TheKT

Covid-19 vaccine NOT required for K visa applicants

24 posts in this topic

Now hear me out. Ever since this injection was added to the list of required vaccines (here) I thought that was a fact but now someone sent me this page:

CDC Requirements for Immigrant Medical Examinations: COVID-19 Technical Instructions for Panel Physicians

and if you scroll down a little, you will see this: 

*Refugees and NIVs, including K-visa applicants are not required to receive the COVID-19 vaccine as part of the immigration medical examination; however, the other components of these Technical Instructions do apply to all applicants.

What do you make of this?

I know since this has been added a few of you already had your exam. Feel free to share your experience!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline
6 hours ago, Misscloud said:

the recipient of K1 visa still currently need covid shots to be able to travel to the US. and when the person do AOS, covid-19 vaccine still requirement.  

So is this

As of 12:01AM ET on June 12, 2022, CDC will no longer require air passengers traveling from a foreign country to the United States to show a negative COVID-19 viral test or documentation of recovery from COVID-19 before they board their flight.

Not correct?

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Belarus
Timeline
1 hour ago, Parallel Oddling said:

On average, it has taken 15-18 months for the whole process and you are willing to risk your partner's arrival to the States just because you (not specifically talking about OP but generally speaking) opted out of getting the vaccine? Seems very counter intuitive to me.

I generally agree, but the main opposition to this tends to come from countries who don't have access to an approved vaccine but are still effectively forced to get it because they were excluded from the exception list (see: Russia and Belarus). Thus, the rule OP quoted was a huge pain for those applicants when countries were much stricter with giving COVID vaccines to third-country nationals, but now that there's a surplus the issue isn't as bad.

K-1 Visa Process: Complete 

I-129F Sent: 03/16/2021

I-129F Picked Up from Dallas Lockbox: 03/18/2021

NOA1: Received 03/17/2021 (backdated); notice date 04/08/2021

NOA2: 2/18/22 

NVC Received: 03/08/2022

NVC Case Number: 03/17/2022

Interview: 06/06/2022 —> Approved!

Wedding: 08/02/2022 🥳

AOS Process: Complete 

I-435/I-765/I-131 Sent: 08/09/2022

I-435/I-765/I-131 Picked up from Chicago PO Box: 08/10/2022

Priority Date: 08/10/2022 (NBC)

I-864 RFE: 08/25/2022

Biometrics: 09/08/2022 

Active Reviews: 09/08/2022 (EAD), 09/09/2022 (AOS)

RFE Response Sent: 09/15/2022

EAD / AP Approval: 06/06/2023 (approval notice in portal, no status update)

I-485 Approval: 04/19/2024 🥳

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline
16 hours ago, Lynxyonok said:

So is this

As of 12:01AM ET on June 12, 2022, CDC will no longer require air passengers traveling from a foreign country to the United States to show a negative COVID-19 viral test or documentation of recovery from COVID-19 before they board their flight.

Not correct?

What you've quoted is about testing, and not vaccines. Two different policies. Covid testing is not required but covid vaccines are required for K1 to travel.

Edited by nastra30

Thanks everyone for your responses. I'm aware that currently entering the US is not even possible without the vax for foreign nationals. This however, will not remain in place forever. There are currently around 130 countries on the planet that don't have any restrictions anymore. A few months, that's it. 

To the person who mentioned this could get political, I don't see how. This is about personal choices and beliefs. 

Also "you are willing to risk your partner's arrival to the States"... better than risking anyone's personal beliefs or even their life. So yes, definitely. We have a lawyer in place that we would hire if needed. The question is just if we would even need him, if panel physicians are told the covid vax is not mandatory for K-Visa applicants. 

We are definitely willing to move to an entirely different country over this, if needed. Really just trying to explore all our options first. Hence the question if anyone who was planning on filing an i-601 didn't end up needing it.

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline
On 11/18/2022 at 12:29 AM, milimelo said:

You just need to wait until after January when the shot requirement is going away. For AOS - include the waiver for shots.

And there's nothing wrong if you and your future spouse do not want to take covid (or any other) shots. That's what waivers are for. 

You believe the requirement will go away In January? 

Timeline
On 11/17/2022 at 5:30 PM, TheKT said:

Thanks everyone for your responses. I'm aware that currently entering the US is not even possible without the vax for foreign nationals. This however, will not remain in place forever. There are currently around 130 countries on the planet that don't have any restrictions anymore. A few months, that's it. 

To the person who mentioned this could get political, I don't see how. This is about personal choices and beliefs. 

Also "you are willing to risk your partner's arrival to the States"... better than risking anyone's personal beliefs or even their life. So yes, definitely. We have a lawyer in place that we would hire if needed. The question is just if we would even need him, if panel physicians are told the covid vax is not mandatory for K-Visa applicants. 

We are definitely willing to move to an entirely different country over this, if needed. Really just trying to explore all our options first. Hence the question if anyone who was planning on filing an i-601 didn't end up needing it.

Have you found any answers? I filed the I-601 waiver of inadmissibility for my husband pre covid jab for the other injections required and it was approved. I am trying to help someone in a similar situation but it’s different now. Have you heard of anyone filing with success with this new added shot?

15 minutes ago, mmsamor said:

You believe the requirement will go away In January? 

Yes, the announcement was back in early November that they're extending the requirement until January 8 2023 for travel to US except for non-USC, LPRs and some other categories including immigrants. 

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Timeline
1 minute ago, milimelo said:

Yes, the announcement was back in early November that they're extending the requirement until January 8 2023 for travel to US except for non-USC, LPRs and some other categories including immigrants. 

Ahh yess. As they have been. I am pretty sure they just keep extending it as any tyrant would. It would be super nice if it went away in January maybe Colombia would follow so I could visit my husband’s family with the baby. 

Thank  you 

18 minutes ago, milimelo said:

Did you mean "except for USC" ?

On 12/5/2022 at 11:56 AM, mmsamor said:
On 12/5/2022 at 11:54 AM, milimelo said:

Ahh yess. As they have been. I am pretty sure they just keep extending it as any tyrant would. It would be super nice if it went away in January maybe Colombia would follow so I could visit my husband’s family with the baby. 

Thank  you 

From what I've just read you can enter Colombia without the vax, however they ask for testing, which I know not everyone wants either. 

Here is a good overview, where you can check for each country (ad your departure country, passport country, vax status, destination, etc.) 

https://www.turkishairlines.com/en-co/travel-requirements/

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.