Kez/JWolf

Strange thing about locked threads

274 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Just going to say this, and then I'm going for my tea. ;)

There have been a few good points made in this thread today so I'm going to bring them up with the Captain (it is his board after all!) and the other mods and we'll have a chat about it all.

Edited by mags

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FWIW, I think half the problem sometimes is that people know they can get away with ###### and basically aren't held accountable for it; to the outsider looking in, they simply 'go missing' for a few days which could actually be life interfering and not any sort of a suspension or what not. How is the person on the other side of the fracas to know the difference? Thus, it gives the impression that they got away with it. And I'm sorry, but when you're attacked by someone, it IS your damn business to know whether or not they got off scot free.

It doesn't HAVE to be the jail cell idea - Kez's suggestion would be fine too - at the very least, if the persons involved in the incident knew what was meted out (instead of everyone talking behind backs and getting more riled up), it may just prevent the cycle of asking the mods what gives, etc and so on.

The only reason I prefer the jail cell idea is the accountability factor, but I guess that's because I sort of see everyone here as 'peers'. Meaning if I know what can and cannot be done, and what is and isn't acceptable, then I may be less likely to even go there. The flip side of this is to constantly push the boundaries to see how much of my body I can get across that line before I get the smack down. Yes, people SHOULD know these things by common sense alone, or by having read the TOS, but we all know that doesn't always exist in message board land.

BTW I use the term 'I' (in the example above) in a general sense because every one knows I'm always a perfect angel. :star:

:lol:

SA4userbar.jpg

Filed: Timeline
FWIW, I think half the problem sometimes is that people know they can get away with ###### and basically aren't held accountable for it; to the outsider looking in, they simply 'go missing' for a few days which could actually be life interfering and not any sort of a suspension or what not. How is the person on the other side of the fracas to know the difference? Thus, it gives the impression that they got away with it. And I'm sorry, but when you're attacked by someone, it IS your damn business to know whether or not they got off scot free.

It doesn't HAVE to be the jail cell idea - Kez's suggestion would be fine too - at the very least, if the persons involved in the incident knew what was meted out (instead of everyone talking behind backs and getting more riled up), it may just prevent the cycle of asking the mods what gives, etc and so on.

The only reason I prefer the jail cell idea is the accountability factor, but I guess that's because I sort of see everyone here as 'peers'. Meaning if I know what can and cannot be done, and what is and isn't acceptable, then I may be less likely to even go there. The flip side of this is to constantly push the boundaries to see how much of my body I can get across that line before I get the smack down. Yes, people SHOULD know these things by common sense alone, or by having read the TOS, but we all know that doesn't always exist in message board land.

BTW I use the term 'I' (in the example above) in a general sense because every one knows I'm always a perfect angel. :star:

:lol:

Well said Tracy. I agree wholeheartedly.

It is our right to ask about it, and your right to refuse to talk about it. Whatevs. Then don't tell us to PM mods about violations/decisions when several people have & it's been ignored. It's obviously not something you guys care to share with us, so we can hyopothesize away!

I know it's an amazing concept, but the moderators really DON'T have to explain themselves to you all the damn time. Whether they punish someone or not is not your damn business. It isn't mine, either. I live with Mags and I don't know who's been banned, who hasn't, etc etc. Why not? Because it isn't MY DAMN BUSINESS.

It is our DAMN BUSINESS.... H_A made it our Business when she attacked us for no good reason..... all the mods have to do when someone reports things like this is send a PM to the person who was attacked and reported the attack telling them the outcome..... last time I checked being a victim of an attack does give you the right to know what has been done to the attacker....

Kez

A physical attack, where the police would be involved, is a little bit - ok, a LOT different - than some words on a message board. Hint, it's NOT real life. If Steven or Charles were to post that they were b!tch-slapping me while wearing speedos and riding llamas, I wouldn't consider it an attack - I'd be repulsed, but I wouldn't call it an attack.

What is and what isn't considered an attack varies from person to person. In the end though, this is JUST a message board. Anyone who feels so passionately about knowing what has happened to someone, that THEY FEEL attacked them, really needs to get a new hobby.

Edited by PlatyPius
Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. ####### coated bastards with ####### filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive bobble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine.

What is and what isn't considered an attack varies from person to person. In the end though, this is JUST a message board.

This isn't just a message board. VJ is here to guide people through a very important and difficult journey. The experiences of the long term members is what makes this site work. We're not talking about Hello Kitty here, we're talking about life changing help and advice. My point is, if you don't keep the members happy then they will start to leave the site, and with that you lose valuable experience with immigration matters. Personally I would consider it a definite problem if people like Kez, rebeccajo, dev et al., are getting pissed off because these people are the backbone of the AOS forum and others, and losing them would be a huge loss to the forum.

Edited by Dr_LHA

Personally I would consider it a definite problem if people like Kez, rebeccajo, dev et al., are getting pissed off because these people are the backbone of the AOS forum and others, and losing them would be a huge loss to the forum.

Yeah, but Dev is ALWAYS pissed off.

Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. ####### coated bastards with ####### filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive bobble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine.

Thing is, VJ will be here long after all of us 'move on'....few years from now, there will be a new crop who are seen as the 'old crop' and so on. Cos let's face it...with immigration laws and visa procedures constantly changing, the personal wealth of information will cease to be as valuable because it is outdated.

I see each side here saying what's on their minds and using 'I was attacked' as justification for the things they say about the other person. on BOTH sides. So how long's a piece of string, yanno what I mean?

Edited by LisaD

Personally I would consider it a definite problem if people like Kez, rebeccajo, dev et al., are getting pissed off because these people are the backbone of the AOS forum and others, and losing them would be a huge loss to the forum.

Yeah, but Dev is ALWAYS pissed off.

I am? Since when do you speak for me?