified translation.  Believe the instructions.  Almost always a better source than "some people".

Can you guide me where it says original and copy?

Timeline
Just now, Petersaad1 said:

Can you guide me where it says original and copy?

List of evidence to be provided when filing for a spouse.  However her Birth Certificate is not needed when filing the I-130.  It is required at NVC stage, and if she's interviewing in her native country, it doesn't need to be translated at all. OTHER supporting documents that are required are the ones you are instructed to submit a copy and a certified translation if not in English.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Timeline
2 minutes ago, pushbrk said:

List of evidence to be provided when filing for a spouse.  However her Birth Certificate is not needed when filing the I-130.  It is required at NVC stage, and if she's interviewing in her native country, it doesn't need to be translated at all. OTHER supporting documents that are required are the ones you are instructed to submit a copy and a certified translation if not in English.

Thank you so much. Super helpful 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.