The Bloomies

Certain religious denominations or interdenominational mission organizations?

5 posts in this topic

Spouses of U.S. Citizens Employed Abroad

Generally, if your spouse is a U.S. citizen who is employed by the U.S. government, including the military or another qualifying employer, and your spouse is scheduled to be stationed abroad for at least one year at the time you file your Form N-400, you may be eligible for naturalization under Section 319(b) of the INA.  Qualifying employers can include:

• Certain American institutions of research;
  • American firms or corporations engaged in the development of foreign trade and commerce;
  • Certain public international organizations; and
  • Certain religious denominations or interdenominational mission organizations.

Does anyone have any experience with using the above bolded reason—"certain religious denominations or interdenominational mission organizations"—as a reason for expedited citizenship and what that might include?

On 11/16/2022 at 8:42 PM, Mike E said:

The above might be of help  

Thank you for your comment. It doesn’t seem that this person’s situation related to working for a religious organisation though. I’m wondering specifically if anyone knows what kind of work qualifies. For example, my husband works for a construction contractor engaged overseas by a U.S. religious organization. (He’s not in any sort of ecclesiastical role.) Does anyone think this might count? It would probably determine whether he takes international assignment, if it might affect my citizenship process.

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: Timeline
On 11/22/2022 at 8:03 AM, The Bloomies said:

Thank you for your comment. It doesn’t seem that this person’s situation related to working for a religious organisation though. I’m wondering specifically if anyone knows what kind of work qualifies. For example, my husband works for a construction contractor engaged overseas by a U.S. religious organization. (He’s not in any sort of ecclesiastical role.) Does anyone think this might count? It would probably determine whether he takes international assignment, if it might affect my citizenship process.

Don't know if you got an answer to this or not, so am responding just in case.

If I am reading your post correctly, your husband does not work for the religious organization directly; rather, he works for a construction company that has a contract with the organization.  If that is the case, then no, you would not qualify for expeditious naturalization.  Even if he were employed directly as a contractor for the organization, it is unlikely he would be in a position that qualifies.  He would have to be in a ministerial position or a missionary..  See Section C on the US IS website at

https://www.uscis.gov/policy-manual/volume-12-part-g-chapter-4.

Edited by jan22

• 1 month later...
On 12/12/2022 at 9:48 PM, jan22 said:

Don't know if you got an answer to this or not, so am responding just in case.

If I am reading your post correctly, your husband does not work for the religious organization directly; rather, he works for a construction company that has a contract with the organization.  If that is the case, then no, you would not qualify for expeditious naturalization.  Even if he were employed directly as a contractor for the organization, it is unlikely he would be in a position that qualifies.  He would have to be in a ministerial position or a missionary..  See Section C on the US IS website at

https://www.uscis.gov/policy-manual/volume-12-part-g-chapter-4.

Thank you for your response. That is correct. I didn't think it would qualify us, but just wanted to check. We will just have to be careful with how much time we spend outside of the country on any international assignments then. Thanks again.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.