od8mq

TWO Real IDs. What next?

16 posts in this topic

Hi everyone! I have a question regarding REAL IDs.

A friend of mine moved to the States some time ago, he is a conditional green card holder currently.

He got a State ID (the one that's REAL ID) in one state. Then he moved to another state, and got a State ID (also the REAL ID one) in that new state. And here's the tricky part. DMV did not take his old REAL ID from the preivous state nor they asked him whether he possessed an ID from a different state. My understanding is that when people move to a different state and apply for a new driver's licene, the DMV takes the old one. But it did not happen in his case with the State ID.

I believe this is not right and in fact it is unlawful to possess two REAL IDs. I did a quick Google search, and indeed there is a law that prohibits having two REAL IDs. Also, the DMV employee must check whether the person already has an ID from a different state. However, it does not mention what should be done if the employee did not check that and issued a second REAL ID.

My question now is, what do you think would be the best option for my friend? He is a bit scared of going back to DMV because he technically possesses two REAL IDs at the moment which is unlawful, and he is a confitional Green card holder, so he's worried about the implications. But I personally believe something needs to be done about this to prevent future issues.

Thank you. Would appreciate any advice.

*Here's wording from the law regarding REAL IDs (and also attaching a screenshot):

§ 37.29 Prohibition against holding more than one REAL ID card or more than one driver’s license.

(c) Prior to issuing a REAL ID identification card, (1) A State must check with all other States to determine if the applicant currently holds a REAL ID driver’s license or identification card in another State. (2) If the State receives confirmation that the individual holds a REAL ID card in another State the receiving State must take measures to confirm that the person has terminated or is terminating the REAL ID driver’s license or identification card issued by the prior State pursuant to State law, regulation or procedure.

Screenshot 2022-11-06 145912.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline

IME states usd to take the previous state's DL, but IME they don't now. YMMV.

Arizona DMV did not take my California REAL ID Drivers license.

This does not keep me awake at night at all. Maybe Arizona notified the California state DMV. Or maybe it didn't. Not my problem because I won't be using my California state DL to drive.

If I happened to use my California DL to use my AMC Stubs membership, it wouldn't bother me at all. Not that I am saying I did that. Not that I am saying I didn't. 

I advise your friend to do nothing because your friend didn't create this situation. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

You cannot have a license in two states. States forbid carrying multiple licenses because two licenses would allow drivers to use their second license if their other one was suspended or restricted.May 19, 2022

it is a big issue with auto insurance companies 

so ,  destroy the one in the state u are not living in

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

I wanted to keep my first US license and they just cut a corner off of it in MS to make it invalid. Problem solved.

13 minutes ago, Letspaintcookies said:

I wanted to keep my first US license and they just cut a corner off of it in MS to make it invalid. Problem solved.

I'm just wondering if it's actually that simple. Don't they need to cancel it in the background in some system/database? And the cut corner just signifies that they indeed copmpleted cancellation procedures. Kind of like with passports

Edited by od8mq
adding info

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

Call the DMV office and ask them. No need for names, block your number if you want to. Just tell them the problem and ask what to do. Or use a fake email if you want an answer in writing and think they'll follow up on your email name 😉 I can understand that you don't trust our suggestions but since probably nobody here works for your local dmv office we can't give you a 1000% correct answer.

When I moved states and went to DMV to change DL to new state I had my prior State DL with me and they took it and handled the prior State DL return. Why your friend wouldn’t be upfront he had a DL from a different state is beyond me especially since it cuts on number of steps to get a new DL (test, driving test). 

I’d go online to prior state DMV website and see how to mail back that DL to them with a note that I moved to a different state on date X. 

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I don't think it's a problem,  the same thing happened to me. When I moved from AZ to NC, NC never took my Az Driver's license. I recently moved back home. Thinking I still had a AZ license but found out it was deactivated.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

My husband still has every single one of his old, expired drivers licenses, it's probably 7 or 8 DLs by now. From two different states, at one time he had two valid DLs from different states. Never an issue. Neither of them are Real ID though, if that matters. 

Edited by Scandi

K-1: 12-22-2015 - 09-07-2016

AP: 12-20-2016 - 04-07-2017

EAD: 01-18-2017 - 05-30-2017

AOS: 12-20-2016 - 07-26-2017

ROC: 04-22-2019 - 04-22-2020
Naturalization: 05-01-2020 - 03-16-2021

U.S. passport: 03-30-2021 - 05-08-2021

En livstid i krig. Göteborg killed it. Epic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBs3G1PvyfM&ab_channel=Sabaton

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline
8 hours ago, milimelo said:

When I moved states and went to DMV to change DL to new state I had my prior State DL with me and they took it and handled the prior State DL return. Why your friend wouldn’t be upfront he had a DL from a different state is beyond me especially since it cuts on number of steps to get a new DL (test, driving test). 

I’d go online to prior state DMV website and see how to mail back that DL to them with a note that I moved to a different state on date X. 

OP said it was only State ID, not drivers license. So there are no "steps", no tests. You just apply and the card lands in your mailbox a couple of weeks later. 

I don't see the issue having two IDs, my husband has always kept all his old DLs/IDs, and sometimes even had two valid ones at a time from different states. It works. 

K-1: 12-22-2015 - 09-07-2016

AP: 12-20-2016 - 04-07-2017

EAD: 01-18-2017 - 05-30-2017

AOS: 12-20-2016 - 07-26-2017

ROC: 04-22-2019 - 04-22-2020
Naturalization: 05-01-2020 - 03-16-2021

U.S. passport: 03-30-2021 - 05-08-2021

En livstid i krig. Göteborg killed it. Epic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBs3G1PvyfM&ab_channel=Sabaton

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline

It’s fairly clear that state motor vehicle departments  have concluded that the REAL ID Act can’t force them to police this “one REAL ID at a time” provision.  

Without a National registry, which I predict  would be as free from error as the SAVE data base, this provision of the REAL ID act is not possible for states to reliably  enforce.  

It’s also clear that DHS has no appetite to rescind its certificate of REAL ID compliance from States that otherwise comply with the act.  It even has certified Washington state which doesn’t issue REAL ID and has no plans to do so.  

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.