Fiance1

K1 VISA for Fiancee with Loan Debt? (merged)

60 posts in this topic

I'm wondering if my fiancee from the philippines will be allowed to come here on a K1 VISA if she has loan debt. She has a motorcycle she's still paying off, a home credit loan, and two personal loans. Will she be required to pay off all of her loans before she will be allowed to come to America on a K1 VISA?

It would be easier for her to earn income here in America to pay those loans off, but I'm unclear on the rules for people in the Philippines exiting their country on a K1 VISA.

Edited by Fiance1

2 minutes ago, Fiance1 said:

I'm wondering if my fiancee from the philippines will be allowed to come here on a K1 VISA if she has loan debt. She has a motorcycle she's still paying off, a home credit loan, and two personal loans. Will she be required to pay off all of her loans before she will be allowed to come to America on a K1 VISA?

It would be easier for her to earn income here in America to pay those loans off, but I'm unclear on the rules for people in the Philippines exiting their country on a K1 VISA.

US government probably won't care about it. Only a question whether Philippines will. Which they shouldn't in theory, unless she doesn't pay on time. I think this is a wrong forum to ask.

What's the latest on how long the entire process takes from start to finish? Last I heard everything was so backed up, most K1 VISAs are taking 2+ years. Is that only the case for filers from certain US states, or is it the case regardless of where the US Citizen filer is residing in the US? My fiancee seems convinced the process could be as short as 6 months. I'm skeptical though based on my Google search results...

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

18 months to 2  years

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

9 minutes ago, Fiance1 said:

What's the latest on how long the entire process takes from start to finish? Last I heard everything was so backed up, most K1 VISAs are taking 2+ years. Is that only the case for filers from certain US states, or is it the case regardless of where the US Citizen filer is residing in the US? My fiancee seems convinced the process could be as short as 6 months. I'm skeptical though based on my Google search results...

Might be 6 months to get through the USCIS but that is only half the process as the embassy is backed up due to COVID-19. 

17 minutes ago, Fiance1 said:

Might be easier for her to earn income in the US but she won't be employment eligible for quite a few months after her arrival.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.